Peak is here! How are you doing???

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's great for you, Upstate. I'm happy for you.
My day will be as it was today. All those rtes that will gain an hour or an hour and a half will not mean squat to me. They will not accomodate the garbage rtes. I will still get dumped on and while you are going home at 5/6 I will not be getting home until 10 or 11. Merry freaking Christmas.

Sorry Upstate, did not mean to dump on you. It's not your fault.:happy2:
And my day was exactly as I expected. friend'd up. The bright side was that my eta was so late that I got lot's a help.:happy-very: Clocked out at 8pm.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dilli, I'm sorry your Peak did not go as well as you may have liked but the best part about Peak is that it ends 12/24. Enjoy your Christmas with your significant other and forget about Brown for a while. My son and I are going to have a nice, quiet Christmas, going to a movie and he is going to make us dinner. My daughter and what's his name are coming home tomorrow for the day so I am looking forward to that as I am also looking forward to forgetting about Brown until either 1/2 or 1/5. I need a break!!

I heard from a co-worker that our center manager fired one of our OMS clerks yesterday for failure to work as directed. He had asked her to go in to a trailer to look for a NDA pkg for the wife of one of our driver's (she owns a local business and we had put their pkgs on hold by mistake) and she failed to do so. The center manager and the rest of available management were all on road helping to deliver the late air and any left in building and when he came back the driver confronted him re: the package and that is when he fired the clerk. Merry Christmas.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Dilli, I'm sorry your Peak did not go as well as you may have liked but the best part about Peak is that it ends 12/24. Enjoy your Christmas with your significant other and forget about Brown for a while. My son and I are going to have a nice, quiet Christmas, going to a movie and he is going to make us dinner. My daughter and what's his name are coming home tomorrow for the day so I am looking forward to that as I am also looking forward to forgetting about Brown until either 1/2 or 1/5. I need a break!!

I heard from a co-worker that our center manager fired one of our OMS clerks yesterday for failure to work as directed. He had asked her to go in to a trailer to look for a NDA pkg for the wife of one of our driver's (she owns a local business and we had put their pkgs on hold by mistake) and she failed to do so. The center manager and the rest of available management were all on road helping to deliver the late air and any left in building and when he came back the driver confronted him re: the package and that is when he fired the clerk. Merry Christmas.

That's one reason I'll not go into mgmt. That would be a good thread; Reasons not to go into mgmt.

InTheRed

Here in sunny south Florida, was 80 something today. Normal sweaty Christmas eve, for us, don't know how I would do in the minus range.

The minus range is the worst! I tell these guys around here I'll do 100* and 100% humidity any day over 10*....or even the worst....33* with rain and wind.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My last stop was 7pm last night. Out in the country, wide open area, wind blowing drifts of snow over the roads. Next Day Saver. Couldn't get in the long drive, couldn't see the house from the road. I was helping another driver so wasn't familiar with the stop. Looked up the customer in the phone book. No answer. Called the center and they said EC it and call it a day. Worst Christmas Eve I've ever had.

What a day out here in the Chicagoland burbs, we had 350 stops and it was nuts out there. We ended up giving away about 70 stops at the end of the day and my driver let me go home at 6:30pm, with about 30 stops left, which he finished off.

I put in 6.5 hours and I'm pretty sure my driver ended up at around 11 hrs. My driver was kind enough to let me go a little early because I had been out in the ice & snow & winds and could not get warmed up, my face was so froze that I could hardly talk! Took me an hour to warm up again afterwards. The temp was in the teens out there with a constant wind of at least 20 mph for the entire afternoon.

From my viewpoint, it seemed that there were big discrepancies between driver loads yesterday, not sure how these get determined behind the scenes, but my driver got simply hammered in comparison to some others. Maybe others didn't have helpers onboard, or their residential routes were more spread out, hard to say. But some of the other drivers were way under 200 stops and actually got to go home early (or, on time), while my driver (and quite a few others) was out there 'til at least 8pm last night.

It was nice to see happy faces throughout the afternoon as we pulled up at their homes with their goodies.

I gave my UPS clothes back at the end of my shift last night and my driver was so cool, he gave me a nice Christmas card and tipped me for the month I've been jumping. Kinda sad to have my DH experience end, but then again, I am a little long in the tooth for it and it was tough on my 46-year-old body after being a desk jockey for most of my adult life. The pay, though obviously not much, was nice to have this month, and a Godsend in these tough times. Plus hey, I lost 20 lbs and am in the best shape I have been in for a few years, so it's all good!

I have a couple of job interviews scheduled in the next few days for a job in my area of specialty (IT project management), and God willing, I will be able to get back to that again after being out of work most of this year.

Merry Christmas to all of you UPSers out there and I wanted to further add that from my limited time with you out on the road, I am definitely impressed with the work ethic I have witnessed. I do not think the general public knows how physically and mentally demanding it is to be a UPS driver. It takes a huge amount of commitment to do it and those of you who are out there doing it every single day should be proud! I was proud to be part of it this season.

Peace out, Rod

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey Rod, your posts, from the front lines, were very informative. Thanks for documenting your experience for all to see. I've really enjoyed your posts and hope when you go back to "your" world, you'll not forget us here, on the Island of Misfit Toys. Good luck with your job search, fair thee well, my friend.

brownrodster

Peak is far from over here. Using any available helpers on friday after Xmas and next week. Thousands of undelivered Xmas pkgs. Customers are very unhappy. It's still snowing. None of the side roads are plowed. Snow is deep and hills are steep. A lot of walking to get very few pkgs delivered.

Peak is far from over here. Using any available helpers on friday after Xmas and next week. Thousands of undelivered Xmas pkgs. Customers are very unhappy. It's still snowing. None of the side roads are plowed. Snow is deep and hills are steep. A lot of walking to get very few pkgs delivered.

Sounds like a typical winter east of the Cascades...At least you are working. Thanks to the couple feet of snow I can work at least one more day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Thanks Upstate, Really wasn't all that bad by the end of the day. It didn't look so good in the morning though. I went to bed last night around 10, couldn't stay awake any longer. Slept until nearly 8 this morning. I'm usually up by 6/630.

I cooked a ham today and mashed potatoes/gravy, acorn squash, bisquits. It was pretty quiet here but I got to see my grandbabys for a little while. We got a bunch of new movies and have been watching them (except I took a 2 hr nap).

g-kids 004.jpg

James 18 mos, Kiley 4, Destiny 3
g-kids 004.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dilli, it sounds as though you had a nice, relaxed Christmas Day. Christmas is for the kids and your have 3 beautiful grandchildren. My son and I went to see "Valkyrie" and then he went to hang out with his friends. My daughter and what's his name will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to that as I haven't seen her since I helped her move to North Carolina in August. Her grandmother (my ex mother in law) lives less than 5 minutes away from me and we get along quite well so she will be joining us for part of the day.

I am off until 1/2 (maybe 1/5--depends if 1/2 is also a layoff day) and am so looking forward to a break.

Dave.

I'm getting my helpers for 2012, 2018, 2019 and 2020 ready ahead of time.
WOW! what a good looking group of kids Steve. You better hope that a couple of them go off to school or get married or something befor the youngest one is 13. I can't imagine living in the same house with 5...FIVE.... women!

brownrodster

December 29th was a gnarly day. Near peak day volume. Trailers held up at hubs finally got here. And we had a full crew of drivers out on vacation and minimal helpers. Snow is melted in the cities we deliver too. However, the more outlying county routes and routes at higher elevation are still dealing with snow. I punched out at 2100 and our parking lot was still full of drivers personal vehicles.

Anyone else get slaughtered by pickup volume today? Some business had 3 days worth of pickups today (24th, 26th, 29th). I heard of one route that had 20 pickups close before he could get to them.