P/T sup to Driver

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heffernan I don't have any language in my supplement that says anything about a rehire able to keep his seniority if he pays backdues - I assume this is an article in yours?
three years of PT back dues was cheaper than an initiation fee? Wow, how much is the fee?

You are both right, it wasn't cheaper. That was my mistake to say and I screwed up that post.

It's been 14 years since I became a driver so I am trying to recall how it was put to me. The reason I paid the back dues was to be in good standing but I lost all pension credit for my time as a supervisor regardless. Since I only worked 3 years part time and "left" without a withdrawal card, I would lose those 3 years of PT for pension purposes if I didn't pay my dues up. That is the reason you are always suppose to get your withdrawal card.

I was always an employee of UPS so my pt seniority hire date never was in jeopardy. I'm sorry for saying my hire date was the reason for it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You are both right, it wasn't cheaper. That was my mistake to say and I screwed up that post.

It's been 14 years since I became a driver so I am trying to recall how it was put to me. The reason I paid the back dues was to be in good standing but I lost all pension credit for my time as a supervisor regardless. Since I only worked 3 years part time and "left" without a withdrawal card, I would lose those 3 years of PT for pension purposes if I didn't pay my dues up. That is the reason

I was always an employee of UPS so my pt seniority hire date never was in jeopardy. I'm sorry for saying my hire date was the reason for it.
no problem Heff...the years at ups seem to blur into one another after a while...lol. It's hard to remember that kind of stuff years later.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If I remember correctly, I think the initation fee is 250. 3years of dues for me would be over $600.
I believe I paid $550 initiation then when I went to a union meeting and got sworn in they gave me $100 of it back. They do that to get new guys to come to a meeting at least once. It's surprising how many won't even go to get $100 back.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I believe I paid $550 initiation then when I went to a union meeting and got sworn in they gave me $100 of it back. They do that to get new guys to come to a meeting at least once. It's surprising how many won't even go to get $100 back.
Stupid question, but do the initation fees and amount of dues paid per month vary by local?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Stupid question, but do the initation fees and amount of dues paid per month vary by local?
I believe the IBT constitution requires collection of an initiation fee of $2.50 or 10% of whatever (your) Local's bylaws have established.
Limiting my comments about dues to our bargaining unit; minimum monthly dues are 2.5X your hourly wage, unless your wage is less than $11/hr (I believe those members pay $22/mo). With (your) Local free to establish higher rates in their bylaws. Your Local pays a per capita to the IBT out of what it collects from you.