Old Farts

S

serenity now

gradual descent to the grave after 50 * once you can see the horizon, the mileposts click off faster

oldupsman

keep working and die in your browns!!! Seen it happen many times!!! Let me guess u got over 30 years and u say u like your job? Hahhaaha
Actually had a fellow driver get buried in his browns. Died from cancer while he was still working. Told his wife he wanted to be
buried in his browns because he was in them his whole life anyway. True story.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'll be celebrating the 17th anniversary of my 21st birthday in September. Sheesh...maybe I'll just be 29 from now on...

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually had a fellow driver get buried in his browns. Died from cancer while he was still working. Told his wife he wanted to be

Thats the saddest thing I've ever read on here. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to be burried in his browns. I've heard of people getting permission to haul the casket in a package car from the church to the graveyard but to actually be burried in your browns---come on - give me a break. I can picture him getting turned away at the Pearly Gates because St. Peter says they didn't order anything.

brownboxman

Was thinking about this the other day, no way do I want my life to be defined as "being a UPS man" that's one of the reasons I am getting out, I am proud of the work I have done but I have greater goals.

S

serenity now

Was thinking about this the other day, no way do I want my life to be defined as "being a UPS man" that's one of the reasons I am getting out, I am proud of the work I have done but I have greater goals.

if someone asks "what do you do?" i say that i drive for ups
some would answer : I'm a ups driver
in my view there is a difference

oldngray

nowhere special
Similar to why I always call a government worker a government employee. Although mostly that is because in my opinion so many of them get paid but don't really work.

oldupsman

Thats the saddest thing I've ever read on here. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to be burried in his browns. I've heard of people getting permission to haul the casket in a package car from the church to the graveyard but to actually be burried in your browns---come on - give me a break. I can picture him getting turned away at the Pearly Gates because St. Peter says they didn't order anything.
Guy was well liked by both his fellow drivers and managers. I knew the guy well. Had a fund raiser for him to help offset some costs.
I think part of it was tongue in cheek and also a parting shot at UPS. Never really asked him why he did it.

Glad you're getting out boxman. You'll never regret leaving. There is more to life than UPS.