Need Advice (On-car is......)

Jsknaub1985

So I just finished my training last week and just finished my second day out and about as a seasonal driver with my on-car supervisor. Now, before I get into this I would just like to say that so far I actually REALLY like this job and enjoy the work. I don't mind the long hours and how labor intensive it is either. With that said, here goes

My on-car supervisor/trainer is SO SO SO difficult to please. It seems like I cannot do ANYTHING right in his eyes, AT ALL. Not only does the guy get frustrated and just start yelling at me but he doesn't actually take the time to show me how to improve, he just yells some more. I get no advice from him what so ever. I get nothing but a condescending "Your an idiot" tone. He offers no help and just gets frustrated immediately. It's almost like he expects me to know everything about this job and how to be 150% efficient on my second day out. It's gotten to the point where I just can't deal with this guy. There is no constructive criticism at all, it's just "Your doing it wrong, hurry up, move faster, why are you still looking for a package in that box car that was just stuffed with box's with complete disregard for the HIN sorting system". I get ZERO slack and no advice on how to improve my efficiency. Today, alone, in a 4 hour period I delivered 110 packages off another guys load, on his route that I do not know at ALL. Not good enough for my on car and no help from him either.

What do I do? I'm really frustrated and feeling really discouraged too. I don't want to quit because I really like this job but this guy is just intolerable. Should I talk to my supervisor about getting another on-car? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some of you had a similar on-car experience.

*I should note that I did not get to go to intergrad being a seasonal and my training consisted of 2 weeks worth of training crammed into 1 week.*

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Its only three weeks until your services will no longer be needed. Get a jump and find a new job that will last longer than three weeks. Your sup won't care if you pull him aside and tell him how you feel.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Lol sounds just like an on car I know. If by some odd chance it is the one I'm thinking of. Don't worry he's the idiot trust me. Just keep doing your best.

If you're really worried take it up with your center manager that you don't feel like you're being properly trained.

Brownslave688

Its only three weeks until your services will no longer be needed. Get a jump and find a new job that will last longer than three weeks. Your sup won't care if you pull him aside and tell him how you feel.
I'm gonna take a guess that the op is a part timer working as a seasonal driver.

Jsknaub1985

I'm actually full time seasonal driver right now.

And that's the biggest problem I am having is that I don't really feel like I am learning much of anything. Which will make me about as useful as a cup of water in a forest fire when crunch time really ramps up. I don't want to be that guy. I'm a hard worker with a strong work ethic and I take pride in the work I do.

Brownslave688

And that's the biggest problem I am having is that I don't really feel like I am learning much of anything. Which will make me about as useful as a cup of water in a forest fire when crunch time really ramps up. I don't want to be that guy. I'm a hard worker with a strong work ethic and I take pride in the work I do.
Yes I know you're a seasonal driver but do you work at ups part time the rest of the year? Or is this strictly a 1 month gig?

scooby0048

Again, in three weeks none of this will matter. Work at your own pace. It matters not if you sling 400 stops or 100, the chances of staying on afterwards is slim and even if you do, you still have to be qualified.

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
Ask the dude a million questions all day about how to do everything. Make him feel all important. He knows he'll be useless to you in a week when you have a better idea of how it goes out there. Maybe that'll get him off your ass a little. Just work hard and safely. At the end of the day, you'll know you put in a honest effort, and if the dude is still on your case, get used to it. Welcome to the club.

Jsknaub1985

Yes I know you're a seasonal driver but do you work at ups part time the rest of the year? Or is this strictly a 1 month gig?

I was told when I was hired that it was a 1 month thing, but that they were going to need to pick up 150 new drivers, and about 25 of them could be off the street. SO I was hoping that if I busted my ass and did well that I might have a chance of staying on.

I appreciate the feedback and honesty. If they really wont care one way or the other then I'll just find another permanent job. I don't need someone yelling at me 10 hours a day. Peak is stressful enough as it is.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Most of the on cars suck really. They just go through the motions when they train new drivers. You literally don't learn jack schiznitt from them cause most of them just don't care. Precisely why I say not anybody can be a true leader. That's not to say that there is not any good on car supes out there because im sure there are. That's why I always say they should have drivers train new drivers, that way they are getting trained correctly. Hate to tell ya this but this job is learn as you go youngblood. Any questions call your fellow drivers as most of them will steer ya into the right direction. :happy2:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I was told when I was hired that it was a 1 month thing, but that they were going to need to pick up 150 new drivers, and about 25 of them could be off the street. SO I was hoping that if I busted my ass and did well that I might have a chance of staying on.

I appreciate the feedback and honesty. If they really wont care one way or the other then I'll just find another permanent job. I don't need someone yelling at me 10 hours a day. Peak is stressful enough as it is.
Its all a mind game in the beginning more so than the daily mind game they play all the time. Their testing your mental discipline that's the game these freakin nerdballs play with people all the time and think their cool but their not, just a bunch of idiot losers is about it really lol.

scooby0048

I was told when I was hired that it was a 1 month thing, but that they were going to need to pick up 150 new drivers, and about 25 of them could be off the street.
They tell seasonals that all the time, makes em work harder with the prospect of getting on afterwards then come Xmas eve, they will hand you your walking papers without even so much as a going away free turkey!

If you think you have a chance, then go for it, keep pluggin along and do the best you can. Come back here after peak and let us all know your progress. Good luck with whatever you decide.

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
You log out from here because they're gonna start loading your car in a half hour and you haven't slept since emptying it out yesterday.

Ugh. Wrong post. I really do need some zzzzzzz

brostalss

I've seen a change for the worse in recent years. It's an "Us vs. Them" atmosphere.

The Drivers are always doing something wrong. When you have a ride-a-long, your on-road will always point out the negatives and rarely if ever say anything positive. It's very sad. No positive re-enforcement. No motivation. Just beat you down every chance they get.

Just say I'll do my best and move on.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Take the advice of everyone here and let it roll off your shoulders, guy.

What everyone says is true. You're seasonal. The odds of this becoming a permanent gig are slim to the point where you shouldn't even lose sleep at night. It's absolutely foolish of you to let a temporary job (or anyone at that temporary job for that matter) to get to you.

Work safe at all times and take their money.

Good luck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We have a temp doing 4 hours of work in 8 hours. You can play catch in the truck it's so empty. Why kill yourself if you're toast in two and a half weeks?