Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the difference sure, but I'd encourage you to read the entire interview.

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

People are gonna look into it, and find videos of him at a church where he calls homosexual people perverse, full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. He says they are insolent, arrogant, god haters, heartless, faithless, senseless, ruthless, and evil.

His thoughts are wrong no matter how he words them. That is my opinion, and he is entitled to his.

I did read the article. I had no clue oh he was until I did. As I said in a different post, he could be he biggest :censored2: in the world BUT what he said in THIS article does not warrant the outrage or penalty he is getting for it.

Plus the interview arrangement , supervision during the interview, and probably the final approval was all n A&Es hands. So this caving to the outcry is cowardly and dishonest at best.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I did read the article. I had no clue oh he was until I did. As I said in a different post, he could be he biggest :censored2: in the world BUT what he said in THIS article does not warrant the outrage or penalty he is getting for it.

Plus the interview arrangement , supervision during the interview, and probably the final approval was all n A&Es hands. So this caving to the outcry is cowardly and dishonest at best.
I kind of agree, but that's Hollywood. Bill Maher was fired from his show Politically Incorrect, for being politically incorrect.

He might be in Louisiana, but he's employed in an industry based in Hollywood. Like I said, he's not the first and he won't be the last.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Personally, I found this the most offensive thing in the interview:

Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana
“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
I kind of feel the same way about that statement as I do about his statements on homosexuality. Not nearly as offensive as they are ignorant.

roadrunner2012

Troll
His (misguided) beliefs on homosexuality are religious in origin. His views on race are willful ignorance, and reminiscent of past idiotic celebrity statements on race. They are more offensive than the bestiality crap.

Personally, I feel, like some others here, that this is all a stunt to move some cheap Chinese tee shirts that are sitting unsold on the shelves of your local Walmartesque store.

brett636

Get over yourself. There is no right to not be offended. You don't like it, don't watch the show or buy the merchandise. The remaining 12 million Americans who will continue to do so could care less.

upsgrunt

Tolerance-
What makes Robertson's opinion any more wrong than that of your own?
An opposing viewpoint does not make a different viewpoint, or opinion, wrong just because one does not agree with it.
Some of you people are guilty of exactly what you do yourself.
There is a word for that- Hypocrite.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Get over yourself. There is no right to not be offended. You don't like it, don't watch the show or buy the merchandise. The remaining 12 million Americans who will continue to do so could care less.
Well, I suppose they've lost the gay and Black viewers, but there are plenty of racists and homophobes left to buy their cheap merchandise.

Git yerself down to Walmart right quick, before they're sold out.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Tolerance-
What makes Robertson's opinion any more wrong than that of your own?
An opposing viewpoint does not make a different viewpoint, or opinion, wrong just because one does not agree with it.
Some of you people are guilty of exactly what you do yourself.
There is a word for that- Hypocrite.

You talking to me?

I'll tell you why, it's based on ignorance. Willful ignorance, and religious bigotry, to be a little more exact.

upsgrunt

Is your opinion based on ignorance?
Your answer, of course, is no because of your beliefs are your opinion. What's wrong with allowing others the same freedom, expressed in, my opinion, a tasteful way?
Just because you don't like the message is no reason to not allow the opinion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

And that is offensive to you because it does not conform with your bigotry?
You did not grow up in the rural South of the 50's and 60's but in your ignorance, you know it exactly what was what back then in that area.
I picked cotton, cut sugar cane and worked in tobacco fields in South Georgia.
No one liked it but we were paid the same (actually kids like us were paid less).
Were they Godly? They were religious. Were they singin' the blues? Yeah probably the precursor to the blues.

Now, if you want to assert that Phil has selective memory and remembers pretty much only the good things ... that's fine.
I don't think I would like Phil too much my self but I am a rather tolerant and could probably work with him but not my friend.
I don't know either of you but from what I have seen, he is no more of a bigot than you are.
Your bigotry is just more socially acceptable.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is your opinion based on ignorance?
Your answer, of course, is no because of your beliefs are your opinion. What's wrong with allowing others the same freedom, expressed in, my opinion, a tasteful way?
Just because you don't like the message is no reason to not allow the opinion.
A&E expressed their opinion on the matter.

I kind of agree, but that's Hollywood. Bill Maher was fired from his show Politically Incorrect, for being politically incorrect.

He might be in Louisiana, but he's employed in an industry based in Hollywood. Like I said, he's not the first and he won't be the last.

In todays day and age it seems to be the thing to be "outraged". Even more so to call for the termination of someones job along with it.

The only way to get to any solution though is $$$$. Don't like what someone does? Take steps to avoid putting dollars in their pocket.

roadrunner2012

Troll
In todays day and age it seems to be the thing to be "outraged". Even more so to call for the termination of someones job along with it.

The only way to get to any solution though is $$$$. Don't like what someone does? Take steps to avoid putting dollars in their pocket.
I believe that's what A&E did, unless it is all part of the plan to more unsold merchandise.

A&E expressed their opinion on the matter.

Don't be naive. A&E were fully aware of who this person was, what his beliefs were,how many ducks he had sex with in his videos,his driving record, and whether his toilet paper rolls from the top or the bottom.

The interview was arranged, taken, and reviewed with their consent.

upsgrunt

I'll take that one step farther and add that everyone is always "offended" by something. There is not one thing that is acceptable to one that does not offend another.
It's become almost comical that people have become so intolerant of one another. It's almost as if it's a game to see who can "one up" someone else because they are more offended than the next.

upschuck

I think people in general need to grow a few more layers of skin. Just because some people don't agree with what someone does, does not mean they hate them and want them all dead.

roadrunner2012

Troll
And that is offensive to you because it does not conform with your bigotry?
You did not grow up in the rural South of the 50's and 60's but in your ignorance, you know it exactly what was what back then in that area.
I picked cotton, cut sugar cane and worked in tobacco fields in South Georgia.
No one liked it but we were paid the same (actually kids like us were paid less).
Were they Godly? They were religious. Were they singin' the blues? Yeah probably the precursor to the blues.

Now, if you want to assert that Phil has selective memory and remembers pretty much only the good things ... that's fine.
I don't think I would like Phil too much my self but I am a rather tolerant and could probably work with him but not my friend.
I don't know either of you but from what I have seen, he is no more of a bigot than you are.
Your bigotry is just more socially acceptable.

A bit assuming, aren't we?

Precursor to the Blues? In the 50's and 60's?

Did them smiling darkies use the same water fountain as you? In town too? Did they go to the same schools? Have the same opportunities?

I'm sure they were smiling and grinning and saying 'thank you, massa' all the time.

Willful ignorance exposed again. It's amazing how different people of different backgrounds have different memories of the same era.

I'll take that one step farther and add that everyone is always "offended" by something. There is not one thing that is acceptable to one that does not offend another.
It's become almost comical that people have become so intolerant of one another. It's almost as if it's a game to see who can "one up" someone else because they are more offended than the next.

My view has always been is there hate behind what someone says? Does someone say something to attack?

oldngray

nowhere special
Phil called himself white trash and he worked in the cotton fields next to black men so I would say he shared many similar experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.