National Strike Vote

JackStraw

Local 89 is doing what H&H said they were going to do at all the rallies. I went to a contract rally and left feeling proud to be a Teamster. I thought, "Finally we're going stick up to UPS and get what we want" Those two guys were acting like rock stars. People shaking hands, backslapping, even getting autographs. Oh well.

bluebiker

I'm not sure how it works, but does the IBT also negotiate supplements to the Master? Otherwise I'm not sure Hoffa and Hall have much pull...sounds to me this is more a political hijack. Don't get me wrong everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but it seems like L89 would like to see this go to a strike!

Sent using BrownCafe App

I don't know if the IBT also negotiates supplements, I do know there were people from the IBT in Washington around local 177 "advising" us to vote YES on our 2nd round of supplements. I also got a quite a few mailings to that effect.

I felt this was very unseemly. The people from the International and the mailings all seemed to stress that we wouldn't get the raises, etc. until the supplement passed. I don't recall any fine print stating the FACT that raises would be a: retroactive, and b: that nothing would go into effect until ALL the supplements passed.

I really got the feeling the International wanted this all to pass so their incomes were assured. Let alone the money spent on the IBT's "Vote Yes" campaign.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
There are international trade reps and other high-level guys from the package division sitting in on the supplemental negotiations. IBT has sat in on supplemental negotiations in the past.

TheFigurehead

The extra $ is an added benefit to all of this, but what I really want is to be able to kiss my little girl goodnight before she falls asleep, more than twice a week!

This. I feel for you. As a father of a 3 year old girl who works the midnight shift so that I can stay home during the day with her (and provide my family with health insurance), I'd give up my retro pay (yeah... I know it's not a whole lot anyway) in a second for the ability for drivers to spend some time with their kids.

I realize that there are tons of guys who don't mind (or don't have young kids) and are happy to make tons of extra cash, but there are tons of you guys missing out on your kids lives so that UPS can work you to death in order to line their pockets.

I do understand that most folks know the deal going in... but it doesn't need to be that way. One shouldn't have to decide between feeding their family and raising their family. Your job is supposed the be a job, not a lifestyle. The pay is great, but so is the sacrifice.

I came into this company with an eye on, someday, becoming a driver... but now that I've seen how UPS treats it's drivers, there is not enough money in the world to convince me to sacrifice that much time with my wife and child.

We've all got different values, clearly, but, at least in my opinion, the choice a perspective driver faces is not one anyone should have to make. It would be one thing if UPS were in dire financial straits, and could not afford to hire the appropriate amount of employees to properly staff their business... but that's not the case. It's greed, pure and simple.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Ain't gonna happen either.

Exactly. A lot of people don't really understand the process, which is fair because the IBT constitution is a bit of a bear to read.

A strike authorization vote is only a vote to authorize a strike. It is not a vote to strike. The authority to strike, once authorized, is given to the National Master Negotiating Committee not to the individual locals/areas covered by a supplement.

If the members vote down a strike authorization on the 3rd vote of their supplement, the agreement can be imposed by the NMNC. There's nothing (that I've found) in the IBT constitution that describes a scenario wherein a supplement is voted down along with a strike authorization and there's still an impasse..

Butters243

The problem is when Fred gets what he asks for then he changes his mind and wants something else. How do you deal with someone that's unreasonable and his Ultimate goal is achieving his political agenda. He's a madman.
Exactly. Worldport is holding the rest of the country hostage . He's made himself known to all IBT members but it could backfire on him if this continues.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have heard thru the grapevine Local 89 dosent want to change Healthcare plans( from UPS to Teamster) and have found if they keep voting down the supplement they can delay changing plans . If this is indeed the case ,then in my opinion this local is selfishly manipulating the system

Satuirus2000

You all are giving too much power to 89 at the moment. What are you all even talking about? I'm from Local 89 and we aren't holding the country hostage or manipulating the system or whatever. Last I checked we weren't the only Local that rejected our supplement and we couldn't hold anything hostage currently if we wanted to because the company hasn't even TALKED to our union in months about any possible changes. You can't vote again on something when no one is talking so don't try to lay the blame all on us. That's ridiculous. No one's happy about healthcare but there are other issues in our union that need to be addressed that don't revolve around just going into teamcare.

slaveofbigbrown

You all are giving too much power to 89 at the moment. What are you all even talking about? I'm from Local 89 and we aren't holding the country hostage or manipulating the system or whatever. Last I checked we weren't the only Local that rejected our supplement and we couldn't hold anything hostage currently if we wanted to because the company hasn't even TALKED to our union in months about any possible changes. You can't vote again on something when no one is talking so don't try to lay the blame all on us. That's ridiculous. No one's happy about healthcare but there are other issues in our union that need to be addressed that don't revolve around just going into teamcare.
Do what you guys gotta do! I'm not complaining nor in any hurry. Its just more money for me that the wife don't know about! :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Stonefish

You local leadership is obviously lying to you because they have met.

RealPerson

I am happy keeping my current healthcare.
What one would you rather have?
Your current one, or the better one for FT, AFTER the first Vote No?
I am assuming, you are FT.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
yep, won't happen, at least nationally. The local will go on strike which could be just as effective if the media take hold of this.

The local cannot strike. We have "WILDCAT" provisions in our national agreement preventing them. It ANY strike would happen, it would have to be voted on FIRST by the whole country regardless if your local passed the riders or supplements.

Seeing that the likelyhood of a national strike is not very good, dont forget that the company can still LOCK US OUT until all the remaining locals accept the contract.

That would mean "We" would be on the street until all riders and supplementals are ratified.

The company could play this hand, so stay tuned.

TOS.

kingOFchester

That would mean "We" would be on the street until all riders and supplementals are ratified.

The company could play this hand, so stay tuned.

TOS.

I have a hard time believing a Joe six pack off the street could jump behind the wheel of a Brown turd and get more then 50% of the work we do daily. We do not have enough trucks for our center now, so it isn't just simply adding more trips. The PR would be devastating. They would not be able to hide service failures on a national level under the weather exception as they do now.

Not saying I am for a strike, because I am not. Just saying that locking us out would be an epic fail. Hell, ups has enough epic fails on a daily basis without throwing in Joe Scab Pack.

upschuck

They would not lock us out. They wanted the contract done early, to reassure the shippers to not bolt to another company, and locking us out would only do what they did not want to happen.

upschuck

I have heard thru the grapevine Local 89 dosent want to change Healthcare plans( from UPS to Teamster) and have found if they keep voting down the supplement they can delay changing plans . If this is indeed the case ,then in my opinion this local is selfishly manipulating the system
I would not be surprised if HC is another thing that gets puts into affect, even without total ratification. That would squelch some of the no votes, and both UPS and Union want this thing to be finished. Union more than UPS, since they are making a lot of money holding our money.