Pension letter

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Really? Work for 30 years, receive retirement payments for 40 years?

...and the the pension funds should be able to remain
solvent all the while?

Yes. There are more and more people working for us. Its the Multi employer that is killing it. Each company should be responsible for their own. I do know UPS can cover theirs. The union needs to recognize that. Would be better for all

upschuck

And that's called a Ponzi scheme.

There simply was never enough money put in on current retirees behalf to sustain their benefits for 30+ years.

Like @PT Car Washer said it was based off someone living more like 10 years after retirement.
Not if invested correctly. A well run pension should be able to get the "base" 8% return, which would more than make up for the withdrawals.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not if invested correctly. A well run pension should be able to get the "base" 8% return, which would more than make up for the withdrawals.
They aren't allowed to invest that aggressively.

The big problem comes when the market tanks and they still have to draw all of that money out for pension payments.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They aren't? So much for a free country.

That is not considered aggressive by investment standards.
It depends on funding but less funded a plan is. The less aggressively they are allowed to invest.

So once it goes downhill there's no coming back.

upschuck

It depends on funding but less funded a plan is. The less aggressively they are allowed to invest.

So once it goes downhill there's no coming back.
I was talking from the beginning and your statement:
And that's called a Ponzi scheme.

There simply was never enough money put in on current retirees behalf to sustain their benefits for 30+ years.

Like @PT Car Washer said it was based off someone living more like 10 years after retirement.

35years

Gravy route
The problem is that all our pensioners were promised a fixed pension amount for the rest of their lives.
The laws protected the retirees.
Even if the pension became insolvent, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), which is a US government agency, would pay your pension.
So essentially the retirees had the federal government guaranteeing their benefit.

That changed in December 2014 with the passage of the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act of 2014.

To say the retirees did not plan well is simply not true.
For over 40 years the US government assured workers their pension was secured by the US government.
The federal government (with a congressional bill and Obama's signature) changed the rules overnight.

We all have to realize that none of our pensions are secure, and I would doubt anyone would say that Social Security is a sure thing down the road. My original plan was to retire after 30 years, but the writing was on the wall at that point.

Calling pension relief by the federal government a bailout is a misnomer... These funds were guaranteed by law to the pensioners.

Last edited: