New Hires Done at 4:00

fedex_mafia

I work at Express and we just had a group of new hires start recently. These people have in their contracts that they are not obligated to remain working after 4:00 p.m. I'm pretty sure this is the first group at our hub that has this in their contract and I was wondering if FedEx is doing this for everybody.

It's a real pain for the group I work in because there are many days when we're not done working until 4:15-4:45. I'm worried a year from now when a third of our group isn't obligated to stay after 4:00 and the rest of us are picking up their slack.

Purplepackage

I'm always back by 4:30-5

One guy in ever loop works a 4/10 week and does the pups for the loop.

Unless it's Christmas I'm back by 5 at the latest. But not having to stay past 4 is strange and will change quickly during peak

fedex_mafia

Maybe being able to hire and hold onto people has gotten so hard, FedEx is starting to allow people to dictate their working terms?

That's what I heard the reason was. When I got hired on a few years ago they told us we'd be working in the 9:00am-4:00pm range. I guess they're guaranteeing people that now.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I work at Express.

It's a real pain for the group I work in because there are many days when we're not done working until 4:15-4:45. I'm worried a year from now when a third of our group isn't obligated to stay after 4:00 and the rest of us are picking up their slack.

What do you and your group do at Express? Handlers at a hub? Couriers? Agents?

overflowed

That's what I heard the reason was. When I got hired on a few years ago they told us we'd be working in the 9:00am-4:00pm range. I guess they're guaranteeing people that now.
People are leaving weekly at my locale. I really wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this. Sounds more like a cost cutting measure to make sure people don't milk to me though. They will just change the language and say you read it wrong.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
People are leaving weekly at my locale. I really wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this. Sounds more like a cost cutting measure to make sure people don't milk to me though. They will just change the language and say you read it wrong.

I'm sure there is a sentence in their offer letters about the possibility of it changing due to "operational needs". That's always their way out.

Purplepackage

This is basically like someone getting hired part time to work say a 7-11am shift and that is what the offer letter states.

But when freight is late or there is bad weather operational needs to take over they are working 7- whenever they are done helping people

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Of course management will lie straight-faced all about this. Anything they type up is subject to change once the ink dries.