Other hubs - What's it like to work?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Dude846, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Dude846

Dude846 Backpacks with Jets

I'm curious to see how other hubs, larger hubs work.

Are there any videos or anything of that sort?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Google "Worldport"

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

Just looked up worldport, damn imagine all the misloads, that's far from the center I come from where everybody's almost kin.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

Worldport does not have misloads---they have missorts, and much fewer than you may think.

5. HardknocksUPSer

6. UpstateNYUPSer

Worldport is an air hub. They don't load pkg cars---they load planes.

7. HardknocksUPSer

Gotcha

8. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I've heard wrong cars misleads misloads missorts. We all use different terminology.

9. Number24

Number24 #24

What is this word that you speak of?

10. HardknocksUPSer

I call them misloads, obviously if you load airplanes instead of package cars its called a "missort"

11. Number24

Number24 #24

I know, I know. :-) nothing but a little sarcasm on my end.

12. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

I call 'em :censored2:-ups. No confusion that way.

13. It's extremely automated so missorts are pretty rare. Not saying they don't happen. But they happen at a much lower rate than if it was all done by hand.

I've shown my guys pictures from inside of CACH and Worldport. It's funny to see the amazement on their faces. CACH has something like a 1.4 miles perimeter. We have a belt and two doors. Not even a fence. I did it to get them to appreciate what goes into everything. We don't want to be late because we don't want to cause issues down the line for places like CACH and Worldport.

OP go on YouTube and type in world port national geographic. It's a bit older, but Nat Geo did a show just on WorldPort. It's really cool to see it all. Makes you appreciate being in a smaller center.

14. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

An outhouse smells pretty much the same wherever they are.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Satuirus2000

Satuirus2000 Member

I work at the Worldport Hub and the NatGeo youtube video essentially does a good job of showing what goes on there.

The good thing about its size is that there are hundreds of different jobs you can do there if you get bored doing one thing, or just want to transfer to another building.

Missorts largely depend on the type of building you're in. The older ones tend to have far less missorts than the newer ones. In the old buildings, things come down one belt and there are a row of cans or feeders on each side stretching the length of the belt. As packages come down, you have to see which package is yours and manually scan it into your corresponding load.

In the newer buildings, there are belts/ and or chutes that go into each individual can or feeder, so the packages usually divert to the right load. However since you don't have to manually scan in the package, potential missorts can happen since people don't bother to look at the label to see if it's correct.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

I have seen this and it is really cool.

17. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

So they don't sort the planes, they LOAD them? Still seems like the term misload applys. Sure, it's "missorted" into a can, and then loaded. It's still a misload.

18. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

George Orwell summed it up best in his monumental book 1984

"A boot stomping on a human face, forever"

19. blkmamba

blkmamba Active Member

Missort is used when it is sent to the wrong sort as in a cachd was sorted into a cacht trailer. Misload was wrong truck entirely. At least that's how we used the terms at my old hub

20. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

Missorts happen in the building. Misloads happen on the preload. Misleads happen when, the twilight shows up at the bar on Friday night.