New GPS Time Study: What they are not telling you

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The "District IE Guru" is meeting with our B.A. and Stewards to explain "virtual time studies" this morning.....

Why would anyone from the Union care anything at all about the companies time studies? Virtual or otherwise, it is not recognized by the Union. You my friend get paid by the hour. Period.

over9five

Staff member
+1.

In fact, it's kind of scary they're meeting with him. Is this some kind of Teamster orientation to time studies because the Teamsters will recognize them in the next contract???

LagunaBrown, you guys should talk to this BA of yours. Whos side is he on?

tourists24

Why would anyone from the Union care anything at all about the companies time studies? Virtual or otherwise, it is not recognized by the Union. You my friend get paid by the hour. Period.
Im not sure if the local would care about the time study per se, but knowing how the technology works can be an advantage. Not only that, it is contractual that any implementation of this type of thing be talked about with the Union. Same way with telematics.

jaded1

counting the days til 80
The one question I had for my manager regarding the "new and improved" time study method is this: my bid route has the majority of the resi's in a neighborhood built on the side of a mountain. Ok, so you are telling me that google earth or gps or whatever they are using says I walk 50 feet to the front door. How does the fact I just hiked up a 45degree driveway and 3 flights of stairs to the front door get figured in? It's just like when we lost 'road variances' years ago for the poor folks who have to be subjected to the brutality of washboard roads all day long. I realize that the managers are getting hammered by their superiors on these numbers, but we don't do our jobs on 'paper'. It is in the real world- and every day comes a whole new set of challenges that we have to overcome to provide the best service we can and to make the company the profits we all benefit from, and to come home safe and sound. So please, just leave me alone and let me do my job.

pretzel_man

The one question I had for my manager regarding the "new and improved" time study method is this: my bid route has the majority of the resi's in a neighborhood built on the side of a mountain. Ok, so you are telling me that google earth or gps or whatever they are using says I walk 50 feet to the front door. How does the fact I just hiked up a 45degree driveway and 3 flights of stairs to the front door get figured in? It's just like when we lost 'road variances' years ago for the poor folks who have to be subjected to the brutality of washboard roads all day long. I realize that the managers are getting hammered by their superiors on these numbers, but we don't do our jobs on 'paper'. It is in the real world- and every day comes a whole new set of challenges that we have to overcome to provide the best service we can and to make the company the profits we all benefit from, and to come home safe and sound. So please, just leave me alone and let me do my job.

The GPS study will not take into account a 50' uphill walk. All walks are the same and based on distance only.

The last time I looked, walk was calculated at 2.78 miles per hour. Most people walk (on flat surfaces) faster than that-- ( 3 MPH).

I guess the time studies are understating walk time for each occurance that you have of walking a hill.

P-Man

rocket man

close bulk head use seat belt watch were you back you will still have to back stay in area nothing has changed and R T S everything even papers they give you for training

jaded1

counting the days til 80
I really have no reason to complain, I have been doing this 18 years and never been talked to about my numbers. I guess my issue is I see co-workers who are hard workers getting daily ride-alongs and constant production pressure. It used to be if you could hit a SPORH of 20 or so you were around scratch. From what I have been told, the new studies placed more emphasis on pieces per hour, so if you have a light pickup route and not a lot of bulk stops you are going to see your numbers go south. So, the guy who used to go out and hammer off 140 stops and be off at 5:00 and look ok on paper is now being given 180 and told that it should be under 9.5 hours. It seems to be the case with the company in recent years that the centers are not allowed to run their operations. IE dictates how many cars to run, 'problem' drivers are targeted at division level and above that need to be brought in line and pressured to step it up. While the center manager spends his whole day responding to email, going to meetings and taking the daily whipping from his superiors about not being able to achieve numbers that are dictated from on high, while the center falls apart and what we are really here for-service- goes to hell in a hand basket. Such is the new, post-'going public with our stock' UPS. The 'S' is not for Service, it's for Shareholders.

pretzel_man

I really have no reason to complain, I have been doing this 18 years and never been talked to about my numbers. I guess my issue is I see co-workers who are hard workers getting daily ride-alongs and constant production pressure. It used to be if you could hit a SPORH of 20 or so you were around scratch. From what I have been told, the new studies placed more emphasis on pieces per hour, so if you have a light pickup route and not a lot of bulk stops you are going to see your numbers go south. So, the guy who used to go out and hammer off 140 stops and be off at 5:00 and look ok on paper is now being given 180 and told that it should be under 9.5 hours. It seems to be the case with the company in recent years that the centers are not allowed to run their operations. IE dictates how many cars to run, 'problem' drivers are targeted at division level and above that need to be brought in line and pressured to step it up. While the center manager spends his whole day responding to email, going to meetings and taking the daily whipping from his superiors about not being able to achieve numbers that are dictated from on high, while the center falls apart and what we are really here for-service- goes to hell in a hand basket. Such is the new, post-'going public with our stock' UPS. The 'S' is not for Service, it's for Shareholders.

Teddy,

Someone gave you bad informaiton about the new time study system. It does not do the things you mention.

All it does is simplify the time study process. It changes walks from being an estimate from an observer (of walk classifications) to being calculated based on a map and satellite image. It also uses actual distances for each stop instead of classifications.

It also takes non-residential stops and puts buildings into classifications making the time studies easier to do.

This system is very easy to monitor and analyze which is much better than before.

The other items you mention do not have to do with the new time studies....

P-Man

jaded1

counting the days til 80
Agreed, got on a rant there about all else. I was told with the new time studies, new standards were also implemented. This seems to be the case in our operation as numbers have recently changed radically. Will see if I can get straight answers next week in this regards, thanks for clarification.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Teddy,

Someone gave you bad informaiton about the new time study system. It does not do the things you mention.

All it does is simplify the time study process. It changes walks from being an estimate from an observer (of walk classifications) to being calculated based on a map and satellite image. It also uses actual distances for each stop instead of classifications.

It also takes non-residential stops and puts buildings into classifications making the time studies easier to do.

This system is very easy to monitor and analyze which is much better than before.

The other items you mention do not have to do with the new time studies....

P-Man
our gps study came and went,,,our center lost big, most routes gained a ridiculous amount of stops ,, anyways after that insult now our onroads and center manager are doing 1 day rides to correct the overallowed drivers

hellfire

Agreed, got on a rant there about all else. I was told with the new time studies, new standards were also implemented. This seems to be the case in our operation as numbers have recently changed radically. Will see if I can get straight answers next week in this regards, thanks for clarification.
in our area neither the union nor operations know where the new numbers originate

hellfire

Nor does the Union care. We do not recognize the time study numbers for any purpose.

The good news is, you get paid by the hour!!!

tell that to the many members who are now being threatened with 5 day suspensions

pretzel_man

our gps study came and went,,,our center lost big, most routes gained a ridiculous amount of stops ,, anyways after that insult now our onroads and center manager are doing 1 day rides to correct the overallowed drivers

That may be so in your center. Overall, most centers gained some time.

P-Man

BCFan

Threaten me Ill clean your clock ...i will make your eyes hurt from my slow pace 55 yrs old i can not and will not be as fast as a 20 something runner BC