p-800

curiousbrain

I'd say about 75% of the cars in the center where I am employed are 800's, with 1000's and 700's making up the rest.

I've never driven one myself, but we recently had a management candidate qualify on-road, and they drove an 800; being a downtown urban route, they were riding the clutch all day and said their left knee was shot. On a somewhat related note, they also lost 15 pounds, which is indicative of the physical demands put on a typical driver. I don't know how some drivers do it day in and day out.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'd say about 75% of the cars in the center where I am employed are 800's, with 1000's and 700's making up the rest.

I've never driven one myself, but we recently had a management candidate qualify on-road, and they drove an 800; being a downtown urban route, they were riding the clutch all day and said their left knee was shot. On a somewhat related note, they also lost 15 pounds, which is indicative of the physical demands put on a typical driver. I don't know how some drivers do it day in and day out.
I can't. They kill me. Last peak I begged my OR to not put me in a p8. It worked for the most part but even 1 day is 2 days too many.

Overpaid Union Thug

I actually prefer an 800 for some routes now because they'll hold plenty of packages but aren't as cumbersome has 1000s. For me though nothing beats those older 700s with the flat front ends. Someone that knows the correct terminology please feel free to state the correct name. I could care less about the newer 2006ish 700s with all of their beeping noises and lousy turning radius. We do have some brand new trucks that are somewhere between a 700 and an 800 with LED interior lights. Pretty sweet but by the time I have enough seniority to drive one on a regular basis they'll be today's equivalent of a 500. Or crushed already.

DorkHead

I drove a 1964 ford p600 with wooden bulkhead doors and shelves for about 4 yrs. Then a p800 for 16 yrs. Now a new P600 for the last 4 or 5 yrs.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I drive them just about every day Im on a split route. Much better than a 10 cube. Those things cant go in many of the drives I do.
Why are you in DRIVES.....DRIVEWAYS.......in my area, this is not allowed........you're supposed to walk off those drives.....too much backing, potential for customer damage, accidents ...etc...etc

brown bomber

brown bomber
prior to my retirement, I drove a P-700, that had the number assigned...660..99 it was an INternational........it had an amazing turning radius, I could literally turn it around in a residential intersection..........other than that, it was perhaps the worst vehicle I drove in snow conditions

To bad they can't make an 800 now with a low step power steering automatic with toll up door. The extra 100 cube over the p700 would be nice and a roll up door could be a real game changer. That would be good logistics.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why are you in DRIVES.....DRIVEWAYS.......in my area, this is not allowed........you're supposed to walk off those drives.....too much backing, potential for customer damage, accidents ...etc...etc

This driveway is about 1/4 of a mile long. If you really want to walk it off and meet this guy....go for it! Just make sure your life insurance is paid up first. Oh and by the way, you know that little plastic DIAD you are holding as a shield? I've got a newsflash for you....it isnt going to be quite as effective on him as it is on a 45 pound dog. Good luck!
bigbull.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
I am currently on WC thanks to our P800s. No power steering tore my shoulders apart. I have had surgeries on both shoulders and might be back the beginning of May. My Dr has said that I will be restricted to power steering only and my boss has told me that it will be my responsibility to only run routes that have cars with power steering.

My injury will cost UPS a significant amount of money. I do not believe that they are saving any money by keeping those dinosaurs around. Modern standards with subpar equipment is costing UPS people.

tarbar66

I remember when we got the first new P8's in our center which was about the time car numbers went from 5(66299) to 6 digits(507780). The p8's handled like they had power steering. What happened that the easy steering went away?

I don't miss them!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am currently on WC thanks to our P800s. No power steering tore my shoulders apart. I have had surgeries on both shoulders and might be back the beginning of May. My Dr has said that I will be restricted to power steering only and my boss has told me that it will be my responsibility to only run routes that have cars with power steering.

My injury will cost UPS a significant amount of money. I do not believe that they are saving any money by keeping those dinosaurs around. Modern standards with subpar equipment is costing UPS people.

Have no fear. Your local "safety committee" is hard at work creating a brand new Nine Point Rotator Cuff Commentary for you to memorize and recite every week that will allow you to drive any vehicle with no pain or shoulder problems whatsoever. And as an added bonus, if you recite it correctly the first time they will give you a sticker and a cookie.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

One like you in every Center. How can a company be this blind to a technology called power steering that was invented in the 1930's. Mind boggling. I guess a guy on comp for a year is cheap these days.