Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Phil called himself white trash and he worked in the cotton fields next to black men so I would say he shared many similar experiences.

Do you really believe that? You believe that there was no segregation in North Louisiana in the 50's and early 60's?

Bless your heart.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A bit assuming, aren't we?

Precursor to the Blues? In the 50's and 60's?

Did them smiling darkies use the same water fountain as you? In town too? Did they go to the same schools? Have the same opportunities?

I'm sure they were smiling and grinning and saying 'thank you, massa' all the time.

Willful ignorance exposed again. It's amazing how different people of different backgrounds have different memories of the same era.
You use very abusive language in referring to people of African descent (although actually all of us are of African descent).
I assume you hate them like you do yourself and everyone else based on your posts here on BC.
My perception of you is that you are not a nice person but that's OK ... I don't have to like you or work with you or be your friend.
But I will continue to try and have discussions with you.

My remembrances:
I do remember them smiling and saying "Thank you son" all the time. They were adults and I was a teenager.
We did drink from the same bucket of water from the same ladle.
Your posts expose your ignorance and bigotry with every post and I firmly believe you never experienced any of the racial prejudice that you speak so knowledgeably of.
You just know stuff you have seen on TV and the movies and you think that is authoritative. It is not.

Yes I went to schools with "Coloreds" as they were called back then in high school. I never heard anyone refer to them as darkies.
Did they have the same opportunities ... apparently yes as many of the people I went school with became community leaders, teachers, business owners, etc. Many did not but pretty much at the same rate as Whites who did not apply themselves.
I find it ironic that many of these unsuccessful whites hate dark-skinned people because "they got all the breaks and took what should have been mine".

Perhaps I was not quite old enough to actually experience what you speak of but I can authoritatively speak of what I experienced.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
You use very abusive language in referring to people of African descent (although actually all of us are of African descent).
I assume you hate them like you do yourself and everyone else based on your posts here on BC.
My perception of you is that you are not a nice person but that's OK ... I don't have to like you or work with you or be your friend.
But I will continue to try and have discussions with you.

Bless your heart, that's the nicest insult I've received this year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My bad, I though Georgia was still pretty segregated.

https://www.google.com/#q=segregation in georgia

I never said Georgia or anywhere in the USA was never segregated.
I know about and even experienced segregation as opposed to you.
You forget the North was segregated as well especially once all the Blacks migrated North (especially Detroit) to get their fair share of the American Dream.
Ever watch WWII movies or on TV, no Blacks were mixed with the regular troops.
Ever watch any Blues documentaries? Black band members had to find hotels different from their White band members and that was in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and any other bastions of racial equality.
Granted, the South was a few years slower to change than the North and the West in eliminating segregation but it lagged less than a generation.
I spent a lot of time in New Jersey and some time in Chicago. I honestly have to say I saw more bigotry and racism there in the 90's and 2000's than I ever saw in the South. I spent a good bit of time in Seattle and I did not see it there ... it was much like Atlanta.

I guess I should add that my experience after age 18 was living in Atlanta which is probably much different than other parts of Georgia.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't think you really understand Detroit, and why it ihas become what it is today. But rest assured, it's coming soon to a location near you.
I think I understand Detroit well enough.
What has happened in Detroit is due to fiscal irresponsibility.
The US government is going down that same path.
Georgia, and many other states, have a requirement of a Balanced Budget as part of their constitution.
Georgia, again, may lag behind the rest of the mired in debt USA.

slaveofbigbrown

I've never watched the show and I don't plan to in the future.

I find all these reality shows objectionable.

I do watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers ... not sure if they are considered reality shows.
I do realize these are scripted but you do learn something from them.
Pawn stars is cool! Ivwish I could come across some of the stuff people bring in.

Sent using BrownCafe App

island1fox

No, I don't think they are at the heart of the matter.

Is your relationship with your wife only about the act of having sex with her?

Hoax,

Obviously we all have opinions.

If you do not believe sex between a man and a man or woman and woman --is not at the height of controversy --you are missing something.

Sex is a major part of our Married life together. If we are all the same --have the same parts --there would be no "man" and no "woman" ---

I do not disagree that people should have the right to love and live with whom they choose to --I draw the line --when people do not respect my views ---that the sexual relationship is "different" --not less or better --just different----otherwise there would either be no gay people or no straight people.

It is just reality --I did not create the world --Just try to live in it.

When the Duck guy pointed out the obvious and true fact of the difference --it was labeled "vile and outrageous"

If you are gay --be proud of your preference ---If you are straight --be proud of your preference---the problem comes in when people insist that ALL must agree there is NO difference.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax,

Obviously we all have opinions.

If you do not believe sex between a man and a man or woman and woman --is not at the height of controversy --you are missing something.

Sex is a major part of our Married life together. If we are all the same --have the same parts --there would be no "man" and no "woman" ---

I do not disagree that people should have the right to love and live with whom they choose to --I draw the line --when people do not respect my views ---that the sexual relationship is "different" --not less or better --just different----otherwise there would either be no gay people or no straight people.

It is just reality --I did not create the world --Just try to live in it.

When the Duck guy pointed out the obvious and true fact of the difference --it was labeled "vile and outrageous"

If you are gay --be proud of your preference ---If you are straight --be proud of your preference---the problem comes in when people insist that ALL must agree there is NO difference.

Maybe in the church ... I can see that. The church is about controlling behavior.

When a person loves another person it is not about sex ... that is lust and a biological and physiological need and a good thing.
I guess my relationship with my wife seems much more important than 30 minutes of sex (or maybe 2 sometimes).

I happen to be heterosexual and that's just the way I was made but I am not proud of it.

I agree on the tolerance of others. I have friends and relatives who are homosexual and it never occurs to me to like or dislike.
I might dislike the fact that a good-looking woman is a lesbian but in reality I wouldn't be getting any anyway so it really does not make a difference to me.

With that said (not cohesively I realize), I guess we can agree to disagree on what is really important - relationship or sex.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I once was sent 2 pictures......one was of 2 sexy naked women cavorting in bed......it was ok.
The other was of two gays (bears) cavorting naked on a couch....big turnoff makes you kind of sick picture.....but that's just me.

If they want to be together so be it.....but be sure to close the drapes!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I think I understand Detroit well enough.
What has happened in Detroit is due to fiscal irresponsibility.
The US government is going down that same path.
Georgia, and many other states, have a requirement of a Balanced Budget as part of their constitution.
Georgia, again, may lag behind the rest of the mired in debt USA.

You havent the FIRST clue what happened to Detroit. You believe you do, but you want to only repeat what you hear lately, versus the reality of the state of michigan.

Detroit, "the motor city" used to be a booming town with plenty of jobs for people to start a career with. That all changed in 1980 with the election of Ronald Reagan who set out along with the republicans in congress to KILL the unions and the jobs the unions protected. The term "free market capitalism" is the guilty party, and not fiscal irresponsibility as you claim.

First, GM pulled out of Michigan, then other corporations did the same with the republicans blessings. Onward to Canada, Mexico & China to make parts, engines, transmissions and wiring for cars. It was the free market at work. Leave the USA and exploit slave labor and abandon the american workers, cities and families. These large corporations abandoned cities leaving the government to provide for workers until the money just ran out.

Next, technology took jobs away from the auto workers. As computers and machines replaced the auto worker, the city began its slow death. When americans dont work, taxes arent paid, mortgages arent paid, property taxes are not paid, merchandise isnt sold etc etc etc..

But this is FREE MARKET capitalism at work.

YOU, like the others, support this concept because it sounds great, but then complain when you see the results of it.

OHIO is in the same boat. Lots of things used to be made there, but once again, FREE MARKET capitalism took over and the corporations there left for Mexico and China. TOLEDO Ohio was the Detroit of its time.

Now, China, Singapore, Budapest, Mexico, Canada, Vietnam, Korea and South America are the industry capitals of the world, and this thanks to Ronald Reagans revolution against the american worker.

For you, you see the end results, fiscal dependancy on the government and you want to blame an accountant?

Get a clue bub.

TOS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You havent the FIRST clue what happened to Detroit. You believe you do, but you want to only repeat what you hear lately, versus the reality of the state of michigan.

Detroit, "the motor city" used to be a booming town with plenty of jobs for people to start a career with. That all changed in 1980 with the election of Ronald Reagan who set out along with the republicans in congress to KILL the unions and the jobs the unions protected. The term "free market capitalism" is the guilty party, and not fiscal irresponsibility as you claim.

First, GM pulled out of Michigan, then other corporations did the same with the republicans blessings. Onward to Canada, Mexico & China to make parts, engines, transmissions and wiring for cars. It was the free market at work. Leave the USA and exploit slave labor and abandon the american workers, cities and families. These large corporations abandoned cities leaving the government to provide for workers until the money just ran out.

Next, technology took jobs away from the auto workers. As computers and machines replaced the auto worker, the city began its slow death. When americans dont work, taxes arent paid, mortgages arent paid, property taxes are not paid, merchandise isnt sold etc etc etc..

But this is FREE MARKET capitalism at work.

YOU, like the others, support this concept because it sounds great, but then complain when you see the results of it.

OHIO is in the same boat. Lots of things used to be made there, but once again, FREE MARKET capitalism took over and the corporations there left for Mexico and China. TOLEDO Ohio was the Detroit of its time.

Now, China, Singapore, Budapest, Mexico, Canada, Vietnam, Korea and South America are the industry capitals of the world, and this thanks to Ronald Reagans revolution against the american worker.

For you, you see the end results, fiscal dependancy on the government and you want to blame an accountant?

Get a clue bub.

TOS.

At least you stumbled on something other than Bush.

I'll stick with my analysis over yours.

States with Balanced budget requirements are doing well.
States that don't, not so well.

You forgot to mention the cozy relationship between Michigan and Detroit governments and the Unions.
Unions feeding money to politicians and Unions getting huge wages and pensions with no means to sustain them.
Even Michael Moore brought that out.

Corporations suck but governments are much worse on the citizens.
Maybe Detroit and Michigan will look at Balanced Budget states and learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.