Obamacare socks Union Health Plans with 40% tax

Atomic_Smurf

Amazing that our union leadership enthusiastically supported this law with a $27.5k threshold on family plans. It since has been raised but still caps our bennies. Imagine our union agreeing to cap our pay 20 yrs ago & we were reaching that cap now. That's what this law does not only for our future healthcare plans, but for our current to keep them as far away from the 40% tax as possible. It's just one of the 21 new Obamacare taxes that are pushing working class Americans out of their employer health plans.

bogeyball

Huh?

But the enlightened one said that we could keep our plan if we wanted..... can you see a connection, being forced into universal health care. Our beloved Union is complicit in this whole damn scheme.

bbsam

Staff member
Re: Obamacare socks union helath plans with 40% tax

So for a family plan of $30,000 the tax would be $(30,000-27,500) x .40. That's 40% of $2500. That's $1000. Sounds like a damn good deal to me.

trickpony1

Re: Huh?

But the enlightened one said that we could keep our plan if we wanted..... can you see a connection, being forced into universal health care. Our beloved Union is complicit in this whole damn scheme.

He also said that if you make less than $250k a year, your taxes won't go up a penny.

Would this make him a liar?

brown_trousers

So for a family plan of $30,000 the tax would be $(30,000-27,500) x .40. That's 40% of $2500. That's $1000. Sounds like a damn good deal to me.

What world do you live in that it is good to pay an extra $1000 a year? I wasnt paying $1000/yr before obamacare! It sounds like I will be now! Its true that health care costs have been rising, but I doubt my tax bill would have risen so fast without obamacare!
Repeal this obamacare garbage!

bbsam

Staff member

This year it is just less than $20k ... a comfortable margin at this point.

​The single plan cost is just under the limit ... an area of more concern.

I agree. I think the troubling thing is the amount of fear mongering going on about things that are now very well documented. We know at least this much that is in the law and yet still there is this ridiculous notion of thousands and thousands of tax dollars on the UPS helth plan. It just isn't so. If you want to hate Obamacare, go ahead. But hate it for what it is (if you even know) not for what it isn't.

bbsam

Staff member

What world do you live in that it is good to pay an extra $1000 a year? I wasnt paying $1000/yr before obamacare! It sounds like I will be now! Its true that health care costs have been rising, but I doubt my tax bill would have risen so fast without obamacare!

The plan I have for my family of five runs just under $13000 a year. $1000 is a great deal.

Atomic_Smurf

The plan I have for my family of five runs just under $13000 a year. $1000 is a great deal.
Why are working people having their earned benefits taxed while premiums skyrocket? I thought obamacare was going bring down costs for working class Americans. If Republicans had done this our union leaders would have us marching in Washington right now.

bbsam

Staff member

It very well may. It isn't fully implemented. I don't know how folks attribute increases that have been going on for decades to something not yet up and running.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Why are working people having their earned benefits taxed while premiums skyrocket? I thought obamacare was going bring down costs for working class Americans. If Republicans had done this our union leaders would have us marching in Washington right now.

I do ponder that if McCain had been elected and then re-elected, and ObamaCare never came to fruition, who'd you be blaming for UPS asking us to share in rising health care costs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Remember these guys?

yQSjsT4.jpg

Bad Gas!

Re: Teamster healthcare downgrades will continue until...

Be prepared for many more setbacks & downgrades to our health plans not only in future contracts but during the course of them as well. Especially retirees both past & future. I hate to think what portion of our pension will be given right back to pay for our insurance by the time the rest of us retire. The Affordable Care Act guarantees that the days of employers providing health insurance are numbered. Demand that Hoffa/Hall call for the full repeal of the Affordable Care Act to save it's members from the taxes, penalties & other consequences we are only beginning to realize. That is the only chance we have of ever bringing back the great plans that UPS has provided its employees for decades.

This is what 407 and TOS don't understand..They are in love with Obama whom has screwed our healthcare forever..

Atomic_Smurf

I do ponder that if McCain had been elected and then re-elected, and ObamaCare never came to fruition, who'd you be blaming for UPS asking us to share in rising health care costs.
I would have expected McCain to pass meaningful healthcare reform. Not the trogan horse lie that redistributes the benefits of the working class.