new drivers

RozUPS

Have fun driving that queer schoolbus/truck with windows in center city at rush hour. Never understood why they make everyone drive in that, 90% of the drivers who go through oregon avenue aren't going to be working in center city.

That way it's harder to get in an accident. Your not moving:tongue_sm

Upslady20

At our center a few months back all drivers had to sign some form stating that we could be possibly terminated for not knowing 10pt 5 seeing habits.. habits... 8 pt lifting lowering and 5pt slips and falls.. we all signed but we still don't know them. At least two or three times a week we are given the lifing and lowering or the slips and falls with a fill in the blank test. What a waste of paper.
When I went out with my foot issue and had to state the lifting and lowering and the slips and falls word for word and in order. Well I failed. I now have it memorized but the 10 point commentary is too long. Oh well I try.

705red

Browncafe Steward
At our center a few months back all drivers had to sign some form stating that we could be possibly terminated for not knowing 10pt 5 seeing habits.. habits... 8 pt lifting lowering and 5pt slips and falls.. we all signed but we still don't know them. At least two or three times a week we are given the lifing and lowering or the slips and falls with a fill in the blank test. What a waste of paper.
When I went out with my foot issue and had to state the lifting and lowering and the slips and falls word for word and in order. Well I failed. I now have it memorized but the 10 point commentary is too long. Oh well I try.
Why would you sign that? I have heard about that bs on here but have not heard or seen anything at my hub on this 10 point commentary bs. Unless its dot required do not sign it.

Upslady20

The shop steward said to sign it. That they could not really fire us for not knowing it word for word and they would have to give you a warning letter first.. I guess I was like a sheep going to slaughter.

local804

I dont buy it.

thebrownbox

It does get embarrassing riding in the :censored2: bus if one of your classmates can't drive a stick shift (people look at you really weird and all you can do is look out the window and smile). I don't know about other centers or school locations, but the one in Roswell is a P700 with a Spicer. Be sure to practice on a Spicer before going to school, the gears on a Spicer are very close to each other and it is very easy to shift into the wrong gear...that seemed to be the biggest weakness in my class.

Good luck...

P.S. Do not be intimidated by your instructor. Remember that it is their job to be demanding and strict. As my instructor always said, "It is YOU who will determine whether or not you will pass this class, not me"

Yeah we have the same type of truck here with the Spicer in North Haven, CT I ended up going last.. My personal car is a stick so I was told before you start driving you can move the shifter to see where the gears are, so when it was my turn I did so and never had any issues..

A few before me went from 1st to 4th it was a little rough, Sometimes you need to double clutch in order to get it into first when stopped.

Sorry for the bump! :biting:

MassWineGuy

Very useful thread. I'm hoping to become a seasonal driver. So far I have at least two questions:

What is a stale green light?

What is a Spicer tranny and how's it differ from others? Both my cars have standard transmissions, so I'm at least hoping that part won't be a problem.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I dont buy it.
Exactly they cant do jack to you for not knowing it. I hope the ketter people ask me and ill break out my sheet with all the answers and watch them walk away because we don't have to know it. And next day be up in office with steward filing a grievance for harassment as im calling my lawyer friend while im up there too lol.

JL 0513

Very useful thread. I'm hoping to become a seasonal driver. So far I have at least two questions:

What is a stale green light?

What is a Spicer tranny and how's it differ from others? Both my cars have standard transmissions, so I'm at least hoping that part won't be a problem.

A stale green light is a green light that you don't know how long it's been green. Therefore, you must determine a point of decision at which point if the light turns yellow while approaching the intersection, you know whether to proceed safely or not.

Spicer transmissions suck. The gears are set up German style. Reverse is where 1st normally is. Which puts 1st where 2nd usually is, ect. So you need to break your normal shifting habit which can be confusing. And the gears are ridiculously close together with no room for error. The engineers at Spicer are idiots.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If this stuff is so important, why can't drivers have a classroom training day every once in a while? Not only for driving safety, but for all other aspects of the company as well. A quick mention in the morning disguised as training tells me that management wants the drivers to know this stuff while putting minimal effort into teaching it.

Simple. Because if you get into an accident after you've shown the ability to recite this stuff, then they just say, "Hey, he was trained properly. It's all on the driver."

I know all of this stuff word for word. I used to love when they would bring me in the office to show my knowledge of it. 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, 10 rules of backing, 8 keys to lifting, 8 yard control rules, LEADS. I used to go through each one. Then, spend at least three or four minutes on each one, explaining how I worked it into my day. It was great improv practice. In the end, I would get 45 minutes to an hour of OT whenever they asked me to do it.

That only worked five or six times. They stopped asking me. They wanted drivers that didn't know the info, so they could rub their noses in it.

The safety questions are a way for driver supervisors to pretend they know better than the drivers themselves, how to drive safely.

B

bowflex

I will chime in here. I passed integrad with flying colors 7 in our group of 18 didn't make it. Most people failed on the delivery test course and the road driving course. One guy was struggling withe the final test. the diad test is easy. the 60 question test can be passed very easily because you are allowed to ask questions during the test and the answers are hinted to you. All that said when you actually start driving its a whole different world. Im on day 7 and made so many stupid mistakes I am sure my time with UPS is limited. Its all about speed in my HUB. I was moving so fast I made dumb mistakes and almost hurt myself many times. the integrad class does not prepare you for eh real world at UPS.

Marlin3030hntr

We don't have integrad but our hr rep did my driving class and as a class everyone had to know the whole yellow card verbatim or we all failed, I know it's a ploy to get everyone to do it but the one Saturday air driver that was in there nearly got dqed because he couldn't get it until the last day, it just varies lots of drivers in our center or building for that matter don't know the dok worth a crap and they keep adding new acronym dok crap seems like all the time

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It does get embarrassing riding in the :censored2: bus if one of your classmates can't drive a stick shift (people look at you really weird and all you can do is look out the window and smile). I don't know about other centers or school locations, but the one in Roswell is a P700 with a Spicer. Be sure to practice on a Spicer before going to school, the gears on a Spicer are very close to each other and it is very easy to shift into the wrong gear...that seemed to be the biggest weakness in my class.

Good luck...

P.S. Do not be intimidated by your instructor. Remember that it is their job to be demanding and strict. As my instructor always said, "It is YOU who will determine whether or not you will pass this class, not me"

Yeah we have the same type of truck here with the Spicer in North Haven, CT I ended up going last.. My personal car is a stick so I was told before you start driving you can move the shifter to see where the gears are, so when it was my turn I did so and never had any issues..

A few before me went from 1st to 4th it was a little rough, Sometimes you need to double clutch in order to get it into first when stopped.

Sorry for the bump! :biting:

Um why did you resurrect a 5 year old thread for no discernible reason and then say sorry for the bump?