Pension letter

not really.
for a married couple you get 12,600 standard deduction ( if no itemizing ) and 8000 for exemptions. you can also still contribute to an IRA . up to 13000. ( we still max IRA every year )

so your taxable income would be around 28000 ( or less )or 15000 depending on what you do. your tax would be either around 4 grand or 2250. ( lower tax bracket ). The last full year i worked i paid around 15000 dollars in taxes. ca and state.

California state taxes are not that bad. we paid about 700 last year. our home value went up over 25k in 2015 so that more than makes up for the cost of living in Cali. we bought for 150k and can easily get 450k after only 20 years.

i'm just going by our situation. it wasn't so bad for us and we live in a high priced resort area. we are actually in a much better situation tax wise as when i was working.
You need earned income in order to put money in an IRA.
Just ask @Orion's my new BFF

Future

Victory Ride
According to the FNN, UPS is planning on buying out our pension. $3,500/month at 25 and out. From what I was told they really want to get rid of the older drivers so there may be additional incentives offered. I will be curious to see how this plays out.
When you say"additional incentives" ....what do you think that might involve?

upschuck

I would be surprised if anything like that happens before next contract negotiations, that would be a big chip for them to play without getting anything back.

Or maybe that is how they bought the "most ethical companies" award

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be surprised if anything like that happens before next contract negotiations, that would be a big chip for them to play without getting anything back.

Or maybe that is how they bought the "most ethical companies" award

They bought their way out of the New England plan and it was not a contractual issue.