Parcel vs Freight

Apd

I was wondering if you guys could give me some insite on UPS vs UPSF. Obviously one is parcel and the other is freight, but I want to know in the long run which one might be the better choice. I’m in my early 20s and looking for a place I can stay for the long haul and retire from. From what I’m hearing UPS is union and has great benefits, but it can take years and years to work your way up to a feeder driver. On the other hand it sounds like I can become a driver faster over on the freight side, but it would be less pay/benefits? Does anyone have any figures on how much of a difference it is in terms of pay/benefits? I know i'm going to have to work my way up no matter which side I decide to go with, but is parcel worth the long wait for the union/benefits? Any advice is appreciated.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As a young person starting a career I really don't know that this job will be around in another 30-40 years. If so it'll likely be a lot difference and not compensated near as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cars that drive themselves makes this job essentially a helper job. Not that ups man won't still be a job just that it'll be more like fedex ground compensation than what we have now.

UPS and the Teamsters both realize that something needs to be done to ensure that we remain competitive with Ground. Since we can't force Fred to starting paying his employees a living wage future drivers will start at a lower wage and will have to work longer to receive a lower top out. These employees may also have to pay for a portion of their healthcare. The job, which has changed dramatically in just the 25 years that I have been here, will continue to "evolve" with even more of an emphasis on production.

To the OP----if your goal is to drive as quickly as possible you should apply at Freight.

Indecisi0n

Really? Cars could drive themselves now its all about accepting the technology. 30-40 years is a a long time!!!!
Just because they can doesn't mean they will. You know legally how long it would take to implement that? Not saying it will never happen but with all legal and safety precautions I couldn't see driverless cars on the road in the near future.

Brownslave688

Just because they can doesn't mean they will. You know legally how long it would take to implement that? Not saying it will never happen but with all legal and safety precautions I couldn't see driverless cars on the road in the near future.

We currently have cars with lane assist accident prevention braking and cruise control. Not to mention self parking and many other "safety" features. I may be wrong and everyone can laugh at me if it never happens but 30 years is a very long time when it comes to technology. 30 years ago no one had a computer or the Internet. Now we all hold more computing power in our hands everyday than would fit in our living rooms then.

Indecisi0n

We currently have cars with lane assist accident prevention braking and cruise control. Not to mention self parking and many other "safety" features. I may be wrong and everyone can laugh at me if it never happens but 30 years is a very long time when it comes to technology. 30 years ago no one had a computer or the Internet. Now we all hold more computing power in our hands everyday than would fit in our living rooms then.

Your talking about a lot of little safety features which are great but they don't put others lives in danger. You know long the infostructure alone is going to take? Installing sensors along every single road. Then making sure those sensor can't be tampered with? If we saw fully driverless cars in the next 20 years I would be surprised.

Brownslave688

I am talking about when it goes into full production where all of the general public have them.
You see though. The general public doesn't need them. Just ups. Whom I would think would be very early adapters. 20 years I agree its not likely. Most people who start today with ups will likely be about 40 years before they retire. 5-10 part time and 30-35 full time.

All I'm saying is I believe anyone starting now will be on the outlier side of who can probably consider ups a very good paying stay here your whole life "career". In another 5-10 I most certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone because personally I don't think they would make it to retirement without a massive pay cut.

upschuck

I don't think anyone would take a pay cut, they would be grandfathered in. I can see possibly that the self driven car and a helper used to deliver package year around, and not have anymore drivers. Can't see the use of robots to deliver, as some have previously said.