Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All their reasons are wrong.

First of which, they are too lazy.... to go to the monthly meetings.

You know what happens when you ass/u/me?

I can understand that.

If your Local has a small % of people that contribute, why waste time there.

I would call that an "opportunity"?
Seem like a great place to start?
Maybe if they sent people with some charisma and some ability to sell (a better product); instead of old, crusty "has beens" who are "owed a favor"?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I understand your point. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

The members no longer go to the meetings. We (a large percentage of drivers) went to a meeting to start showing support and get involved when the pkg car steward changed in our building. Our Business Agent stood up in front of the drivers and told them they needed to start filing grievances on a certain issue ... and they did.

When the first driver (who filed the first grievance under the direction of the business agent) went to his hearing the business agent told the labor manager that he was going to withdraw the grievance. For no reason. It was a valid grievance about supervisors working and the business agent did not have enough spine to stand up for the member in front of his buddy labor manager. That driver was very angry about what the BA did and from then on none of the drivers would go to meetings or believe anything the BA said.

I am NOT blowing you smoke. There are witnesses to more issues just like this one. The bridge has been burned so many times that there's no wood left to start over.

There's not enough members to vote him out so we just suffer under his abuse and lies.

We had never even heard of TDU until this CBA was presented and to be honest, this local representation made TDU a credible source because.....
the BA is not credible. He's the labor manager's buddy and its evident that he prefers that to our support and trust.

So BUG, please forgive me if I don't totally understand the inner workings of the IBT and DRIVE but our BA likes to keep us in the dark, uneducated, and ignorant so he can play his games.
If we had someone we could trust, was honest, and that we new was prounion life would change 180°.
Right now, it sucks and has for years under this "representation".
Thanks for your time.
No way in hell should you and your loal brothers allow this sellout to represent you. Go to meeting in droves and voice your concern. Toss his sorry ass out and stand tall together. Do not let the company win.

10 point

You know what happens when you ass/u/me?

I would call that an "opportunity"?
Seem like a great place to start?
Maybe if they sent people with some charisma and some ability to sell (a better product); instead of old, crusty "has beens" who are "owed a favor"?
The members in our building are very loyal and would get behind credible representation if there was any. They're not "TDU" and don't want TDU to fight their battles for them. They're proud Teamsters and stand up for pro union issues when they feel they can believe info from a credible source.

We had to take a grievance to the panel. The BA called the grievant and the steward into a meeting to go over the issue two days before the hearing.
He handed the grievant and steward info faxed over from the company to rebut our argument.
The date of fax transmission on the top of the pages was over two weeks prior to the meeting! So he with held this paperwork, purposely, until there was almost no time to react to or digest it.
When confronted by the steward his reply was "I didn't mean anything by it".
What the heck kind of a response was that? Caught with his hand in the "screw over the member" cookie jar. Again.

THIS is why rtw grows. THIS is why unions get weak.
Because in some locals, it's rotten from the top down.
Rotten.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The members in our building are very loyal and would get behind credible representation if there was any. They're not "TDU" and don't want TDU to fight their battles for them. They're proud Teamsters and stand up for pro union issues when they feel they can believe info from a credible source.

We had to take a grievance to the panel. The BA called the grievant and the steward into a meeting to go over the issue two days before the hearing.
He handed the grievant and steward info faxed over from the company to rebut our argument.
The date of fax transmission on the top of the pages was over two weeks prior to the meeting! So he with held this paperwork, purposely, until there was almost no time to react or digest it.
When confronted by the steward he reply was "I didn't mean anything by it".
What the heck kind of a response was that? Caught with his hand in the "screw over the member" cookie jar. Again.
Local autonomy at its not-so-finest.
You are what you suck.

10 point

Local autonomy at its not-so-finest.
You are what you suck.
Local autonomy. Yeah. That's what he wants to claim.
Especially when we (without the BA) have to go out of local to combat a labor manager's claim that some agreement that a past BA in another local signed that screwed part timers out of overtime pay after 5 hrs "would be binding in our local too"
If it wasn't for the steward in that local sending me the info to negate the LM bs our "local autonomy" would have been invisible.

Wonder why some locals have angry stewards and members?
Thank God for people who don't get a paycheck from the local but put their future's (and that of their family too) on the line to protect members.

5habits100

THIS is why rtw grows. THIS is why unions get weak.
Because in some locals, it's rotten from the top down.
Rotten.

Being respectful to you.

In my opinion RTW grows because people don't get involved. They don't want to do anything about the issues because their life is more important than yours or mine. Look at the percentage or people voting on contracts, in local elections and IBT elections. They are content with going along because they don't think it will affect them. Look at what happened in Ohio when they tried RTW with public sector. Teamsters showed up to support them. How many police, fire, school teachers or other public sector employees were there? Not many. Why? Because they supported the move on RTW. They don't think it will affect them nor do they care because they think it's their right to have what they have and they don't think the union did anything to get them what they have. My spouse and I are both pro union so sorry about the rant but to blame RTW on the unions, in my opinion is not correct.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Being respectful to you.

In my opinion RTW grows because people don't get involved. They don't want to do anything about the issues because their life is more important than yours or mine. Look at the percentage or people voting on contracts, in local elections and IBT elections. They are content with going along because they don't think it will affect them. Look at what happened in Ohio when they tried RTW with public sector. Teamsters showed up to support them. How many police, fire, school teachers or other public sector employees were there? Not many. Why? Because they supported the move on RTW. They don't think it will affect them nor do they care because they think it's their right to have what they have and they don't think the union did anything to get them what they have. My spouse and I are both pro union so sorry about the rant but to blame RTW on the unions, in my opinion is not correct.
What the hell are you talking about?
There has never been a Right to Work initiative in the public (or private) sector, in the State of Ohio to date.

If you're talking about Senate Bill 5 or Issue 2, back in 2011, then you still don't know what you're talking about.

That Bill sought to limit public sector unions collective bargaining rights, as well as restrict public sector unions from endorsing political candidates (it preceded a Presidential election year, Ohio a swing state that was union endorsed for Obama).
It had nothing to do with paying dues or RTW.
When Governor of Ohio, John Kasich (R) pushed it through the state legislature, public and private sector unions worked together to gain enough signatures to have the Bill suspended until a referendum could be voted on in the Fall of 2011.
The voters overwhelming showed up in record numbers to repeal the Bill by a 2-1 margin.
I attended 2 rallies, one in Columbus, during this process and there were representatives from many private and public sector unions, especially police, fire, school teachers and nurses unions and their members.
It was through this collective process that this travesty of a Bill never came to fruition and was one of my proudest moments as a Teamster/Union member.

Wanna try again?

5habits100

What the hell are you talking about?
There has never been a Right to Work initiative in the public (or private) sector, in the State of Ohio to date.

If you're talking about Senate Bill 5 or Issue 2, back in 2011, then you still don't know what you're talking about.

That Bill sought to limit public sector unions collective bargaining rights, as well as restrict public sector unions from endorsing political candidates (it preceded a Presidential election year, Ohio a swing state that was union endorsed for Obama).
It had nothing to do with paying dues or RTW.
When Governor of Ohio, John Kasich (R) pushed it through the state legislature, public and private sector unions worked together to gain enough signatures to have the Bill suspended until a referendum could be voted on in the Fall of 2011.
The voters overwhelming showed up in record numbers to repeal the Bill by a 2-1 margin.
I attended 2 rallies, one in Columbus, during this process and there were representatives from many private and public sector unions, especially police, fire, school teachers and nurses unions and their members.
It was through this collective process that this travesty of a Bill never came to fruition and was one of my proudest moments as a Teamster/Union member.

Wanna try again?
What the hell are you talking about? Wow that felt good.

The measure repealed legislation that limited collective bargaining for public employees in the state. The formal title of the proposal that this measure would repeal was Senate Bill 5. Most notably, SB 5 prevented unions from charging fair share dues to employees who chose to opt out.

If you don't think that was a form of RTW then I can't help you.

As far as Columbus goes, if you were there then you know there wasn't anywhere even close to the numbers that should have been there.

Now, you wanna try again?

10 point

Being respectful to you.

I'm not blaming "the unions" for the appeal of rtw for existing bargaining unit workers.

I am talking about the mindset of union members who feel their representation on the local level is not worth paying dues for. Your BA is the face of the IBT to many hourly employees.

That's all I'm saying. If the potatoes at the store are rotten you don't buy them.

Im not equating the disapproval of the union across the board to be a catalyst for rtw for people that have lost faith in a BA that they can see face to face (not that the BA comes to our building to talk to members) but yes, pt timers I know would dump the dues in a heartbeat because they see very little support from the local and it's not because of laziness on the members part.

This has nothing to do with other great locals and their honest BAs. I appreciate our union and the strength of the members.
It's not your problem. It's ours.

5habits100

I'm not blaming "the unions" for the appeal of rtw for existing bargaining unit workers.

I am talking about the mindset of union members who feel their representation on the local level is not worth paying dues for. Your BA is the face of the IBT to many hourly employees.

That's all I'm saying. If the potatoes at the store are rotten you don't buy them.

Im not equating the disapproval of the union across the board to be a catalyst for rtw for people that have lost faith in a BA that they can see face to face (not that the BA comes to our building to talk to members) but yes, pt timers I know would dump the dues in a heartbeat because they see very little support from the local and it's not because of laziness on the members part.

This has nothing to do with other great locals and their honest BAs. I appreciate our union and the strength of the members.
It's not your problem. It's ours.
It is everyone's problem

Irishman Collins

Being respectful to you.

Maybe if our current administration and locals did more to promote and educate our members they would vote and "get involved". It is up to our Union leaders to rally the troops, so to speak. Instead, they are all worrying what TDU is doing and how to degrade any reform movement that might be coming their way. Their motto must be " politics before people "

5habits100

Maybe if our current administration and locals did more to promote and educate our members they would vote and "get involved". It is up to our Union leaders to rally the troops, so to speak. Instead, they are all worrying what TDU is doing and how to degrade any reform movement that might be coming their way. Their motto must be " politics before people "
Look in the mirror.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So BUG, please forgive me if I don't totally understand the inner workings of the IBT and DRIVE

It's all good.

Most members don't. That is the main reason I post here.

I like to help enlighten members, from my experience.

But our BA likes to keep us in the dark, uneducated, and ignorant so he can play his games.
If we had someone we could trust, was honest, and that we new was prounion life would change 180°.
Right now, it sucks and has for years under this "representation".

That bothers me, to hear that. (I could talk for hours.... about it)

Personally.... I'm not jealous of my knowledge.

Some are.

-Bug-

10 point

It's all good.

Most members don't. That is the main reason I post here.

I like to help enlighten members, from my experience.

That bothers me, to hear that. (I could talk for hours.... about it)

Personally.... I'm not jealous of my knowledge.

Some are.

-Bug-
I appreciate that and I'm glad that you post.

5habits100

Then what?
He will see he is a hypocrite. Maybe. He didn't see it before so I really shouldnt expect he changed.

Big bad union officials. Put me in office. I will get our healthcare back, get Hoffa out of office, change the panels. Sound like something that's been said to you before or something you might say?