No driver input......no driver participation

The word at my bldg is that they are bringing in 180 rentals trucks and they will run 2 preload sorts back to back. Should be interesting.
Calling BS on 180 rentals. Doubt if we have that many in the whole state. Heard the same thing about running a second preload. Have no idea where UPS will find the people. We can't even staff the regular sorts and preload. New hires are overwhelmed now and sups do most of the work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Calling BS on 180 rentals. Doubt if we have that many in the whole state. Heard the same thing about running a second preload. Have no idea where UPS will find the people. We can't even staff the regular sorts and preload. New hires are overwhelmed now and sups do most of the work.
We're processing 80k a day now on preload, projection for peak day is 200k+, so 180 rentals might be about right.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
but on upsers the guy said that they took feedback from drivers to make this peak better! Lololol.. Its just going to be as bad as last year.
That's a lie, why do they print such untruthful crap. I guess upstairs has all the answers even though they have literally screwed up all the routes all the street orders and all the customers relationships.

Last edited:

upsbeernut

I have several ideas and have warned them of what happens in my area along with the 3 routes around me. This year will be worse than last year despite all the new hires. For example two routes need to be put in now but the swing drivers are tied up so who's gonna run the xmas split routes. We have splits now that have 3zip codes and last week our supervisor told the center manager he couldn't even run it or any of his swing drivers. My biggest disappointment this year is no one listens .

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When I worked inside average volume was 80k and during peak it hit 120k.
Was that just preload? Last year our peak day was over over 160k, so 200 would be a big bump but they're usually pretty good with their volume projections around here.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Was that just preload? Last year our peak day was over over 160k, so 200 would be a big bump but they're usually pretty good with their volume projections around here.
Nah that was the night sort and was a couple years ago so not sure what it's been like last couple peaks.

upsbeernut

To be honest we're a little skeptical about it too because no one knows where all these rentals are going to be parked.
I know that skeptical feeling, its daily and year round. They have given us an aerial map showing our drive patterns on the yard to avoid the cluster friend they had last year. Isn't it amazing after all these successful and profitable peak seasons we have had, all of a sudden the last 3 have been consecutively worse as far as winging it on a friend shoestring with relying on the senior drivers once again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Nah that was the night sort and was a couple years ago so not sure what it's been like last couple peaks.
Yeah we're not a hub (yet), so all we run is preload and local sort. We build about 20 loads on the local sort but the preload is a monster.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
How much training do you really need to run a mostly residential route?
Not so much for an inside hire, but I cannot fathom coming from the outside. #1 problem is just the driving part. Think about it, not rocket science, but pretty formidable the first time you are driving the truck. The the safety part, remembering all the DOK that is required, some of us have been trying to memorize it verbatim for years, and still cant. The there is actually the delivering part, the levels of service, the safety part of that, the kids out there delivering at 8 pm in the dark...To me thrown to the wolves I think. I expect a big increase in accidents, and injuries, especially dog bites. Hoping nothing fatal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not so much for an inside hire, but I cannot fathom coming from the outside. #1 problem is just the driving part. Think about it, not rocket science, but pretty formidable the first time you are driving the truck. The the safety part, remembering all the DOK that is required, some of us have been trying to memorize it verbatim for years, and still cant. The there is actually the delivering part, the levels of service, the safety part of that, the kids out there delivering at 8 pm in the dark...To me thrown to the wolves I think. I expect a big increase in accidents, and injuries, especially dog bites. Hoping nothing fatal.

All good points but keep in mind that the volume wouldn't be anywhere near what we deal with on a daily basis. DOK? Orion? Both of those would be put on the back burner. It would be the basics----get 'em delivered, don't hit nuthin' and don't kill anybody. There would be a cutoff---no way they would be out after dark.

As I have said before, I had my helper up to speed on the basics of the DIAD after the first day. By the end of the second day he was delivering single stop businesses and residentials on his own. Day 3 we covered delivering to multiple stop medical office complexes and multiple left at's. By the end of the first week I would have been confident handing the keys and sending him off by himself.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All good points but keep in mind that the volume wouldn't be anywhere near what we deal with on a daily basis. DOK? Orion? Both of those would be put on the back burner. It would be the basics----get 'em delivered, don't hit nuthin' and don't kill anybody. There would be a cutoff---no way they would be out after dark.

As I have said before, I had my helper up to speed on the basics of the DIAD after the first day. By the end of the second day he was delivering single stop businesses and residentials on his own. Day 3 we covered delivering to multiple stop medical office complexes and multiple left at's. By the end of the first week I would have been confident handing the keys and sending him off by himself.
WEll that wiuld be optimum, but rarely do we get the same helper. Especially some of us who rarely get helpers, so we are at the mercy of a helper who has never had on the job training. And there is like 5 days left, ususally a helper who has not worked much and disgruntled about that, or one who drove 30 miles to work 2.99 hours, all things that could be fixed, but wont.

Z

ZQXC

.... or a helper that will not step off the truck if they see a dog of any size anywhere on the street