P/T sup to Driver

Pooter

Transfer to preload, kiss CMs ass year long. Drive during peak. Success. 6-1 can be you with magic. Happens countless times here.

...and have fun getting rid of that stigma.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was a PT Sup for 3 years, I've been driving the past 14 years.

It is very difficult to become a driver from that position but not impossible.
Things that you need to remember.

A) UPS uses a 6 to 1 hiring ratio (may depend on local supplement) , they have to fulfill this requirement before they can give a non-union employee (population you) a chance to become a driver

B) You have no rights to become a driver so any chance you have is a favor from upper management. Will only happen if they like you. I suggest talking to your boss and being on friendly terms with your building center manager's and DM

C) Be prepared to find your replacement because they will not let you go without one. I found 2 part timers to become supervisors which made my boss ecstatic.

D) Use your management status to practice driving the truck around your building's yard. Learn all your safety jargon and methods. You will be held to a higher standard so you will have to keep them impressed and to let them know they are not making a bad decision.

E) Also, if you were hired as a union employee before you became a supervisor, you will need to repay all dues you have missed unless you were wise to get a withdrawal card before you entered management.

friend) You will not be trusted by any union official or hard-core Teamster. They will still think of you as management and will wait for you to fail and take your next step into full-time management. They will still properly represent you if you ever need steward representation, but if you need a steward, you are probably going down the wrong road. Took me 3 years plus before I was totally accepted but still feel a couple :censored2: drivers still paint me as a former tie.

Hope this helps

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you went full time management, a degree would help you tremendously. If you don't have a degree, you will be stuck in operations your whole life.

If they are requiring a degree to go driving, that pretty much tells you they have shot down any idea of you becoming a driver.

mercury7

This was told to someone they had already approved and scheduled a date for. The current hub mngmt is greedy and doesn't was to give up it's sups so they hold them back

mercury7

I remember when it used to be that before you could go into full time management you have to drive for six weeks

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Like I said in Post #6-B

You have no rights to become a driver. If they let one do it, it was a backroom decision. It is their decision and theirs alone.