Minimal Acceptable

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He/she would all of a sudden care when said courier got into an accident or hurt themselves while on "break". Of course, even with the manager knowing what said courier was doing, it would still all be the couriers fault. Sure, the DM might have a talk with the manager but the courier will sure get much worse.

I love the logic of this place. "Managers don't have a clue what couriers do," then "Managers know with 100% certainty who is working on their breaks, where they do it, when, and how much." LOVE IT!!

If a courier gets into an accident, he writes a statement about what happened. No one would likely know if he was making a delivery unless he said so verbally or indicated as much in his statement. And yes, it is a courier's fault if he's dumb enough to work through his break. If he has an at-fault accident while working on his break, it's still his fault.

MAKAVELI

I've been right there with you and the others with my unhappiness with the pay progression. Try paying attention. The changes to the pension and health insurance are not avoidable. Defined benefit pension plans are becoming fewer and fewer by the day; health insurance plans are becoming more expensive and providing less coverage. Not only at FedEx, but just about everywhere.

You can sit there with your arms folded and your bottom lip sticking out with the, "I don't care, I want it" attitude if you wish. Those benefits aren't coming back at FedEx and probably not anywhere else where they've similarly eroded. Pay is a different story and I hope that significant changes are made in that regard.

There are plenty of lousy couriers out there and they need to be held accountable for their performance or lack thereof. They don't need to be babied or coddled. They need to improve or be shown the door. It's not fair to their non-lazy coworkers. If you don't mind the lazies stealing from you by holding us all down, well, I don't know what to tell you.
The same lame excuses Dano. Really ? A multi billion dollar global company whose been in business for 40 + years doesn't know how to get productivity from its workers? You keep regurgitating the same old company line while the company rakes in profits and drives up the stock. Do you really think anyone buys that bullshat? Getting rid of the pension, wage progression, and lowering of health benefits was nothing they were FORCED to do. It was done purely to increase profits off the backs of its workers. This company has many dedicated, hard working individuals who have built this company and its brand. Now you have those same individuals realizing just how much the company appreciates them by taking away the very things that brought them here. It's quite simple. If you want productivity, and dedication, the company WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

59 Dano

The same lame excuses Dano. Really ? A multi billion dollar global company whose been in business for 40 + years doesn't know how to get productivity from its workers?

They know how, they just won't do it. It drives me nuts.

You keep regurgitating the same old company line while the company rakes in profits and drives up the stock. Do you really think anyone buys that bullshat? Getting rid of the pension, wage progression, and lowering of health benefits was nothing they were FORCED to do. It was done purely to increase profits off the backs of its workers.

If you say so. It's not like they have to compete in a global economy or anything.

This company has many dedicated, hard working individuals who have built this company and its brand. Now you have those same individuals realizing just how much the company appreciates them by taking away the very things that brought them here. It's quite simple. If you want productivity, and dedication, the company WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

If you say so, but I don't honestly think that an increase in pay will yield any increase in productivity.

MAKAVELI

They know how, they just won't do it. It drives me nuts.

If you say so. It's not like they have to compete in a global economy or anything.

If you say so, but I don't honestly think that an increase in pay will yield any increase in productivity.
Like you said, they know how, they just won't do it. Sounds like you are finally realizing where the blame actually lies. In Memphis.

vantexan

If your goal is raised to 7 SPH, and you're already running 7 SPH anyway... LOL, I give up with you.
Twisting words again? Who says they only raise the bar to the current level of performance? They raise it above and then write us up for not meeting goal. Never mind that others running said rt couldn't match the previous numbers. The one that excels isn't rewarded for going above and beyond, just pushed to do even more.

dezguy

I love the logic of this place. "Managers don't have a clue what couriers do," then "Managers know with 100% certainty who is working on their breaks, where they do it, when, and how much." LOVE IT!!

If a courier gets into an accident, he writes a statement about what happened. No one would likely know if he was making a delivery unless he said so verbally or indicated as much in his statement. And yes, it is a courier's fault if he's dumb enough to work through his break. If he has an at-fault accident while working on his break, it's still his fault.
You mean to tell me managers don't know who the super hero couriers who will do anything to make someone look bad, are? I've known plenty of managers, in my time who would turn a blind eye, so long as it was making them look good.

While it may be the couriers fault for being injured while working through break, it's not like the manager likely doesn't know what is going on. lol

l22

Twisting words again? Who says they only raise the bar to the current level of performance? They raise it above and then write us up for not meeting goal. Never mind that others running said rt couldn't match the previous numbers. The one that excels isn't rewarded for going above and beyond, just pushed to do even more.

Whenever a courier goes "above and beyond" which usually means speeding and running and then gets injured in either case trying to meet their "goal" and comes close to losing their job it hits the courier like a brick - this one writing in particular. There was a time when I ran, even a time I would go a little fast in the truck (sad to say). This was stupid of me to do but I felt extreme pressure from management and I admit I drank the kool-aid a little back then. But overtime management has really done a good job of showing me that they don't care about me what-so-ever and will throw me under the bus anytime they can cover their own behinds. That's why now I always go slow and have the lates that management has set me up to have. I'll take them over an accident/injury anyday. And if management tells me anything about on-road performance, one makes sure one goes even slower.

l22

Exactly. Memphis should grow the balls needed to fire employees who are underperforming.

You probably have a pretty distorted definition of what "underperforming" means in your mind. The majority of employees do not "underperform" even though management would like to think otherwise. This is part of the specious reasoning the majority of managers like you believe in so ignorantly, perhaps because it helps you sleep at night. The reality is that if it means greatly increasing the risk of getting into an accident in order to make service, smart employees cannot and will not take unsafe actions no matter how much pressure you put on them. And while you may think this is underperforming, it is actually putting "safety above all." Good day.

Code43

I was that Courier too, once. Now I just ask for Checkrides. I even had a bone headed manager insist on driving through MY break in between towns once.
Exactly. Memphis should grow the balls needed to fire employees who are underperforming.

And replace them with what? More couriers that can't reach the same unrealistic goals? The same goals set by managers that most likely wouldn't be able hit the goals either. That's typical FedEx logic.

59 Dano

You mean to tell me managers don't know who the super hero couriers who will do anything to make someone look bad, are? I've known plenty of managers, in my time who would turn a blind eye, so long as it was making them look good.

If a manager is knowingly allowing couriers to break the rules, why aren't you contacting your senior manager, HR, and your managing director? Your senior might not act on it, HR will be pretty interested, and the MD will be highly urinated off.

While it may be the couriers fault for being injured while working through break, it's not like the manager likely doesn't know what is going on. lol

Few managers pore over each and every courier's gap report every day. The M.O. in this district is to audit the gap reports of the focus couriers each day, plus any route that is 95% or lower and any route that is 105% or higher. Also, managers here have to submit the gap reports for any route that had a quality check for that day. For now, all of those reports are sent to the senior.

The only gray practice around here is couriers driving on break. Some monkey with shuttle codes, but that usually gets swatted down.

59 Dano

You probably have a pretty distorted definition of what "underperforming" means in your mind. The majority of employees do not "underperform" even though management would like to think otherwise. This is part of the specious reasoning the majority of managers like you believe in so ignorantly, perhaps because it helps you sleep at night. The reality is that if it means greatly increasing the risk of getting into an accident in order to make service, smart employees cannot and will not take unsafe actions no matter how much pressure you put on them. And while you may think this is underperforming, it is actually putting "safety above all." Good day.

If 2 hours of work are taken off of your route and you come in only 30 minutes earlier, then you're underperforming.

If your volume isn't increasing and you get back in later and later, with more service failures, then you're underperforming.

If someone who doesn't normally do that route can make service and SPH using proper methods on a checkride, and you can't, then you're underperforming.

If you've been on a route for 10 years and still can't sort your truck properly to avoid P1 overlook failures, then you're underperforming.

And so on.

59 Dano

And replace them with what? More couriers that can't reach the same unrealistic goals? The same goals set by managers that most likely wouldn't be able hit the goals either. That's typical FedEx logic.

That assumes that the goal is unreasonable just because the courier on the route says it is. Sometimes the courier's effort is not reasonable.

59 Dano

Man, they got you busy these days.

Well then, you tell me.

A courier's route (that he's had for 7 years) has more stops now and he's covering a smaller area -- vs 2 years ago. His SPH has dropped from around 10 SPH to about 8.5. He says his goal (10 SPH) is too high even though he had no problem making it back when it required more effort to do so. He's had his area reduced (he claimed that it was too much driving time), he's had a large stop moved to another route (he said that the 15 minutes spent at that stop was killing his numbers), and he's been given some of the early-ready PUPs in his area (he said that there isn't enough stops, despite his delivery stop count steadily increasing).

Keep in mind that he made his goal 2 years ago when he was covering more area with fewer stops, and with a big time-eating stop right in the middle of his day. Also keep in mind that the things he claimed were keeping him from making goal were remedied, but to no avail.

So... is his goal unreasonable? He says it is.

overflowed

Well then, you tell me.

A courier's route (that he's had for 7 years) has more stops now and he's covering a smaller area -- vs 2 years ago. His SPH has dropped from around 10 SPH to about 8.5. He says his goal (10 SPH) is too high even though he had no problem making it back when it required more effort to do so. He's had his area reduced (he claimed that it was too much driving time), he's had a large stop moved to another route (he said that the 15 minutes spent at that stop was killing his numbers), and he's been given some of the early-ready PUPs in his area (he said that there isn't enough stops, despite his delivery stop count steadily increasing).

Keep in mind that he made his goal 2 years ago when he was covering more area with fewer stops, and with a big time-eating stop right in the middle of his day. Also keep in mind that the things he claimed were keeping him from making goal were remedied, but to no avail.

So... is his goal unreasonable? He says it is.
Hey man. I do my job. His or hers is not my concern. The milkers you complain about, which are not that many in number, are a manifestation of your policies.

dezguy

If a manager is knowingly allowing couriers to break the rules, why aren't you contacting your senior manager, HR, and your managing director? Your senior might not act on it, HR will be pretty interested, and the MD will be highly urinated off.

Few managers pore over each and every courier's gap report every day. The M.O. in this district is to audit the gap reports of the focus couriers each day, plus any route that is 95% or lower and any route that is 105% or higher. Also, managers here have to submit the gap reports for any route that had a quality check for that day. For now, all of those reports are sent to the senior.

The only gray practice around here is couriers driving on break. Some monkey with shuttle codes, but that usually gets swatted down.
So because "the only gray practice around here is couriers driving on break", that is the case in all stations? And please tell me how driving on break is a "gray area". Break is a rest period. I don't find it very restful driving around in a W700.

The methods of increasing productivity I cited before certainly exist at the station I work at and it is well known which couriers utilize those methods by both the workforce and management.

1fedexFAILURE

So because "the only gray practice around here is couriers driving on break", that is the case in all stations? And please tell me how driving on break is a "gray area". Break is a rest period. I don't find it very restful driving around in a W700.

The methods of increasing productivity I cited before certainly exist at the station I work at and it is well known which couriers utilize those methods by both the workforce and management.
Happens everyday at every station..you are dead on it..