More *^%$ snow

rod

Retired 22 years
I have a high-efficiency natural gas furnace which never gets used because I prefer to heat with my woodstove.

During the summer months I log onto Craigslist every day and check the "free" section for firewood. 99% of the time what is available is just crap, someone tore down an old deck and is trying to get rid of a bunch of rotten lumber, but every once in awhile somebody with no fireplace will have a tree felled on their property and they wind up with a bunch of green unsplit rounds to get rid of. I have about 4 cords of good quality firewood (oak, Douglas fir, maple) that cost me nothing but a few hours of work and $20 worth of gas for my truck. Splitting and stacking firewood is good excercise and I enjoy it.

I love coming home on a cold winter day and warming my hands and butt up in front of a hot crackling fire in the woodstove.

My wife didn't fall for that line either.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sober

I am setting up running the shop on a wood stove. IT will also heat the water for the fish. They live in about 15,000 gallons divided up between 17 tanks, and 60+ aquariums. That part is a bit tricky, as I want to heat the water, and keep it steady, without overheating.

But like you, the wood seems to be plentiful, and I enjoy runnin a chain saw.

As for the snow, we have had more this year than for quite a while, and at times has hung around for two weeks or more, unusual for here. Ususally it is gone in a week.

But then again it is only february...........

Anyone going to the Bristol race this spring?

d

getting the tree on the ground is the easy part. Now if I had one of these

[video=youtube;hhmKBDIAXd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmKBDIAXd0[/video]

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
So did I...It's been 10 years since I last wore long pants. It was Xmas Eve during a very severe winter storm on a rural route in an area that's as wealthy as they come. It was the biggest day of peak, everyone waited till the last minute and ordered their gifts NDA.
I wore shorts to work today =)

moreluck

golden ticket member
BishR20110223_low.jpg

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Oh no we have a lot of Nat Gas, some eletric. Actaully my home is pretty good on heat I have a lot of south facing windows I get a lot of passive solar heating. I spend about 30 to 40% less on my heating then many people around me with homes about the same size.

I also have solar panels on my roof for my hot water saves a ton on my eletric bill with basically free hot water, unless the sun does not come out for days and they are covered by snow.

When my oil burner needs to be replaced I am pretty certian I will go over to nat. gas.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Heating oil is the primary fuel source, which is why people in the Northeast are concerned about Obama's plan to cut LIHEAP funds by 50%.

I use electric baseboard heaters because electricity is very cheap in my town but is very expensive elsewhere.

If I could get the wife to cut, split and stack it I'd burn wood.

My wife didn't fall for that line either.
we use baseboard heating as we had propane, and the furnace died. At that time my husband couldnt install a new one and my friend installed electrical heat. Its nice and warm, but 350 a month, and we burn wood. And my house is a glorious 725 sq foot.
So every yr we split wood, its cheap, we find it or get it free.
but 6 to 9 more tonight, it seems like spring will never be here. ......
I would love to go to Bristol. visited the track, but not while they were racing~ went after the tx race one yr on the way home, so high compared to tx all spread out.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In my Orange County Register, the picture on the weather page for Saturday showed a big cloud, some rain drops and a couple of snow flakes. SNOW!
In S. CA. ???

They said the cold front we are getting is coming from Canada (thanks Klein) and snow levels will dip to 500 ft. Yikes! That will hamper the drive to Vegas by closing the Cajon Pass and it will also close the Grapevine on the other side of L.A.

Good weekend to stay home and make soup or chili.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Turns out, no snow here....but I did hear that San Fran got a dusting. We got rain last night anfd a little this morning, but it's sunny & cold out right now.