Pension letter

kingOFchester

That is the one point I have been trying to make sure my co-workers understand. The company kept up their end of the bargain. The union dropped the ball.

Agreed.

Like when our HC deductibles go up next contract, and possible more cuts, it won't be UPS's fault, but rather the union once again.

kingOFchester

I think that any wage increases will be diverted directly to the pension.

I don't think so for us. Could be wrong. Again, I think they (teamsters) will have a hard sell to the current members if the contract doesn't have raises. For people like you, myself, and those close to retirement it would be ok to forgo raises for increase pension contribution. But for those who aren't close to retirement, who live at the edge or beyond their means.....it would be a hard sell. I would guess the latter are the majority.

Also, I wouldn't want any more money going into a pension that is falling UNTIL there is a viable solution other then throw more money into it.

Ms.PacMan

It will be hard to go into retirement with that much uncertainty.

Didn't Wegman (or some grocer) buy themselves out of your fund? Is that the reason UPS doesn't want to - it would be too detrimental.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree, but for my local, UPS has fulfilled their obligation by paying into the Teamsters pension. The Teamsters are the ones who are responsible for MY money. Ugh.
Same here. Just got a letter in the mail that our pension is being increased.

Not to stoked about that considering what the market just did.

Brownslave688

Give them time to screw that up. The union will want to get our hourly rate up as most people will only be concerned with that number. A concession COULD be UPS pays less per member into the HC.
Let's not forget Union dues are based on our pay. So the union will always want to get us raises.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your local already proved that doesn't work.

This is something that just really gets to me. People willing to let others have control of their money.

Like you, I would prefer that the $400/week be put directly in to my 401k; however, since that is currently not an option, I prefer to do all that I can to make sure that there will be a pension waiting for me in 2018.

Brownslave688

If you and the other PTers only knew how much power you all have.
Hell i am the one that had to point out that after 90 days the 1.50 raise was actually 50 cents and at the end of the 4 year progression it was 73 cents.

My BA raked me over the coals for pointing it out too.

rod

Retired 22 years
Give them time to screw that up. The union will want to get our hourly rate up as most people will only be concerned with that number. A concession COULD be UPS pays less per member into the HC.

The Company will offer the part timers $500 or maybe a $1,000 one time bonus and they will get all the YES votes they need. That trick has worked every time they have used it.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity