One Eye on the Job, One Eye on the Helper

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A driver in our center found out last night that not every helper is a blessing from HR.
images

She was delivering in the evening and just directed the helper to deliver a house. As she's working the back of the truck, she notices that a laptop which was NI1 isn't on the shelf where she left it. As she scans the shelves, she observes the helper's bag is bigger than it was when she picked him up. She opens the bag and finds the laptop in it.

She was horrified that this would happen. She tells the helper to step outside of the truck and tells him what she saw. His bag is thrown from the truck and the door is closed. She rides out of the neighborhood and calls our boss. She was applauded at our PCM this morning for thinking quickly and retrieving the laptop.

No charges were filed because the property never left the car. (I find this BS but I'm not in law enforcement or Loss Prevention) Also, past discrepancies and issues came up in his job history after doing a secondary background check.

Moral of the story: Don't trust a helper in the back of the truck. If you're delivering 2 houses, always give them the farthest one so you can be back first. Close the bulkhead door at all times for better security. If they do have a bag, make sure it is right on the shelf behind the bulkhead or tell them to leave it in their car. It's our responsibility to not give them the opportunity to steal anything.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well i suppose because even if she snapped a pic of the laptop in the helper's bag for proof....the helper could claim that the driver put it in there to frame them...."because she didn't like me."
But good catch!

clean hairy

Looks like that person passed the dok.
Expected the unexpected, kept the eyes moving, being observant of all surroundings, and who knows what else?
Congrats on catching a thief whoever you are!

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
As a helper that is one thing I would never do. I am glad that non of the drivers I have worked with have never felt the need to not trust me.

Today I got back to the truck first and had the hand truck with me. The driver was inside and was on his way to some where else and saw me back at the truck. He just popped the door open. I never saw him but I knew he had seen me. I put the hand truck in the back and waited for the driver to get back.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Also I don't bring much with me either. Just a military jacket liner and a bottle of water.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I always make it a rule on day one. Helper is not allowed in the back of the truck. My wallet and phone are back there but more important so is my lunch! Besides its bad enough they are in your way all day at least back there you can get some space

rod

Retired 22 years
So this driver knew it was a lap top? or did she just notice a send again was missing? Something isn't quite right with this story

Johney

The new scam here is helpers texting addresses to friends on where to pick up packages. Drivers were told to pay close attention to helpers constantly texting all day............LOL!

tapatio75

A few years ago, my coworker had a helper for a couple of hours

He was happy because he found a $100 bill

Well, needless to say, it was the $100 that was missing from her purse

If he hadn't say anything to her he might've had an early xmas bonus, but he wasn't the smartest one in the club

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
So this driver knew it was a lap top? or did she just notice a send again was missing? Something isn't quite right with this story
You can tell nowadays if it's a laptop.
Virtually all are signature required and the box types are similar.
The boxes are not discreet.