My first PVD encounter

quad decade guy

Stopped in my favorite "cheap" conv. store/gas station for gas this last Friday. A PVD was delivering several bulky strapped together boxes. I observed while filling my bike up- no 2 wheeler dolly. Her ride was a nice/newer Toyota SUV 4 dr. She was 65 at least. Looked and built in a "matronly" figure. So, she made at least 3 trips. Nosed into the stop. Used the thin, sharp clear plastic bands on the boxes. No gloves. I guess everything we are trained not to do. Her pace was leisurely at best. Ok. I said hi and asked if I could offer a piece of advice. Her: "Ok". Me: "those straps will cut pretty easily and probably should be avoided". Her: "They are JUST potato chip boxes....". She then lost interest pretty quickly. Me too. Shrug.
Another lost cause.

So many.

Just...."I'm just gonna.." From PE to PVD's....I'm just....

GenericUsername

I had a PVD deliver a Target package into my mailbox the other day. Then she came back again several hours later to deliver a small box. Then she came back a third time to deliver a bigger box at the door. I don't really understand what the heck these people are trained on to be quite honest.

quad decade guy

I had a PVD deliver a Target package into my mailbox the other day. Then she came back again several hours later to deliver a small box. Then she came back a third time to deliver a bigger box at the door. I don't really understand what the heck these people are trained on to be quite honest.
Well, consider the source....my ORS team(all of them) never drove a feeder. None. Never. Can they really teach? IDK. Watch any feeder operation/pkg etc. You will be amazed.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Stopped in my favorite "cheap" conv. store/gas station for gas this last Friday. A PVD was delivering several bulky strapped together boxes. I observed while filling my bike up- no 2 wheeler dolly. Her ride was a nice/newer Toyota SUV 4 dr. She was 65 at least. Looked and built in a "matronly" figure. So, she made at least 3 trips. Nosed into the stop. Used the thin, sharp clear plastic bands on the boxes. No gloves. I guess everything we are trained not to do. Her pace was leisurely at best. Ok. I said hi and asked if I could offer a piece of advice. Her: "Ok". Me: "those straps will cut pretty easily and probably should be avoided". Her: "They are JUST potato chip boxes....". She then lost interest pretty quickly. Me too. Shrug.
Another lost cause.

So many.

Who cares? Why waste your time? PVD’s are here for a few weeks , gets hurt?, oh well...Next!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

They have been making us meet the PVDs on road and give them work. It is good because we can control how much work is given away to them, but also means we are just throwing them stuff from the shelf of a bricked out truck. Often we will end up meeting them a second time and giving them the stuff for their area that turned up on the wrong shelf or couldn’t fit in their tiny car the first time. But yes their training is even worse than what we got as new drivers. One guy genuinely didn’t know if he was allowed to deliver into mailboxes or not.

GenericUsername

They have been making us meet the PVDs on road and give them work. It is good because we can control how much work is given away to them, but also means we are just throwing them stuff from the shelf of a bricked out truck. Often we will end up meeting them a second time and giving them the stuff for their area that turned up on the wrong shelf or couldn’t fit in their tiny car the first time. But yes their training is even worse than what we got as new drivers. One guy genuinely didn’t know if he was allowed to deliver into mailboxes or not.
We've been delivering to storage units near their delivery area...then inevitably having to go there again to take all the stops that are left after our routes are done. It's not terrible, but the drivers who are dropping off are just leaving everything in a pile and letting the PVD fend for their self. I get it, they want to start their stuff, but the guys who are dropping off are only doing that + bulk stops then pickups/sweeps, so it really isn't benefitting them in the slightest bit not helping out the PVD for 10-15 minutes.

Rack em

Made the Podium
We've been delivering to storage units near their delivery area...then inevitably having to go there again to take all the stops that are left after our routes are done. It's not terrible, but the drivers who are dropping off are just leaving everything in a pile and letting the PVD fend for their self. I get it, they want to start their stuff, but the guys who are dropping off are only doing that + bulk stops then pickups/sweeps, so it really isn't benefitting them in the slightest bit not helping out the PVD for 10-15 minutes.
The scabs get paid by the hour too, let them sort as much as they need to.

quad decade guy

That’s the best pick-up line you could come up with?
?
No man I'm married. 30 years.

Not only wrong but stupidly so. As always...
I'm sure it was, I get frito lay boxes like that all the time, they weigh nothing and the straps aren't sharp at all, most of the time they don't even stay together through the hub.
Shrug. Not my hands...Just good methods to never use straps as we were trained. Shrug.

Interesting how folks on BC will do ANYTHING to help an illegal but yet will throw a 65 yo woman to the wolves.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
?

Shrug. Not my hands...Just good methods to never use straps as we were trained. Shrug.

Interesting how folks on BC will do ANYTHING to help an illegal but yet will throw a 65 yo woman to the wolves.
So you don’t flirt with other women ever for 30 years?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
?

If you were so concerned about the elderly woman carrying chips, why didn’t you lend a hand to help?

ManInBrown

I would absolutely freak if I was still in package and had to deal with PVD’s. 15+ driver follow ups every week for crap I didn’t deliver. It would be a war between me and the center to give these people work.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
?

I’m surprised your shoulders still work with all the shrugging you do.

Also not even going to get into how you list “illegal” and “woman” as mutually exclusive categories.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Another lost cause.

So many.

Over 15 years. Every single package that intact straps I pick up by the straps. Been cut once. Never wore gloves a day in my life at work.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I would absolutely freak if I was still in package and had to deal with PVD’s. 15+ driver follow ups every week for crap I didn’t deliver. It would be a war between me and the center to give these people work.

Luckily I don't have a PVD tethered to my route. Last year I did and I spent what felt like until Groundhog Day cleaning up the mess they left behind by misdelivering and losing crap.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
?

You realize you’re the clown of this forum now that Nancy’s gone

Don’t you

pierregarcon

Had some dealings with them when Covid was really hitting us hard. From what I pieced together is that they have an app on their phone. They scan a package, it shows them where to go, and they do. Not sure if it shows piece count. So watching stops come out of my board you could see these PVD's just driving around in circles all day. They would just scan a random package, deliver it, and repeat. Seems management didn't car in terms of efficiency. After a bit seemed most of them figured out we needed them, so they would just put in the minimum effort. Even had one try and tell me he's only taking X number of stops. Shut the back door and told him to get lost. He wasn't going to dictate to me his stop count.