No Headphones or cell phones allowed?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
They are trying to make it a place where nobody wants to work.....Its like that in our building too. Everyone in our building is miserable including management. New hires dont last long
Apparently it's not just contract stuff you complain about, it's everything. In my building, you can bring in whatever you want, you just need to get a sticker. In my old building (Portland,Or) they only allow cell phones and they have to be turned off (hub side, not center) no mp3 players or tabs. You can turn it back on once it's inside and listen to the radio or music, however if you're caught texting, they'll take your privileges away.

sortaisle

Serenity, While I tend to agree with you, where does it end? I think you should punish those who abuse, not just everyone corporately because a single digit percentage decides to abuse it. Just my 2 cents.

S

serenity now

the problem is: a phone is no longer just a phone; you allow them and people will be talking, texting, checking email, playing music, taking pictures, and probably other stuff i'm not even aware of

you are there to work; not be entertained

sortaisle

Using that kind of logic, we should all be in jail because a small portion of the population has murdered someone. Punish the people who abuse, not everyone. That's what I'm saying.

upsman68

the problem is: a phone is no longer just a phone; you allow them and people will be talking, texting, checking email, playing music, taking pictures, and probably other stuff i'm not even aware of
You probably walked to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways.
Lighten up.
you are there to work; not be entertained

Michael Morris

Thank you all for the good responses. I simply wanted to see if this was a national across the board ban on electronics or a hub to hub/local to local situation.

quamba 638

At my Hub anything goes. You just need a property pass; that system is pretty flawed though. It's just a pain in the rear when you have all these kids trying to go through the medal detector at the end of the shift. They have their phones, ear buds, iPods, laptops, constantly getting called back through because they didn't take a phone out their pockets... And you're standing outside in a line at -30 below zero.. waiting for your chance to leave the property. But it's not a problem, a lot if the older folks complain though....

As long as you get a permanent sticker for it, you can bring in phones, iPods. One earbud only though for communication purposes which I think is reasonable.

kingOFchester

When I worked preload, I got a call from my mother stating that my grandmother was exhibiting what is known as "the death rattle". I was able to leave work and be with the family and my grandmother. Had I been denied a phone, and as a result was not able to be with the family during this most difficult time, I would of been beside myself. Calling the building during the preload was not a guaranteed line of communication.

As others have said, don't deny everyone because some choose to abuse the system. I am not sure what the policy is now for inside workers.