movie review

wkmac

Put me down as a fan of "The Bucket List." A similar and just as enjoyable movie IMO is Secondhand Lions.

dilligaf,

I feel Dan Brown does have some axe to grind with the Catholic Church and I can understand some catholics being put out with that. I mean, in my mind Opus Dei is a bit wierd for me but are they some sinister plot? Not hardly. I have to admire their devotion to their cause and it's not to destroy the Holy Grail!
:happy-very:

Angels and Demons seem most interesting as many of the leading free thinkers of the 18th century were in fact of history looked upon poorly by the church and most often associated with conspiratoral plots via the illuminati and Freemasonry. Lots of these guys are my philsophical heros. Big :happy-very: Does this make me illuminati material? :wink2: Can I get an invite to Bohemian Grove? :devil3:

This antagonism of history between church and freethinkers would seem an awesome plotline to build a very intense and intriging storyline for book and movie.

I'm a horrible fiction reader (I find it boring, don't ask) as I am an exclusive non-fiction fan so I'm the person who never reads the book and waits on the movies. Somebody as to do this and it's just my lot in life!
:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I enjoyed Secondhand Lions.......Haley Joel Osment's voice was changing during that film.

I do believe that Michael Caine (love him or hate him) is the workingest (word?)actor ever !! :wink2:

Overpaid Union Thug

I was highly disappointed with "Star Trek." Visually it was pretty damn good. The special effects and acting I mean. The guy that plays "Bones" was pretty freakin good. I've seen every episode of every Star Trek show (minus the cartoon) and all of the movies. Its hard to remember every little detail about all of them after so long but I still noticed some holes in the story.

**SPOILER ALERT Don't read the rest of this if you haven't seen the movie yet!**

The movie pretty much wipes out all of the Star Trek that we've all known because a man from the future ("Next Generation" era) travels back in time and really jacks things up. He first appears when Capt. Kirk is about to be born and then reappears as he's joining Starfleet. The Spock from the future is involved and gets stranded in the past as well. He even meets his younger self. Based on the way the movie ends he can't continue to exist in the past as the same Spock because the entire flow of time from the end of the movie is changed.

Also....in several of the Star Trek (next generation era) tv shows there is a group of people from 900 years in the future that monitors all time travel and makes sure that things like what happens in this movie doesn't happen. They even appeared in "Enterprise." That show with the guy from "Quantum Leep." I hear there are plenty of other holes in the story that only one of those hardcore "Trekies" could pick up on. I guess my disappointment comes from the fact that Star Trek has been off and on for so many years and now this movie coms along and all but erases everything that happened in all of the shows and movies.

tourists24

wow,,, you are the first person I know of to see Star Trek that didnt like it. Im sure they're out there, but no one I have heard it from. I saw it today with my son and it is one of the best movies Ive seen in a while. Now I am one who always loved the original series and the movies that go along with it, but have never been a fan of the next generations; so that may have something to do with it. I didnt feel a complete connection with the movie compared to the original series characters, but loved the movie all the same. If one thing freaked me out a little was the love interest of Spock and Uhura...lol

wkmac

Big,

That does suk that they monkeyed with the Star Trek storyline as we know it. Having paid the price in school (less sleeep)of staying up on Thursday nights and watching the original Star Trek on NBC, I'm just having a hard time bringing myself to go see it. After your comments I may not and I'm glad you in effect spilled the beans! Thanks.

My kids saw it yesterday and liked it so I guess the franchise may start anew with a new generation.

Wife and I saw the late showing last night of Angels and Demons and it was very good. If you love "who done it's" this one doesn't disappoint IMO. Lots of twists and turns who surprises at the end. Sorry, no spoilers from me. I do give it a "worth seeing" for whatever that's worth.

Don't remember the name but a couple of comedy/chik flicks coming out soon that might be worth seeing. The one that I'd like to see just to see how she pulls it off is a movie (sorry, don't remember the name) where Meryl Streep plays Julie Child. No CIA suspense, it's all about cooking and comedy. The previews at least were funny so I might take a chance.

And the new Terminator movie peaked my interest and after the first 2 I never gave the franchise much thought. IMO the first should have been left to stand alone but I guess somewhere you had to introduce young John Conner and the governator needed the work. :happy-very:

Hey More,

Your tax bill today is obviously going higher than mine!
:happy-very: at both of us!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We watched Australia (Hugh Jackman) last weekend. The previews make it look like a chic flik but it is really good. Has a lot of history involved in it. Aboriginal history and WW2 history. I did not know about the WW2 part of it. Good movie.

moreluck

golden ticket member
A Julia Child movie is on it's way? According to Variety, Columbia Pictures is adapting Julie Powell's book Julia and Julie: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen, about the author's year-long attempt to cook all the recipes in Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and detail it in her food blog (and then book). In the movie, which will simply be titled Julia and Julie, Powell will be portrayed by Amy Adams and Child will be played by Meryl Streep

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Watched "Synechdoche, New York" yesterday. I honestly can't even begin to explain it. If you liked "Adaptation" or "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", then you will probably enjoy it, but it's a weird one.

over9five

Staff member
Think we're going to the drive-in this weekend.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

and

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I think I've seen X-Men movies before, but I have not seen the first "Night" movie.

DS

Fenderbender
Wow 9.5 I just watched both those previews and talk about 2 different movies...the Ben Stiller one looks really stupid IMHO
Wolverine on the other hand looks great

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
http://who2.com/ask/benstiller.html

ben-stiller.jpg

UPSNewbie

To big_arrow and wkmac, the majority of this Star Trek's story line came from the animated series. Also, a second one of this "movie series" has already been green-lighted.

Speaking of Star Trek and also Star Wars I watched the movie Fanboys on dvd. It was quite funny with lots of cameos for the folks with a bit of nerd in them.

bigbrownhen

Im not a big Ben Stiller fan either, but the first Night at the Museum was better than I thought it would be. Robin Williams was pretty funny as Teddy Roosevelt. Looking forward to the new Night movie. Might be my little girl's first movie at the theater. I have the first one set to tape and will watch it with her to see if she likes it.

over9five

Staff member
Went to drive-in last night:

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

I didn't much like it. Somebody mentioned Robin Williams playing Teddy Roosevelt, well you'll be disapointed. He played the part, but they really didn't give him anything funny to do.
Stiller, I know who he is now, don't like him too much.
Not worth seeing (for an adult). There were a million young children there, maybe good for them.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

This was better. Lots of action, at least.