Offered Ft Utility Rt, but wasn't sure i could make the mold

Been with Brown for 7 years and I recently won a FT driving Utility bid. I have been waiting to gain enough PT seniority for quite awihle. A UPS driving gig is my goal. However I began to have serious reservations about taking the position, wondering if it would be best for my future to wait for a different bid...

1) I would have begun my route in the heart of peak (UGLY) - insane stop count, lots of snow and ice (Minnesota).
2) During peak the time for a learning curve (mistakes, refining skills) must be very small.
2) Talked to driver's and found out my route would be a horrible/impossible for a new guy during peak; 'thrown to the wolves' that kind of thing.
3) I found out that I sucked at backing during my road test.
4) And finally; I was passing the road test by the skin of my teeth. (Drove a manual for 12 years, but couldn't kick old driving habits at the drop of a dime).

In the end; I passed up the position. (Did Not go to Driving School)
Personally I felt that my skills were simply not ready to start in a Peak. After all, if your driving brown, it doesn't matter much unless you can pull it off for at least 1 year+. You got to make it stick!

In a lot of ways I have been prepared in advance by 'helping' a driver friend for a few years
i.e.
DIAD operation
Navigation
Being able to find packages and sort out the stops, etc.
Also, I move quick (Unloader 7+ years)

Although, going out on my own; with problems such as smooth vehicle operations, especially with backing, during the HARDEST time of the year; I feel the odds were stacked against me. While in Peak, stop count is so high, can't afford many mistakes (i.e. learning curve); multiple missed turns, mis-delivers, getting to know businesses, pick-ups, time commits, etc.

I think Big Brown would have Used me only to Lose me.

It seems impossible to make it as a 1st time Rookie during Peak, though i would have followed through any other time of the year.

1st post
Would appreciate any feedback.
Good choice, bad choice?
What's it like to start your 1st driving experience right in Peak?
And after 30 days of :censored2: would I have been omitted from DQ (not including an accident)?

from Minnesota, with lots of snow and ice (and accident potential)

Thank You!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello?...Anyone?...
animated-cannon-image-0008.gif

Pooter

The only problem is that you don't know when another FT gig will open up. With mass hiring, it can be years of waiting if those slots get filled with younger drivers this peak.

Everything is hard at first. Stop analyzing everything and dive head first.

Starting during peak sucks but that's valuable experience you would have gain.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Yes it would suck to be a noob during peak but it would have its advantages. In my area rules during peak are "bent" beyond recognition. Plus you would've been given a helper allowing you more time in the truck to get your plan situated. Also the only way to improve your driving is to drive. Opportunity lost in my opinion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes it would suck to be a noob during peak but it would have its advantages. In my area rules during peak are "bent" beyond recognition. Plus you would've been given a helper allowing you more time in the truck to get your plan situated. Also the only way to improve your driving is to drive. Opportunity lost in my opinion.

Our center is reluctant to give a helper to a driver who is already struggling as the driver is often unable to use the helper effectively thus wasting even more time.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
totally agree... He would have a very difficult time starting at peak but would be a much better driver in the long run. But probably wouldn't have a helper, at least in my center. Management thinks helpers are more distracting for new drivers than a benefit.

Cementups

Box Monkey
And now you just let someone with less seniority pass you over in FT seniority.
Time to put on your big boy pants and suck it up and stop waiting for everything to be easier.

The only problem is that you don't know when another FT gig will open up. With mass hiring, it can be years of waiting if those slots get filled with younger drivers this peak.

Everything is hard at first. Stop analyzing everything and dive head first.

Starting during peak sucks but that's valuable experience you would have gain.
Thanks for the feedback Pooter, definitely right about bidding waves. Seems every contract negotiation is when they really hit. My hub had lots of retirements this year, and it looks like that should continue for awhile.

Gotta ask though. Isn't it 'risky' to learn a a cut route in the middle of peak? My hub ya turn down the job and your only prevented from bids for 30 days. But if ya mess the job, gotta wait a year. Management is also known to let new drivers go after peak. Ugh.

And now you just let someone with less seniority pass you over in FT seniority.
Time to put on your big boy pants and suck it up and stop waiting for everything to be easier.
Fowl! Enough dick measuring, save it for your wife (only kidding). Your really just pointing out the obvious. Thanks, but I'm looking for insight or tips, not judgment from a monkey.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I only drove for 4 months before my first peak. Many a days it was 250 to 315 stops. I thought the same thing as you did like wtf did I get myself into with this insane madness lol. But you suck it up real quick with the dikwhoopins they put on you during peak. You definitely have to have nerves of steel to do this job in the beginning and now also. If a person is the type of person that gets their cage rattled quickly then its definitely not the type of job for that person. Only you know what type of mentality you have. Im not going to judge cause I don't know your mental makeup but I will say it again, you definitely gotta be mentally strong and have thick skin to do this job. Definitely not a job for the weak minded.

I only drove for 4 months before my first peak. Many a days it was 250 to 315 stops. I thought the same thing as you did like wtf did I get myself into with this insane madness lol. But you suck it up real quick with the dikwhoopins they put on you during peak. You definitely have to have nerves of steel to do this job in the beginning and now also. If a person is the type of person that gets their cage rattled quickly then its definitely not the type of job for that person. Only you know what type of mentality you have. Im not going to judge cause I don't know your mental makeup but I will say it again, you definitely gotta be mentally strong and have thick skin to do this job. Definitely not a job for the weak minded.

I've seen it. You guys work your :censored2: off.
Been on the road with a friend a long time (Helper) and we get our :censored2: kicked every peak. He has taught me a :censored2:load. I don't drive the car, and I don't do COD's. What I want is few months pre-peak so I am solid on my routes. Next bid I follow through either way. Awesome feedback/attitude, not another friend'ing Troll.

Question if ya don't mind. If you got a choice; start in peak? or start in off-season?