New DOT Physical?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
They nailed me for this crap. I had to go for a sleep study and surprise surprise they said I have sleep apnea. Had to go for a second study to get the c-pap machine. Now I have to wear the mask every night because the machine has a memory chip that has to get downloaded to prove you are using the stupid thing. I know someone will post how they love their machine and I don't dispute that some people are positively affected but as far as myself I think it's a big racket.

P

pickup

I took my physical a few months ago and I am not sure if they were focusing on the bmi part or not . I am certainly not obese but "knew" I was 15 pounds over my ideal weight(or so I thought) . They did weigh me but asked me my height(which would be have been a good place to add 2 inches if I were worried about this) and I gave them my true height. Nothing more was said about this as I was aware that this bmi thing could potentially be used as a determination for a sleep study.

Anyway, while waiting around for the results of a diabetes test, I was looking at a weight/height bmi chart on the wall. I was surprised by the results that stated I was overweight and dancing close to being pushed into the obese range. The only way to get into the normal range was to be at a weight I hadn't been at since junior year in high school (and I was rail thin then).

I know what my ideal weight is and that is considered overweight.

Anyway, I went through the rest of the exam and nothing was said about sleep studies nor did I ask. 2 months later , I see the heavier guys in the feeder department huddling around with looks of seriousness on their faces that indicate to me that the local dunkin donuts might be closing. I leaned in closer to hear them discussing going back to the doctor in three months, sleep studies etc. This is combination with a narrowing of the list of doctors qualified to conduct the dot exams. Looks like to me , as the original poster said, is that the sleep apnea /bmi part of the dot exam is now in full effect.

For those on the edge of qualifying for this test, pull back from the edge if you can. For those who are definitely obese by any measure, it's a harder road to avoid being hooked up to the c pap machine . If you still got a year and 1/2 before your first encounter with the new dot exam, see if you can do anything about it.

Packmule

First they will stress you out over bmi and sleep studies, then you'll bomb the blood pressure and end up on meds you really don't need for that.
DOT physicals do way more harm than good anymore.
Glad I'm close to retirement. Next contract they better start shortening years of service language to max out.

Packmule

Until recently I never had any problems with my weight. Not much now, but I know a few people who are far more careful than me. Most are fighting endocrine problems and such. People who have weight problems are the last people group it's politically correct to hate.
Big brother is such a hypocrite.

brett636

I know a driver that was nailed for the sleep study this year. He was able to order a little machine from a company in FL that just required he wear a band around his chest while he slept. Sent it back for analysis and came back negative on the sleep apnea. I agree its a load of bull and glad I didn't have to worry about it at my most recent physical. Pretty soon those who aren't built like an Olympian won't be able to drive professionally at all. Big brother knows best I suppose!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know a driver that was nailed for the sleep study this year. He was able to order a little machine from a company in FL that just required he wear a band around his chest while he slept. Sent it back for analysis and came back negative on the sleep apnea. I agree its a load of bull and glad I didn't have to worry about it at my most recent physical. Pretty soon those who aren't built like an Olympian won't be able to drive professionally at all. Big brother knows best I suppose!
If you're built like an Olympian you're likely obese according to BMI.

Something like 90% of professional football players are obese or worse according to BMI.

I'm 6'2" 250 lbs my body fat % is just under 20%. not ideal but on the high end of healthy. According to BMI im about 7 lbs from a sleep study.

brett636

If you're built like an Olympian you're likely obese according to BMI.

Something like 90% of professional football players are obese or worse according to BMI.

I'm 6'2" 250 lbs my body fat % is just under 20%. not ideal but on the high end of healthy. According to BMI im about 7 lbs from a sleep study.

I think the requirement for a sleep study varies based on the provider of the physical. We recently added a new place to get our physicals done and drivers that have gone there were required to take a sleep study based entirely on their BMI. The other providers that we have been using for years has us fill out a questionnaire on how sleepy we get during the day, measures neck size, and computes BMI to determine the necessity of a sleep study. Going there I haven't had a problem, but I'm guessing a lot of this is probably due to lack of direction as to sleep study requirements from the DOT. Either way its safe to assume that its going to get worse overtime and to do your best to stay healthy today so we aren't trying to play catchup tomorrow.

Brownslave688

I think the requirement for a sleep study varies based on the provider of the physical. We recently added a new place to get our physicals done and drivers that have gone there were required to take a sleep study based entirely on their BMI. The other providers that we have been using for years has us fill out a questionnaire on how sleepy we get during the day, measures neck size, and computes BMI to determine the necessity of a sleep study. Going there I haven't had a problem, but I'm guessing a lot of this is probably due to lack of direction as to sleep study requirements from the DOT. Either way its safe to assume that its going to get worse overtime and to do your best to stay healthy today so we aren't trying to play catchup tomorrow.
BMI over 35 is supposed to be the magic number.

P

pickup

BMI over 35 is supposed to be the magic number.

That's the number I am getting in my research as well. And apparently ,as some other poster pointed out ,neck size seems to be a trigger for the test as well. 17 inches or higher for men can get you sent to the sleep center. I just measured my neck, it is 15 inches..

http://www.go-cdl.com/uncategorized/neck-size-bmi-and-your-cdl-drivers-beware-you-might-be-oos-soon/

When I have more time, I would like to get the exact criteria from the fmsca/dot regulations.

P

pickup

I once heard a comedian , Jim Norton, from Opie and Anthony, describe himself as skinny fat. Fat at the waist and skinny everywhere else. I know a few guys like that. Seems like they could pass the criteria of neck size and bmi.

Brownslave688

I thought they were lowering that BMI number to 30 or even lower.
Maybe to be considered obese but not for sleep apnea test as far as I know.

As I have said BMI is a complete load of crap. I could drop 20 -25 lbs and have a 6 pack but be considered overweight. Great system they have there.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe to be considered obese but not for sleep apnea test as far as I know.

As I have said BMI is a complete load of crap. I could drop 20 -25 lbs and have a 6 pack but be considered overweight. Great system they have there.

The 17 in neck is also bogus. Everyone is built differently and I know some people who are not fat and have very thick necks. One wide body was like a freak of nature. About as wide as he was tall and at least a 20 inch neck.

Brownslave688

The 17 in neck is also bogus. Everyone is built differently and I know some people who are not fat and have very thick necks. One wide body was like a freak of nature. About as wide as he was tall and at least a 20 inch neck.
Yeah they have never measured my neck.

The funny part is body fat percentage is a much more accurate representation of health and can be taken in under a minute. Take a measurement at 3-5 points and enter into formula. Easy peasy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I see a lot of burly fellas shuffling around the hubs so this should be interesting. It's not just us either, go to any big truck stop and you'll see plenty of 300 pounders hanging around the food court.