New Female Feeder Driver Needs Some Advice

B

BrownCubster

I am a brand new member of the Brown Cafe but have visited this site many times over the last couple years.

I especially like the thread Ask a Feeder Driver......since I qualified as a feeder driver and it has helped me a lot.

we have over 100 feeder drivers at our hub and only a couple gals. I have noticed that the gals don't get very much respect from the other drivers and especially from management. I even had my trainer tell me he didn't think women should be feeder drivers in the first place.

i let that comment slide but I noticed that seems to be the general attitude. I know as a female I am going to have to work harder, hustle more, don't complain, and let my work stand for itself.

I was wondering if there are any other women feeder drivers here who have encountered these same problems when they were starting out and how they handled it.

will also love to hear from the guys too on how I can integrate myself successfully into the feeder department. However, I have learned from researching here that there are some guys on the Brown Cafe that really dislike the female members. Maybe that's why more women do not join. Ever think of that?

Please guys, be nice. If you are not nice , I won't be nice either.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Your job as a feeder driver is simple. Drive safely and don't get into an accident.
It's not about being black,white;male,female;in-shape,fat;loud-mouth or quiet.
You earn other driver's respect by doing the job safely.
You are paid equally regardless.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I am a brand new member of the Brown Cafe but have visited this site many times over the last couple years.

I especially like the thread Ask a Feeder Driver......since I qualified as a feeder driver and it has helped me a lot.

we have over 100 feeder drivers at our hub and only a couple gals. I have noticed that the gals don't get very much respect from the other drivers and especially from management. I even had my trainer tell me he didn't think women should be feeder drivers in the first place.

i let that comment slide but I noticed that seems to be the general attitude. I know as a female I am going to have to work harder, hustle more, don't complain, and let my work stand for itself.

I was wondering if there are any other women feeder drivers here who have encountered these same problems when they were starting out and how they handled it.

will also love to hear from the guys too on how I can integrate myself successfully into the feeder department. However, I have learned from researching here that there are some guys on the Brown Cafe that really dislike the female members. Maybe that's why more women do not join. Ever think of that?

In feeder "a three-some" is pulling a set of doubles...

B

BrownCubster

Your job as a feeder driver is simple. Drive safely and don't get into an accident.
It's not about being black,white;male,female;in-shape,fat;loud-mouth or quiet.
You earn other driver's respect by doing the job safely.
You are paid equally regardless.
I agree if this was a perfect world. I am talking about reality.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I agree if this was a perfect world. I am talking about reality.

"I know as a female I am going to have to work harder, hustle more, don't complain, and let my work stand for itself."

Not sure what this has to do with feeders and you being a woman.
You don't work harder, you move the trailer from Point A to Point B
You don't hustle, that's how accidents and injuries happen.
You don't need to complain period. Your job consists of moving trailers, drinking coffee, and shining your shoes.

You are already feeling like a victim because of a comment some idiot made.
As a UPS employee for years, you should of grown thicker skin by now.

BTW, welcome to BC

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We had a female feeder driver at my old building that I wouldn't trade for anyone. It's a male dominated company, unfortunately some guys can't keep their comments to themselves.

I know that doesn't help, but sometimes just doing your job to the best of your ability speaks louder than words.

B

BrownCubster

already made my 30 days without a problem. working on call and getting some vacation bid runs. they are saying there won't be a slowdown until around after New Years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I disagree. I think there is a vocal group who don't believe women belong at UPS. Usually the women run circles around those guys.
BS. I have always worked just as hard my male coworkers and never expected special treatment because of lacking an appendage between my legs....and I have never been treated any different than anyone else. I wouldn't want it any other way.

It's the women who constantly show up late because (oh my kids blah blah blah) or slack off and want a light day because (oh my period, I have cramps blah blah blah) that give the rest of us a bad name, and cause animosity between themselves and their male co-workers. Or the ones who run to HR for every little slight.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
BS. I have always worked just as hard my male coworkers and never expected special treatment because of lacking an appendage between my legs....and I have never been treated any different than anyone else. I wouldn't want it any other way.

It's the women who constantly show up late because (oh my kids blah blah blah) or lack off and want a light day because (oh my period) that give the rest of us a bad name, and cause animosity between them and their male co-workers.
Who said anything about special treatment?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Who said anything about special treatment?
My point is, I have never been made to feel by a male preloader, any of the 150 all male drivers in my old center or even by management that they felt I shouldn't work here because I'm a female. I am viewed as an equally worthless peon as any other preloader....lol

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

From my experience ALL new feeder drivers are scrutinized until they have proven themselves. All you have to do is your job the best you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are dumb. Most feeder drivers are very professional and want to help. The mechanics I have known are top rate and always willing to help new drivers. ask questions.

You have probably learned by now to ignore the jerks and hang out with the good guys. I have had managers and drivers hit on me even though I am married. You probably have experience with that . You did not mention if you came out of the building or package cars or how long you have been with the company.

The best thing to do is keep a low profile at first and do the best job you can. BTW, I am a retired feeder driver so if you have any personal questions you want to ask in private you can start a " conversation." ( click the inbox )

good luck.