movie review

over9five

Staff member
Land of the Lost and Terminator Salvation playing at the drive-in this weekend.

Have no real interest in Land of the Lost, don't like Will Ferrell....

But might go anyhow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This weekend will be either "The Hangover" or "Land of the Lost" but it is supposed to be in the 70s all weekend so I will probably end up doing something outside.

over9five

Staff member
Saw Land of the Lost and Terminator Salvation at the drive-in last night.

Land of the Lost was actually pretty funny. If you have nothing else to do, go see it.

Terminator Salvation was....... a Terminator movie. (If you liked the others, you'll like this one). You never make a connection with John Connor, I liked the "other" guy more.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Saw Land of the Lost and Terminator Salvation at the drive-in last night.

Ya'll still have drive-ins up there? We used to have them, I have lots of fond memories from there. People used to take their lawn chairs, grills, and "Sunday Beer" for Sunday night. Saturday night was date night. I don't remember the movies too much, the windows would get too fogged up to see out of for some reason.......

wkmac

Ya'll still have drive-ins up there? We used to have them, I have lots of fond memories from there. People used to take their lawn chairs, grills, and "Sunday Beer" for Sunday night. Saturday night was date night. I don't remember the movies too much, the windows would get too fogged up to see out of for some reason.......

Yeah, I'm envious of Over as well.

Scratch,

Someone recently told me there is a drive in on Moreland Ave. but I don't know that to be true.

A funny story about a drive in. Back in the mid to late 80's we had good friends living in East Tennessee not far from Telico Plains. By chance one day up there I heard someone mention a drive in located just east of Athens and since it had been years, I told the wife let's go just for the fun of it regardless of the movie. (Was I gonna eat those words!) So as the afternoon changed to early evening, off we went to the drive in theater. This was gonna be a real treat but were we ever in for a shock. When we got up to the entrance to read the marque of what great movie we would see, turns out this drive in was all triple X movies. I think the look on our shocked faces would be what you'd call priceless!
:happy-very: And no, we didn't go. As you mentioned the foggy windows, I can only imagine the windows in that place! :happy-very:

My wife enquired if I thought they still had a playground and in what way the swings would be used! I almost wrecked the truck on that question. :wink2:

When we got back to our friends house, they enquired with large smiling faces about did we enjoy the movie. I'd wondered why their excuse not going with us seemed questionable. We all had a good laugh and then went over to some local friends house for some killer blue grass music.

Over,

Enjoy the drive in and enjoy the fact that we envy you!

over9five

Staff member
For you guys that want a memory jolt, here ya go!

Drive-in002.jpg

We were there kinda early, picked up pizza on the way. The lot filled up pretty good for "Land", but a lot of people left before "Terminator". Probably the people with young kids.

Used to be a drive-in down the street (CHEMA!) from where I grew up. As Scratch said, it was THE place to go on a date.

jennie

Watched Revolutionary Road with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, depressing, thats all I can say. I like both but sad movie.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Watched "Burn After Reading" last night. Typical dark Coen brother's comedy with lots of good actors in quirky roles, but kind of uneven. It almost felt like the directors weren't entirely sure how to tie it all together. Worth watching if you enjoyed their other films like "Fargo", "Miller's Crossing", etc. After that we watched National Lampoon's Vacation :).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is an independent film called "Frozen River" which was filmed here in Upstate NY. It is the story of a single mother trying to save enough money to accept delivery of her new double wide (mobile home). She has fallen on hard times and ends up working with a local Native American smuggling illegal aliens across the US/Canadian border. Excellent movie which received Oscar consideration.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I remember reading a lot of good things about "Frozen River". Thanks for reminding me about it, it just went on my netflix list. Speaking of netflix, they have all 3 seasons of "Kung-Fu" available, which I have just added in honor of David Carradine's passing.

over9five

Staff member
Speaking of netflix, they have all 3 seasons of "Kung-Fu" available, which I have just added in honor of David Carradine's passing.

I'm not sure I can ever watch those again without picturing a 72 year old Carradine with rope tied around his....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Played hooky today and snuck off with Ms Jones to see Wolverine at the matinee. Much better than I thought it would be after some of the reviews that I read. Filled in a lot of backstory, and I liked that they brought in Gambit and foreshadowed the relationship between Scott Summers and Emma Frost. Script could have been better, I would love to see them bring in someone like Joss Whedon, but he's a busy man. All in all a well spent afternoon.