Need to get surgery and need 3 weeks off?

so I'm planning on getting a septoplasty and fixing my deviated septum in my nose sometime in october. I have two weeks of vacation time but I need another two weeks to recover as this is major surgery. Will UPS allow me to take a month off ? how would this work?

JonFrum

Short-term Disability should be explained in your Health & Welfare Plan's Summary Plan Description (SPD) booklet that they sent you.

FMLA is described in the Contract:

ARTICLE 16. LEAVE OF ABSENCE
Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA.

Eligible employees are entitled up to a total of 12/6 weeks of unpaid leave during any twelve (12) month period for the following reasons:
1. Birth of a child;
2. Adoption, or placement for foster care;
3. To care for a spouse, child, or parent of the employee due to a serious health condition;
4. A serious health condition of the employee.

The employee’s seniority rights shall continue as if the employee had not taken leave under this section, and the Employer will maintain health insurance coverage during the period of the leave.

The Employer may require the employee to substitute accrued paid vacation or other paid leave for part of the 12/6 week leave period. The employee is required to provide the Employer with at least thirty (30) days advance notice before FMLA leave begins if the need for leave is foreseeable. If the leave is not foreseeable, the employee is required to give notice as soon as practicable. The Employer has the right to require medical certification of a need for leave under this Act. In addition, the Employer has the right to require a second (2nd) opinion at the Employer’s expense.

The provisions of this section are in response to the Federal Act and shall not supersede any state or local law, which provides for greater employee rights.
- - - -
Go here and learn all you can about FMLA . . .
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
so I'm planning on getting a septoplasty and fixing my deviated septum in my nose sometime in october. I have two weeks of vacation time but I need another two weeks to recover as this is major surgery. Will UPS allow me to take a month off ? how would this work?

FMLA.....EMERGENCY MEDICAL LEAVE , if you can afford it dont even use your vacation time

Septoplasty is not typically thought of as major surgery. Whether its considered major or minor, it's up to the Dr to decide how long you need to be off.

Apply for FMLA. You will be required to use all but one week of paid time. Contrary to popular belief, being legitimately sick, ill, etc doesn't necessarily protect you from discipline and loss of seniority under law.

Protect yourself. Short term disability is insurance to protect you against lost wages. FMLA is to protect you against discipline, loss of senority and job rights.

hypocrisy

Banned
Since the surgery isn't until October, I recommend not filing for FMLA until you are about a month or two out. Then you can schedule and use your vacation as you wish up until that time. Of course, in my experience H.R. couldn't even pay me my vacation pay during my FMLA leave, so I ended up having extra weeks in the bank to use later. Way to go H.R., thanks for the 19 weeks off work.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
Your health is more important than UPS... have the surgery and inform them you have a doctors not of no work for 2 weeks... not much they can do.... you arent having plastic surgery.. you are having a surgery to better improve your quality of life as well as the length of your life... Tell them you WILL BE having surgery and will be OUT... too bad for them...

brown_trousers

First of all.... There are laws in place protecting your "privacy" in disclosing medical conditions/procedures. You do not need to tell them what your surgery is for, or whether its an elective surgery or not. They have no rights to that information. All you need is a doctors note saying you were medically unable to work for the last "x" amount of weeks and are now able to return to work.

even if you take off 4 weeks to recover from this surgery, it will only count as 1 "sick day" occurence, so discipline should not be a problem, unless you are already on the verge of a warning letter/suspension/termination.

If you have banked enough sick hours, you can just use those during your absence and save your vacation for another time you can actually enjoy. If you don't have enough sick hours and can't afford to go without the pay you could try and request those vacation weeks as well, but there is no guarantee there. Vacation eligibility is determined solely by seniority.