New Here at Fedex

bbsam

Staff member
Then try to convince me that Ground is a solid career choice.

Bet you can't do it asswhole.
As a driver? I don't think it is.
As an investment? Can be.

Why the name calling? If your argument is sound, it just makes you look petty and childish.

It will be fine

No one has ever said that Ground is a solid career choice. It is a means to an end until something better comes along.

Now, if you are looking for an investment......
There are plenty of solid careers at Ground. Being a driver is likely not one of them, but it's not a good career choice at express either.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Why the name calling? If your argument is sound, it just makes you look petty and childish.
Getting your little digs is a better way? Uh, yeah, I see.

No one has ever said that Ground is a solid career choice. It is a means to an end until something better comes along.

Now, if you are looking for an investment......
Gee, thank you for your "expert" opinion.

There are plenty of solid careers at Ground. Being a driver is likely not one of them, but it's not a good career choice at express either.
I agree. An Express driver is a nasty job these days. However I don't know of any solid careers at Ground unless you belong to the Fred clan.

bbsam

Staff member
Getting your little digs is a better way? Uh, yeah, I see.

Gee, thank you for your "expert" opinion.

I agree. An Express driver is a nasty job these days. However I don't know of any solid careers at Ground unless you belong to the Fred clan.
Such a bitter, hateful man you are.

vantexan

Depends on where you live. I live in a small city on the Plains. For all the talk about factories overseas this town has a bunch of factories. None of them pay a lot per hour(a few pay $18hr after a few years)but most offer a lot of overtime. What I see everywhere is worn out people. Haggard. And you get a sense of an undercurrent of anger. So if one gets into Express early enough AND FedEx keeps it's word on raises, it's a damn good job here. As it would be in many parts of the country.

For all the razzing I take on moving to Mexico, I realized early on that the traditional pension was a way out. The folks working in the above factories here early on thought that's just the way it is, life is hard then you die. Their escape is alcohol, and these days drugs like meth. Or they smoke themselves into an early grave, which for some is probably a relief. 60 Minutes had a segment last week on a county in Mississippi where an extremely smart local promoter has brought thousands of jobs in high tech factories. Jobs that pay well and the workers have a future. These are highly automated factories that still require hundreds of workers. This is what I'm hoping for in the Trump administration. Making the U.S. a place where once again good jobs with a future can be found, and that base provides opportunities for entrepreneurs to grow businesses and create meaningful work. The trajectory we're on now makes the U.S. a place to escape from for many of us.

Cactus

Depends on where you live. I live in a small city on the Plains. For all the talk about factories overseas this town has a bunch of factories. None of them pay a lot per hour(a few pay $18hr after a few years)but most offer a lot of overtime. What I see everywhere is worn out people. Haggard. And you get a sense of an undercurrent of anger. So if one gets into Express early enough AND FedEx keeps it's word on raises, it's a damn good job here. As it would be in many parts of the country.
Doubtful.

Very doubtful.

MAKAVELI

Not following. I'm talking about creating an environment where business can thrive and create opportunities for anyone ambitious enough to capitalize on them.
That's not what you responded to. But to your point, FedEx specifically, has had every advantage a business could want and yet continually screws its front line workers.

Cactus

Not following. I'm talking about creating an environment where business can thrive and create opportunities for anyone ambitious enough to capitalize on them.
They're not gonna do that.

The upper echelons at FedEx think we're scum and stupid.

Oldfart

Yes indeed. They are very good at talking down to people.
With the exception of a very few, I have never experienced that. I guess these people got to where they are by being able to judge character of whom they speak with. Most likely what happened when they talked to you.

Last edited: