New Driver, what to expect?

jer

How's it going all?

New guy, been reading the board for a few days.

Just got hired this past week as a seasonal driver. My HR seemed kinda rushed and I didn't get much info on what to expect.

So, Tues is my first day. What sure I expect? and any tips?

BTW, I'm in the North East.

rocket man

YES BRING A BIG BAG THE TIPS ARE UNREAL IVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A SMALL SAFE. How did you get hired when so many are layed off?

UPSGUY72

Run as fast as you can. Do not stay at UPS. You will be sorry in less than FIVE years.

He got hired as a seasonal driver tp help cover vacations. He will get laid off the second week in Sept might get rehired 1st week of Oct but will laid off again By dec 31.

UPSGUY72

How's it going all?

Just got hired this past week as a seasonal driver. My HR seemed kinda rushed and I didn't get much info on what to expect.

what to expect ??? Your going to fill in when people are on vaction and they need help you might work everyday and you might not. You have no rights they can get fire you for anything and at any time. Show up to work everyday and on time if not a little early. Don't call in UPS doesn't care about your personal life and there are alot of other people who would love to get a chance to drive for UPS. If they like you and you could one of the 6 to 1 inside to outside FT drivers they hire if not you will be looking for another job by the end of the year and you will get laid off the second or third week in Sept for a week or two.

Did they send you to driver school ??

Good luck

P

pickup

How's it going all?

I never did the job you are about to undertake but others have posed your question before and others have answered. Let's see if I can remember some of the answers.

Off the top of my head, keep hydrated, make sure you have enough water , especially since you are starting in the warm weather.

Paper maps of the areas you will be covering will come in handy.

Work safely. If you are working past your abilities (which are much less than those of a veteran driver), you will hurt yourself and/or have your vehicle in an accident.

Get plenty of sleep . You might have days that drain you mentally and physically. Did I type "might"? You WILL have days like that.

Don't expect any medals for a job well done but do expect to get negative feedback , even when you think you did a good job. Don't take it personally.

I am sure others will provide more detailed answers but I thought I would give you something to work with in the meantime.

klein

Für Meno :)
Expect the unexpected.

It's worded differently, because on the written test, that's exactly how I had it written, but was told it's a bit different, but was accepted as an answer.
It's something like "be prepared for the unexpected" .

Not quite sure.... but I know it's not "Expect the unexpected".

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
The job is what you make it. At first it will seem impossible. As you learn the job and the route it will get easier. Once you can look at any of the packages in the load and you can picture the address it'll become much easier. The job is physical, you'll be on the move from the time you start till the time you finish. Most packages are relatively light in weight, but there are some heavy ones too and depending in the route there might be a lot of heavy ones. If you're interested in making money and getting good benes, Brown is the place. If you're looking for an easy job, this is not one you'll like.

The typical length of driver employment is very long and the waiting list to get a full time job is very long. You'll hear a lot of negative comments here, but keep in mind there are over 100,000 drivers and relatively few of them leave voluntarily. As bad as many of them make it sound, there's a reason they stay for years and years.

Give it a try. Decide for yourself if its for you. It will become much easier than it is in the first few weeks but it will never be a job where you can take it easy.

ups1990

Have a backup plan, yes but don't plan to backup.

In all seriousness, make sure you drive as safe as possible. Make up lost time by hustling in and out of the package car but don't get hurt. The first day on your own will be tough but by the end of the week you'll feel a whole lot better about the situation. Bring a lunch with fruit, plenty of water and a Thomas guide.

ups1990

It's worded differently, because on the written test, that's exactly how I had it written, but was told it's a bit different, but was accepted as an answer.
It's something like "be prepared for the unexpected" .

Not quite sure.... but I know it's not "Expect the unexpected".
I believe you got the Canadian 10 pt commentary.

ups1990

Would any of my fellow American UPS drivers care to have any ideas on what this Canadian 10pt commentary would include?:wink2:

jer

YES BRING A BIG BAG THE TIPS ARE UNREAL IVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A SMALL SAFE. How did you get hired when so many are layed off?
They were looking to fill the spot, I knew someone.
Run as fast as you can. Do not stay at UPS. You will be sorry in less than FIVE years.
Thanks for the feedback.
what to expect ??? Your going to fill in when people are on vaction and they need help you might work everyday and you might not. You have no rights they can get fire you for anything and at any time. Show up to work everyday and on time if not a little early. Don't call in UPS doesn't care about your personal life and there are alot of other people who would love to get a chance to drive for UPS. If they like you and you could one of the 6 to 1 inside to outside FT drivers they hire if not you will be looking for another job by the end of the year and you will get laid off the second or third week in Sept for a week or two.

Did they send you to driver school ??

Good luck
I was told there would be a week of classroom stuff and a day with another driver. Not too sure what that means.
Thanks for the feedback.
I never did the job you are about to undertake but others have posed your question before and others have answered. Let's see if I can remember some of the answers.

Appriciate it.

The job is what you make it. At first it will seem impossible. As you learn the job and the route it will get easier. Once you can look at any of the packages in the load and you can picture the address it'll become much easier. The job is physical, you'll be on the move from the time you start till the time you finish. Most packages are relatively light in weight, but there are some heavy ones too and depending in the route there might be a lot of heavy ones. If you're interested in making money and getting good benes, Brown is the place. If you're looking for an easy job, this is not one you'll like.

The typical length of driver employment is very long and the waiting list to get a full time job is very long. You'll hear a lot of negative comments here, but keep in mind there are over 100,000 drivers and relatively few of them leave voluntarily. As bad as many of them make it sound, there's a reason they stay for years and years.

Give it a try. Decide for yourself if its for you. It will become much easier than it is in the first few weeks but it will never be a job where you can take it easy.

I'm used to hard work, been in construction for a long time. I do have some experience with shipping and receiving, as I worked managing a retail store.

Yeah, I've read plenty of bashing about the company and all, but seeing as how driver positions don't open up very often, it makes me think that it can't be too bad of a job.:wink2:

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

You will go to school for 4 days you need to memorize the 10 point commentary and 5 seeing habbits word for word, you will need to be able to recited them probably when your driving around with your on road trainer. You'll also need to know the 6 rules of backing, 5 things to avoid slips and falls and 8 things about lift and lowering a package. The 5th day will be a safety ride in your building with the safety guy.

Just remeber it's only a job so be safe and make sure you make it home to your family every night.

WyoBrown

You will be fine, just hang in there and realize it will get better! It is a fantastic job, and one that will make or break you...totally up to you. Watch out for mean dogs, they hate UPS trucks and drivers...even the nice ones. Ask questions of the senior drivers, mgmt doesnt have the time or patience. Good luck!!

Re-Raise

One stop at a time. You will be overwhelmed by the number of packages they stick in these trucks. You just need to work at a quick pace and not focus on how many are still back there.

Before we got EDD we used to have new guys constantly sending in messages telling the center how many stops they had left and that they weren't going to get done. If they wouldn't have been messing around in the truck counting stops they would have had a lot fewer left.

Good luck .. work and drive safely.. and no matter how stressed everyone in management is remember they are just boxes and everyone was the new guy once.