Part-Timers are the Big Winners in this Contract

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
anonymous...I understand your point...collective and mandatory healthcare in one plan would most likely make it less expensive for us all.

What I was thinking is that if for example UPS paid $4500 for a part-timers healthcare (which was on our W-2s this year). Would that part-timer be more satisfied with that compensation in his or her paycheck rather than having to spend it on a healthcare package.. (thinking that he or she may be covered by a parent's health plan).

Once again....under the new Obamacare plan (which I know very little about), it may not even be possible to turn down healthcare. Also....most part-timers that I know do want and need healthcare coverage...

The $4500 amount, which varies regionally and is nearly double in some locations, is the fair market value of your health insurance plan. Status quo, the actual costs paid by UPS are the management fees paid to the providers -- which is probably a few hundred dollars at the most -- and any claims you may have made. The young bucks most likely to accept cash buyouts cost UPS very little, and are also "subsidizing" the insurance of older workers most likely to utilize it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
anonymous...I understand your point...collective and mandatory healthcare in one plan would most likely make it less expensive for us all.

What I was thinking is that if for example UPS paid $4500 for a part-timers healthcare (which was on our W-2s this year). Would that part-timer be more satisfied with that compensation in his or her paycheck rather than having to spend it on a healthcare package.. (thinking that he or she may be covered by a parent's health plan).

Once again....under the new Obamacare plan (which I know very little about), it may not even be possible to turn down healthcare. Also....most part-timers that I know do want and need healthcare coverage...

The $4500 amount, which varies regionally and is nearly double in some locations, is the fair market value of your health insurance plan. Status quo, the actual costs paid by UPS are the management fees paid to the providers -- which is probably a few hundred dollars at the most -- and any claims you may have made. The young bucks most likely to accept cash buyouts cost UPS very little, and are also "subsidizing" the insurance of older workers most likely to utilize it.

It's a DANGEROUS GAME if you allow employees the right to keep money over health insurance !

Health Insurance isn't there just for an annual visit or broken arm, IT"S FOR CANCER, MAJOR HEART SURGERY, etc THAT WOULD CRIPPLE AN EMPLOYEE INTO BANKRUPTCY

No matter if you're 25 or 55 , THE BIG ONE can only be a day away.

Stop your nonsense !! :ill:

saintrick

I do not think most understand this. They see $14750 on their W2 and think thats how much ups paid to cover them.

33 years ago I started at a pay rate of 8.50 an hour. now they star part timers at 8.85 or is it 8.95. THIS IS CRIMINAL! if anyone on this form feels that starting at $10 an hour is great than you live in the fear zone bubble thats been created by all the corporations that, like UPS, have expanded thier presents all over the world by getting the work force to do more for less money or more for the same money! I would preffer to keep my driving wage the same and the same bennie's and make all new hires starting wage $15.OO AN HOUR with full bennie's! WE NEED TO HAVE A COPY OF THE CONTRACT PROPOSAL AND GO OVER IT FOR AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE VOTING ON IT!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

It's a DANGEROUS GAME if you allow employees the right to keep money over health insurance !

Health Insurance isn't there just for an annual visit or broken arm, IT"S FOR CANCER, MAJOR HEART SURGERY, etc THAT WOULD CRIPPLE AN EMPLOYEE INTO BANKRUPTCY

You are assuming that those opting out would not have any insurance, however they'd probably be either under 26, and thus covered under their parents' insurance, or working at UPS part-time to supplement their income, supplement suggesting they have another job, one offering a better deal as far as benefits go. Those who work at UPS for the benefits (often people who also have a another job) of course wouldn't opt out.

Allowing employees to opt out is a very good way to offer employees a raise and save UPS money.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
im a parent of an adult child and just got the semi-anual update form last week. it clearly states this..."For plan years prior to January 1, 2014, an adult Dependent Child is not eligible for coverage under the Plan if such child is eligible for coverage under another employer-sponsored health plan other than a group health plan of a parent." unless im reading this wrong it looks like if a kid under 26 gets a p/t job at UPS and UPS offers them benefits (after 18 months), they would no longer be eligible to be under mom and dads insurance. so there would be no option to opt out for kids in this situation.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
im a parent of an adult child and just got the semi-anual update form last week. it clearly states this..."For plan years prior to January 1, 2014, an adult Dependent Child is not eligible for coverage under the Plan if such child is eligible for coverage under another employer-sponsored health plan other than a group health plan of a parent." unless im reading this wrong it looks like if a kid under 26 gets a p/t job at UPS and UPS offers them benefits (after 18 months), they would no longer be eligible to be under mom and dads insurance. so there would be no option to opt out for kids in this situation.

Almost all insurance polices have these stipulations. My PT policy, for example, is explicit that should I ever be eligible for any other insurance, I must accept such insurance & notify UPS (administrator) immediately so that my UPS policy becomes secondary. But if I decline (or received a cash payout in lieu of) another insurance policy, it'd be extremely difficult for UPS to find out.

InsideUPS

Bagles, thanks for the info on the W-2 Box DD amount. My amount was actually $14K.... however, I was quoting the reported amount of my single young co-workers. I was not aware that it was simply a "fair market value". I would like to know what premiums UPS will now pay for PT healthcare with Central States (for those that will be moved to that plan). Also, from an accounting standpoint, I wonder if UPS gets to write off the fair market value or the actual costs as you mentioned. I'm sure that UPS has the best "Creative Accountants" available for the job....which is certainly more than fine with me.

InsideUPS

Please Heffernan..... could you extend that range of ages in future posts? What happens after 55? It was bad enough when I got my AARP card when I turned 50. Now I'm off the charts when discussing the BIG ONE... :anxious:...

saintrick

This rule applied to grandfathered plans and expires at the end of 2013.

From healthcare.gov

Your children can join or remain on your plan even if they are:

• married
  • not living with you
  • attending school
  • not financially dependent on you
  • eligible to enroll in their employer’s plan
There is one temporary exception: Until 2014, “grandfathered” group plans do not have to offer dependent coverage up to age 26 if a young adult is eligible for group coverage outside their parent’s plan

Notcool

Pter for 7 years. No driving opportunity in sight. I wake up sore and angry for 40 bucks a night. I feel like a WINNER!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Instead of raising part time pay, put that money into full time pension plans so the old timers can get out and open up full time jobs for current part timers. More than one way to skin a cat.

Drink Craft Beer

UPS has no interest in keeping it's part-time work force.....or for that matter...it's full time work force. Think about it...

The longer you and I stay...the more we make....the more vacation we accumulate....the more we cost.....and...the more UPS loses..

Turnover is the lifeblood of UPS.....although not necessarily for mid to low level supervisors and managers within operations..

This ^^^^

Plus the longer you've been there, the more harassment some will get. Wanting you to blow your top and quit or do / say something to get fired.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You are assuming that those opting out would not have any insurance, however they'd probably be either under 26, and thus covered under their parents' insurance, or working at UPS part-time to supplement their income, supplement suggesting they have another job, one offering a better deal as far as benefits go. Those who work at UPS for the benefits (often people who also have a another job) of course wouldn't opt out.

Allowing employees to opt out is a very good way to offer employees a raise and save UPS money.

Just because a UPS employee under 26 can stay/join his family's healthcare plan, doesn't mean they should opt-out of UPS HEALTHCARE

WHAT IDIOT PARENT WOULD PAY AN EXTRA 150-300 DOLLARS A MONTH TO KEEP THE FAMILY PLAN GOING , WHEN THEY GET IT FOR FREE !!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Times do change.....and intelligent people do and can adapt....BUT....they also ask questions....AND more importantly...are able to think for themselves...

You sure you were a union steward or for that matter even in the Union?

Resistance is futile ... just accept it.

RealPerson

Seems like a lot of centers still have the Long waiting to go driving times.. When I started 18 years ago it was a 5-7 year wait in my center. After 2008, cut back and lots of Mean management and lots of pending termination letters, most people quitting. You can drive in 1 year now, and bid sheets are up all the time for drivers.