Recent On Call

MassWineGuy

A few weeks back I was just on my way out of a town I go to each day. I had two stops that were closing in less than 30 minutes and it would take at least 15 to get there if traffic was good. Then I realized I had a resi on call in that town that inexplicably had a 5:30 close time. I zoomed over.

Standing outside of the three story apartment building, the push button calling system was broken, so I had to call the customer to come down and let me in. Already a good sign.

I then followed her up three flights of stairs to her apartment where she had about six very large, heavy boxes. I asked and of course she told me “Oh, there is no elevator.” It would take me at least 15 minutes to haul them downstairs. I didn’t have a two wheeler.

Noticing that many boxes were still open and unlabeled, I uttered the magic words that sometimes work miracles for a courier: Are they all ready?

The sun was shining brightly as she answered “No.” As painful as it was for me to say, I had to tell her that I was so sorry but I couldn’t wait for her to finish packing and that we would be back the next day. That is, someone, not me.

I hustled back to my van and made my two soon-to-close stops in time.

AB831

Resi on-calls were always the worst. Too many customers have no idea what to do.

Don't miss them a bit.
They have no idea what to do and then become furious at YOU for not being able to accommodate whatever misconception they had. I had a guy trying to ship 9 boxes to Nigeria with no airbill, no account number, and no address. He handed me a cell phone number and told me to "call his sister" because she knows what to do.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Standing outside of the three story apartment building, the push button calling system was broken, so I had to call the customer to come down and let me in.

PUX that bad boy. If there's a "customer controlled access" entry, use that. Otherwise "customer delay."

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They have no idea what to do and then become furious at YOU for not being able to accommodate whatever misconception they had. I had a guy trying to ship 9 boxes to Nigeria with no airbill, no account number, and no address. He handed me a cell phone number and told me to "call his sister" because she knows what to do.
So you left the boxes behind?

whenIgetthere

And how do homes have close times?

I get resi closes at noon every few of weeks. They won't budge on times, and they are in gated communities. Have had to take P1 lates a few times when I'm heavy. to break route to get them. Only good thing is they're OSD, but dispatch has called them and they insist on 1200 closes. I am in an AM area.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I get resi closes at noon every few of weeks. They won't budge on times, and they are in gated communities. Have had to take P1 lates a few times when I'm heavy. to break route to get them. Only good thing is they're OSD, but dispatch has called them and they insist on 1200 closes. I am in an AM area.
Send dispatch your ETA and stick to it unless your manager gets involved. Deliveries are guaranteed on time, PUPS aren’t. If dispatch won’t/can’t update, take the late.

Company stupidity.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Send dispatch your ETA and stick to it unless your manager gets involved. Deliveries are guaranteed on time, PUPS aren’t. If dispatch won’t/can’t update, take the late.

Company stupidity.
Actually, FedEx management has always said that ontime pickups are more important than ontime deliveries.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To Nigeria, huh?

The guy and his sister were both getting scammed by someone over there. Brother and sister from the family known as gullible.

Star B

White Lightening
Really? In any case, service guarantees have been suspended.
the people we really, really, REALLY, should be pleasing are the shippers, as they are the ones giving us the money. the rcpts are just part of the chain, but for the most part, they dont get a choice on who is the carrier.

MassWineGuy

I suppose so. But for sending a letter overnight or for many international shipments, Express is either the only practical option or the most economical one.