Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upswife75

1) I went back and looked at every single post and not one person brought up First (and 14th) Amendment rights but you.
Fight with yourself much? :wink-very:

2) I swept floors and cleaned tables at my high school and college to pay for my meals. Didn't bother me and I feel it made me realize that it was up to me to take care of myself ... not the government or any other entity that decides to confiscate money from others to pay for my needs. I am a better person for the experience of cleaning up the lunchroom.

I didn't mean people HERE making that claim, Hoax. I meant people in general, since this whole mess started. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I have seen make that claim on fb, some even calling for government action. It's silly.

I swept floors and cleaned tables when I was in elementary school, but then, EVERYONE had to do it. We took turns, to teach ALL the kids some responsibility, not just the poor kids. What is hilarious is that the d-bag congressman who made this point is also one of the same ones that whined about congress changing from a 3 day work week to a 5 day work week, claiming that it took too much time away from their families. Oh boo freaking hoo, you have to work a full work week, like most taxpayers (who are paying YOUR paycheck) do. Could you imagine this guy being a helper? He wouldn't make it a day. He'd likely be like the one my husband had one year that decided she should use her umbrella at every stop because it was sprinkling outside.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
At least you stumbled on something other than Bush.

I'll stick with my analysis over yours.

States with Balanced budget requirements are doing well.
States that don't, not so well.

You forgot to mention the cozy relationship between Michigan and Detroit governments and the Unions.
Unions feeding money to politicians and Unions getting huge wages and pensions with no means to sustain them.
Even Michael Moore brought that out.

Corporations suck but governments are much worse on the citizens.
Maybe Detroit and Michigan will look at Balanced Budget states and learn something.

I guess you believe everything you hear. MI is a balanced budget State. There is more to the picture than is explainable in a post here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I didn't mean people HERE making that claim, Hoax. I meant people in general, since this whole mess started. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I have seen make that claim on fb, some even calling for government action. It's silly.

That's why I started this thread ... and it's usually the left screaming 1st Amendment rights being violated.
So turnabout fair play.
Now when the right is screaming 1st Amendment rights being violated, I have to point out the hypocrisy.
No one bit.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
That's why I started this thread ... and it's usually the left screaming 1st Amendment rights being violated.
So turnabout fair play.
Now when the right is screaming 1st Amendment rights being violated, I have to point out the hypocrisy.
No one bit.
That's just idiotic.

upswife75

So turnabout fair play.
No one bit.

No one here bit, but they have elsewhere. I got into it with a friend about it earlier today, actually. I tried to point out that his opinion about it being wrong that Robertson being fired isn't the same as it actually being illegal. As much as some want to, they can't change the definition. I've seen both sides cry about it at different times, including when the Dixie Chicks made their comments and Bill Maher. Meh, screw them all. This is why I'm a registered independent. Both sides of the fence have gone insane and tend to be hypocritical when it suits them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess you believe everything you hear. MI is a balanced budget State. There is more to the picture than is explainable in a post here.

Every state except Vermont has some type of Balanced Budget requirement. Some are better than others.
Most states Balanced Budget requirements restrict the issuance of new debt (bonds) and some prohibit borrowing against future project revenues.

Michigan's was weak and not enforced by the politicians until recently.
Now that Pubs have taken over, enforcement has increased albeit with not exactly glowing non-quantifiable results.
Detroit's cure is like cancer treatment ... killing the cancer along with the body or almost.

Georgia's is strong and has real teeth and has been followed strictly for more than a century.
Georgia requires all local governments to have balanced budgets.
People whined and cried here when the state had to cut back in 2009 - 2013 but Georgia had a balance surplus every year and other than the affected employees, the effect was not noticeable.
Georgia also did not accept the ACA medicare funding associated with setting up an Exchange because the cost after 3 years would cause the state to go into an unbalanced budget condition.

This is Michigan's legislation:
"Proposed expenditures from any fund shall not exceed the estimated revenue thereof."

A state that has a real balanced budget requires the entire budget of the entire state be balanced.
For instance:
The Georgia Constitution makes it illegal for the General Assembly to pass an operating budget that anticipates expenditures exceeding funds available. If the budget becomes unbalanced after the start of the fiscal year, then the governor must call the General Assembly back into special session to make changes to the budget. The amended budget will either raise revenues or cut expenditures or provide for a combination of both.

island1fox

wow !!!

TOS---The Democrat control of Detroit for over 50 years---the corruption in government --many local officials in jail ---and rampant crime and drugs and gangs --nothing to do with Detroits downfall !!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If that were true then why didn't the overseas divisions of GM , which were & still are very profitable provide the bailout funds GM needed ?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No one here bit, but they have elsewhere. I got into it with a friend about it earlier today, actually. I tried to point out that his opinion about it being wrong that Robertson being fired isn't the same as it actually being illegal. As much as some want to, they can't change the definition. I've seen both sides cry about it at different times, including when the Dixie Chicks made their comments and Bill Maher. Meh, screw them all. This is why I'm a registered independent. Both sides of the fence have gone insane and tend to be hypocritical when it suits them.
But...Robertson wasn't fired?

island1fox

If you had an "indefinite suspension" what would that mean to you?

It means you may or may not work for A&E AGAIN --Technically not fired --slight wiggle room.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you had an "indefinite suspension" what would that mean to you?

It means you may or may not work for A&E AGAIN --Technically not fired --slight wiggle room.

At least enough wiggle room to get through the 2014 season ... filming is finished and A&E plans to leave Phil in all episodes.

My guess is ratings will be up in 2014 ... especially the episodes that feature Phil in significant parts.

island1fox

Hoax,

I will agree to disagree with you --we have done so civily before.

I should just drop it --I feel my points on reality were clear.

My belief that the sex is different -straight vs Gay --has nothing to do with God or Religion.

I stated I am straight and others are Gay --fine -live with ,love have a relationship and sex with whomever you want.

Just do not insist that I have to recognize it is the same.

People want their views to be accepted --yet call other people haters and homophobs

The duck man described the sex --and he was labeled a hater--homophob --course language and vile and outrageous.

Nothing to do with God or peoples freedoms --I believe the sex act between two men is vile and outrageous --feel free to do it ---do not insist that I have to believe it is acceptable.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
vmzkw6.jpg

Boom.... Headshot !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So turnabout fair play.
No one bit.
That's just idiotic.
As a follow up, I was watching/listening to George Stephanopoulos this morning and he said almost exactly the same thing and then followed up with, "Where was Sarah Palin when the left was claiming 1st Amendment rights ..."

wkmac

vmzkw6.jpg

Boom.... Headshot !

5 times as many people voted for Obama as watch Duck Dynasty!

Boom....Headshot Back!

This is why appeals to majority or bandwagon fallacies fail. Besides, Miley Cyrus twerk video got more views in 24 hours than Americans showing support for Phil so what does that say? Phil made the comments he made but it's nowhere to the level of being an enemy of humanity as some appear to try and paint him. But inside a political narrative and purpose, Phil is fresh bait for both sides of the isle. This was never about belief and personal principles as it was about politics/ideology and that motive is way beyond Phil's paygrade.

As to bandwagon fallacies, mass support doesn't prove something right or wrong because the masses has been wrong time and time again and thus no indicator of truth.

Now if you want to talk about "Manufacturing Consent" and how that works!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
5 times as many people voted for Obama as watch Duck Dynasty!

Boom....Headshot Back! (I usually wear a kevlar helmet). Ha!

Besides, Miley Cyrus twerk video got more views in 24 hours than Americans showing support for Phil so what does that say?

And that.... is so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.