Out of hours!

rwsmith67

But but, doesn't the law say it is the responsibility of the driver to know if he/she has enough time left?

Over, just work tonight as usual and then start your shift on Sunday. Then after you are running out of hours call them and tell them to come get ya. Sounds like OT to me. LOL...Just kidding, it all depends on if you want to be off tonight or sunday.

It is the drivers responsibility to keep track of his/her hours, don't get yourself in a situation.

Never been in quite this scenario before...

I have 14 hours available today, start at 1400.
Next week I change days to Sun to Thurs, 0700 start, so I'll not have a reset.

Do I:

1. Call in now, and tell them I can work today OR Sunday?

2. Go to work and tell them when I start?

3. Work today, call Sun and tell them I don't have 8 available?
Go with number 3 its there bed let them lie in it.:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
over

there are a lot of different things floated here. there are two issues, your knowing when you are out of hours, and when you can return to work after resetting the clock, and ups knowing.

you already know how the hours stack up. and ups should. if they dont, its their problem, not yours. after all, the management cutbacks have yet to take place, so they still have an overabundance of paper pushers to keep track of the hours issues.

so the real issue to be asked is do you want to watch the game or not?

d

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I would work tonight, and inform them as I clocked out that you can't make the Sunday start because of the 34 hour reset. Let them call up a coverguy to get Sunday done......

It`s O9`s job to know how many hours of service he has available,which he does.As long as he knows when his reset time is and does not try and work before that time then he has done his part in managing his hours. If management choose to work him tonight to the extent that he will not have reset before his next start work time that is their choice. Happens all the time.

over9five

Staff member
And here I am home early. I took Coves advice and told them when I started. As I am just WAD-ing this week, it was easy for them to get me out early in time to reset for Sunday. Everyone's happy.

brownrod

And here I am home early. I took Coves advice and told them when I started. As I am just WAD-ing this week, it was easy for them to get me out early in time to reset for Sunday. Everyone's happy.

That's what I would have done.

What game is everyone talking about?

bumped

I would have chosen

3. Work today, call Sun and tell them I don't have 8 available?

As I've been told before, "I'm not paid to think."

browniehound

So you think I should call Sunday?

I shoulda made this a poll.....

I don't know the rules that govern your available hours, but I would guess the onus is on UPS to keep track of them. They are the ones making the schedule, so my hunch is they should know everyones available hours and should plan accordingly.

I could be 100% incorrect but my perception is you can choose which ever scenario you want.

The question then becomes: do you want to make them scramble at the last minute and piss off your managers? I would guess a big YA:happy2:, LOL.

That being said, I dont know what the hell I'm talking about:whiteflag:,

Good luck,
Brownie

over9five

Staff member
Technically, we are guaranteed 8 hours. I am sure the union and my steward would tell me I did the wrong thing.
I'm pretty sure the union would have wanted me to work my full Friday shift, and then not have worked Sunday.

But that would have lost me a lot of money.

rod

Retired 22 years
Technically, we are guaranteed 8 hours. I am sure the union and my steward would tell me I did the wrong thing.
I'm pretty sure the union would have wanted me to work my full Friday shift, and then not have worked Sunday.

But that would have lost me a lot of money.

[video=youtube;8_ofFa50LzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhzi8PvDYw"]YouTube- Pink Floyd - Money[/url][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ofFa50LzY[/video]

bluehdmc

You don't have to reset. Over peak I got off work on Sat am around 9:30 and started Sunday at 9:00 am. My regular job starts at 8:45pm. Because I didn't have the 34 hr restart, I just had to make sure I didn't exceed 60 hrs at anytime in the previous 7 so I kept track of my hours to make sure I had 3 1/4 hours at the end of the previous day so I could start work.
What I would do was check the summary page on the log on the ivis after midnite. If you do that it will tell you how many hours for the previous 7 and how many hours you have available that day. If it said I had only 8 hrs I had to make sure I was off the clock at 5:45 am so I had enough hours to come in that evening at 8:45.
It doesn't seem to be the most accurate timekeeper though. The ivis seems to round to the nearest 15min which is what you would do with a paper log, sometimes Ivis will say I worked say 47 1/2 hrs and I'll get paid for 47.65 or something like that. If I'm using the Ivis to keep track of the hours I just leave a little cushion and don't try to work 60 hrs exactly. (not that the opportunity happens too much lately). I

As long as you don't:

A: Exceed 60 hr in a 7 day period. (because that is the way you employer counts, if your employer used 70 hrs in an 8 day period, that would apply)

B: Be "on-duty" more than 14 hours in a 24 hr period.

You're good to go.

You can don't need 34hrs off. The 34 hr rule only resets the clock. If you worked 4 14hr days, and 1 4 hr day = 60hrs, then you were off 34 you would reset.
concievably you could work 7 days a week, 8.57 hr days (equals just under 60hrs)
365 days a year and never need the 34 hr restart. Or 6 days, 10 hrs a day.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They do keep track of your hours as well as you should. I think over did was was in his best interest,cuz we alllll know that UPS does what in their best interest all the time!! Good call Over,I bet alot of guys would have taken that option if there was OT on Sunday !!

P

pickup

They do keep track of your hours as well as you should. I think over did was was in his best interest,cuz we alllll know that UPS does what in their best interest all the time!! Good call Over,I bet alot of guys would have taken that option if there was OT on Sunday !!

I could be wrong, but I don't see him getting paid OT for the sunday tour of duty. He is working a sun through thursday job. Let us know how you got paid for it , over when you get your paycheck a week and half from now.

over9five

Staff member
I could be wrong, but I don't see him getting paid OT for the sunday tour of duty. He is working a sun through thursday job. Let us know how you got paid for it , over when you get your paycheck a week and half from now.

I usually work Sun thru Thurs. Sunday is always time and a half.