Orion and time allowance's

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Yes I know, Orion again, but I could not find this and have questions.
Orion when you look at a stop for stop level does not figure in either 10 minute time bonus to the plan, so following Orion you are already losing 20 minutes, this means picks in the afternoon will be late, also with a noon commit for NDA's you will be behind.

Also some routes are only being planned for a 30 Minute lunch, anyone else running into this?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They can change first stop time. Usually, that stop time is for Clarksville, not the real world.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
They can change first stop time. Usually, that stop time is for Clarksville, not the real world.
Yep I have seen them play with that to get us to drive to the route the right way. But what I don't get is Orion is only counting a 30 minute lunch on some routes and no break time on any route. By taking those times out they are saying we should be why ahead of where we really will be later in the day. Never mind the time Orion says we will be finished at.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
If your still worrying about Orion, you just living life wrong. The first thing I do in the morning is hit "RDO".
I agree and I have ignored Orion from day one.
The issue however that we have Sups. telling drivers that Orion has them getting done in 9 hours, I think by playing with the numbers they are trying to, as they always do, get drivers to run their lunch.
Also as a safety issue telling people they should be done at an impossible time leads many to cut corners to try to get done.
Also this seems like an integrity issue on the part of UPS management.

barnyard

KTM rider
The Orion numbers and the other production numbers are completely unrelated.

I am a scratch cover driver on pretty much all the routes that I do. Those numbers do not change a whole lot whether I follow Orion perfectly or horribly.

Overpaid Union Thug

Orion when you look at a stop for stop level does not figure in either 10 minute time bonus to the plan, so following Orion you are already losing 20 minutes, this means picks in the afternoon will be late, also with a noon commit for NDA's you will be behind.

Also some routes are only being planned for a 30 Minute lunch, anyone else running into this?
Here is the absolute best way to handle all of these problems. Come in every morning and grab the DIAD. Stay away from the ORION computers at all costs. Download EDD. Run your route the safest way you know how and follow as many methods as you can. Report all potential service failures on the DIAD as soon as you foresee them. Preferably before you leave the building. The latter needs to be done in front of witnesses.

The next day don't bother looking at the reports. They are your management team's concern. Not yours. And if you are approached by a supervisor about the numbers on those reports firmly (but politely) state as such.

Repeat this process for the rest of your career and every day will smooth.

Holydriver

1- Orion time allowance doesn't matter...planned day is calculated by the old system still
2- Orion doesnt account for anything such as the time it takes to dig thru a truck to find pieces all over the truck, traffic, the 3 stops at that strip mall instead of just one.
3- your pick ups won't matter, it'll tell you to pick your 1630 pick up at 1245 and then to get you 1230 pick up at 1815 before returning to building. Just to switch that 180° tomorrow leaving you looking like am :censored2: to your customers, and your customers wondering what the hell is happening to a service they pay for and rely on

Holydriver

Here is the absolute best way to handle all of these problems. Come in every morning and grab the DIAD. Stay away from the ORION computers at all costs. Download EDD. Run your route the safest way you know how and follow as many methods as you can. Report all potential service failures on the DIAD as soon as you foresee them. Preferably before you leave the building. The latter needs to be done in front of witnesses.

The next day don't bother looking at the reports. They are your management team's concern. Not yours. And if you are approached by a supervisor about the numbers on those reports firmly (but politely) state as such.

Repeat this process for the rest of your career and every day will smooth.
This is a good post. Orion is screwing the customer over though

Cementups

Box Monkey
If your still worrying about Orion, you just living life wrong. The first thing I do in the morning is hit "RDO".

I've been trying to run it as best as I can according to Orion lately. Of course I make fixes to the orders that just make no sense. The last three days that I've run it I haven't worked over 8 hours and 10 minutes.

mrbrownstone

I was told by the center manager at a safety meeting that they can tweek Orion times based on things such as how long a driver takes lunch or if the driver is known to put in for a lunch and not take it.

The manager's words were "we can adjust Orion accordingly and make it more aggressive."

So, in essence if whomever's route it is is a lunch runner or simply doesn't like to take a whole hour management can adjust for that now.

Rack em

Made the Podium
1- Orion time allowance doesn't matter...planned day is calculated by the old system still
2- Orion doesnt account for anything such as the time it takes to dig thru a truck to find pieces all over the truck, traffic, the 3 stops at that strip mall instead of just one.
3- your pick ups won't matter, it'll tell you to pick your 1630 pick up at 1245 and then to get you 1230 pick up at 1815 before returning to building. Just to switch that 180° tomorrow leaving you looking like am :censored2: to your customers, and your customers wondering what the hell is happening to a service they pay for and rely on
I refuse to follow orion with pick up times. The customer pays for us to pick up within a certain window of time, not whenever a computer tells us to. Some businesses turn around the stuff we deliver to them and ship it the same day so they need the time in between to pack and ship the stuff.

I am a cover driver and last week I did one drivers route who actually follows orion. When I delivered to a tractor parts place the guy was rushing to print the end of day already and it was only 13:00ish. I told the guy I would be back around 16:00. When I got back he thanked me for coming back to pick up because it gave him time to process all of his outgoing which the regular driver doesn't do.... Its a shame how our company is losing the concept of customer service!

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I think my point is being missed.
My question is if they are playing with the Orion numbers they show us in the morning I feel that is both a safety and an integrity issue. I was just wondering if this is a company wide thing or is it just my building playing with numbers.

Overpaid Union Thug

My question is if they are playing with the Orion numbers they show us in the morning I feel that is both a safety and an integrity issue. I was just wondering if this is a company wide thing or is it just my building playing with numbers.
They play with all the numbers and have integrity issues in every building. But like I said....... not your problem.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As everyone has said forget about the numbers.

That solves your problem.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There isn't a whole lot we can play with in regards to ORION. The planned day and overallowed are pretty easy to mess with, ORION, not so much. It can be done, but on a center wide level it's very tough because of the limited time we have to run the solutions.