Personal Day

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by BigBrown609, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

I put in for a personal day for this Friday. It was approved by my supervisor last week and he gave me my piece of paper with his approval on it. Today he tells me that the center will be busier than anticipated and they have to "revisit" my scheduled personal day. How much time do they need to be able to change my personal day?

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Talk to your steward.

3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Once they approve a day they can't force you to work. They can cry and beg you to work or try to lie to to to get you to work but you don't have to. You could work if you want to but it is your decision.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. bleedinbrown58

The problem here is...and it's always been this way since I've worked here. All personal day requests are done verbally. I've requested days off a month in advance....and gotten verbal approval from my center manager. Then the week of, I remind my sup...and it's oh I don't remember approving that.

5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

In my center you had to submit a request in writing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

8 days I believe. I wouldn't talk anymore about it unless he brings it up. I would say oh I won't be here I have an option day.

7. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

In my local, if they approve it and they then ask you to work, you're entitled to time and a half for all day

8. bleedinbrown58

Be a lot easier if that was the rule here.

9. JackStraw

JackStraw Active Member

You asked for the day, he gave it. End of story. If it's that important you won't go in. If you work, then it must not be that important.

10. mike1646

mike1646 Active Member

That's why I don't ask for days in advance. I just call an hour before my start time.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

I had a written request and then he gave me a written confirmation that it was approved.

12. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

If they ask you to come in just say that you have made plans because you were granted the day off, and won't change them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. You have "written confirmation that it was approved"? End of story. Enjoy your day off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Number one, not your problem! Number two stop feeling guilty! Number three don't cave in! Number four stand your ground! You get where we are going here right?

15. Brownslave688

It probably is.

16. rod

rod retired and happy

tell them they are causing you so much stress that now you are taking 2 days off

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. bleedinbrown58

Maybe....but I've never seen it done that way on preload here.

18. Brownslave688

Yeah your preload sups seem to get by without doing lots of procedural things. Like posting start times and such.

19. bleedinbrown58

That's just my center. The other centers and primary have always posted them.

20. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time they graduated to this century, and posted them. Have your BA ask them to do this.