Michelle Obama

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Why is it that she when she speaks to students about getting a good education like she did , she never mentions why she can't practice law anymore ?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It’s commencement season, America, and you know what that means: Michelle Obama is screwing up a bunch of ordinary people’s lives again.

This year, the first lady has caused hassle and hardship for many families of seniors graduating from Jackson State University, reports local ABC affiliate WAPT-TV.

To accommodate Obama’s schedule, officials at the historically black school in the capital of Mississippi have rescheduled the graduation ceremony from April 30 to April 23. They’ve also moved the time — twice, angry parents say.
What kind of family needs to bring over 60 people to a graduation ceremony for one kid. I'm calling BS on this lady's story.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Michelle Obama’s High-Achieving SOTU Guest Just Flunked Out Of College
Anthony Mendez was a freshman at the University of Hartford when he received an invitation from Obama to attend the State of the Union. Mendez was chosen for his inspiring personal story. Despite spending time in a homeless shelter and having a friend of his murdered while in high school, Mendez was able to graduate high school and go on to college. Mendez met with Michelle Obama in the summer of 2014 and shared his story with her, which prompted her to invite him to the president’s speech about six months later.
“Before even checking [my grades], I knew that I had failed all my classes,” Mendez says about his experience after his first term at Hartford. “With a GPA that didn’t even reach 1.0, I also knew that I wouldn’t be able to return next semester.”

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Michelle Obama’s High-Achieving SOTU Guest Just Flunked Out Of College
Anthony Mendez was a freshman at the University of Hartford when he received an invitation from Obama to attend the State of the Union. Mendez was chosen for his inspiring personal story. Despite spending time in a homeless shelter and having a friend of his murdered while in high school, Mendez was able to graduate high school and go on to college. Mendez met with Michelle Obama in the summer of 2014 and shared his story with her, which prompted her to invite him to the president’s speech about six months later.
“Before even checking [my grades], I knew that I had failed all my classes,” Mendez says about his experience after his first term at Hartford. “With a GPA that didn’t even reach 1.0, I also knew that I wouldn’t be able to return next semester.”

I spent two years at UMass-Amherst. My cumulative GPA at the end of those two years was just above 2.0. I dropped out but went on to earn both my 2 and 4 year degrees, plus 9 hours toward a Master's, while on active duty.

My son went to SUNY IT in Utica and was asked not to return after his freshman year due to his low GPA. He has since gone on to earn his 2 and 4 year degrees (with high honors) and his MBA. He is currently waiting on a job offer that he estimates will pay him in the mid $70's plus benefits.

I know that it is your mission to disparage the First Family whenever possible but could it be that the kid started his collegiate career with high hopes but that he was simply overwhelmed by the college experience? My son had a car while away at school. He became a taxi and his fares paid him with beer. He was destined to fail. My daughter said that my ex and I chose the school for him and perhaps there is some truth to that but it was a good school and had he applied himself he would have done very well.

oldngray

nowhere special
I spent two years at UMass-Amherst. My cumulative GPA at the end of those two years was just above 2.0. I dropped out but went on to earn both my 2 and 4 year degrees, plus 9 hours toward a Master's, while on active duty.

My son went to SUNY IT in Utica and was asked not to return after his freshman year due to his low GPA. He has since gone on to earn his 2 and 4 year degrees (with high honors) and his MBA. He is currently waiting on a job offer that he estimates will pay him in the mid $70's plus benefits.

I know that it is your mission to disparage the First Family whenever possible but could it be that the kid started his collegiate career with high hopes but that he was simply overwhelmed by the college experience? My son had a car while away at school. He became a taxi and his fares paid him with beer. He was destined to fail. My daughter said that my ex and I chose the school for him and perhaps there is some truth to that but it was a good school and had he applied himself he would have done very well.

As it is your mission to defend the Obamas against any criticism?

Babagounj

Strength through joy

What does any of this have to do with my posting of a homeless kid failing out of college ?
His college gave him a second semester to improve his grades , but he still failed .

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

And you are a UPS driver?

What was the purpose of getting those degrees.

It amazes me how many people have college degrees working manual labor jobs.

What a waste of time and money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does any of this have to do with my posting of a homeless kid failing out of college ?
His college gave him a second semester to improve his grades , but he still failed .

The point being that my parents sent me to UMass with the expectation that I would do well as I had done well in high school.

The point being that my ex and I sent our son to SUNY IT with the expectation that he would do well as he had done well in high school.

I am sure the young man in question entered college with the expectation that he would do well.

In all three of these scenarios the expectations far exceeded the results.

Stuff happens.

Anthonysg0113

This is true in my center as well. Half of our drivers have at least one degree they got while working part time at ups also. I don't understand that myself. Ups is the hardest manual labor job I've ever worked.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Becoming a UPS driver was not even on my radar. The plan was to move in to a corporate position upon my discharge from the Air Force. I sent out numerous resumes (yes, back then we had to physically send them out) and received zero responses. I had a young family to care for and the UPS gig fell in to my lap.

The government paid for 90% of my college.

What you call a waste of time and money I call a personal accomplishment.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Becoming a UPS driver was not even on my radar. The plan was to move in to a corporate position upon my discharge from the Air Force. I sent out numerous resumes (yes, back then we had to physically send them out) and received zero responses. I had a young family to care for and the UPS gig fell in to my lap.

The government paid for 90% of my college.

What you call a waste of time and money I call a personal accomplishment.
your own personal cheering squad......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am justifiably proud of my accomplishments.

Everyone in my immediate family has at least a 4 year degree.

My son, upon receiving his MBA, joked that he was now the highest educated member of our family.