Pre loader belt question

klolx

Hello UPSers!

I just have a question about the person that's supervising the belt.

Is he/she called a belt steward or supervisor?

Is he/she going to be there all the time?

I'm just curious because my belt person is currently still training/observing me and sometimes helping me when I'm stacked out. Also, how long does the training last?

Thank you!

2Slow

Steward is a union position, never (NEVER) a supervisor. (though in some cases they will act like one)
Your supervisor may be called many things, most of them uncomplimentary, but Never steward.
The training lasts until they think you can do it or until they get busy elsewhere, whichever comes first.

BTW, the official title is most likely "Part Time Supervisor".

menotyou

bella amicizia
A part time sup can only touch packages during training for 15 minutes. Then, they can only advise. Their job is to SUPERVISE you working.
su·per·vise
[-vahyz]
- verb (used with object)-vised-vising 1.*to watch over and direct

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A part time sup can only touch packages during training for 15 minutes. Then, they can only advise. Their job is to SUPERVISE you working.
su·per·vise
[-vahyz]
- verb (used with object)-vised-vising 1.*to watch over and direct
That is not true. As long as the hourly is not working but observing, the supervisor can train all hours. I can't tell you how many people we have seen injured on the job, to come back to work and "observe" the supervisor for 3.5 hours in the unload to keep them off of the DART list.

The concept is, the Teamster is getting paid.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our BA told us this. I understand the concept of 'watching them work', but it is our job, not theirs. Contractually, that is what is agreed to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our BA told us this. I understand the concept of 'watching them work', but it is our job, not theirs. Contractually, that is what is agreed to.

Contractually, casuals are not allowed to get their hours, which are not guaranteed anyway, by working in the hub, yet they do in Black River.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Try reading pg 214 of our contract, Dave. If they aren't scheduled for two or more days on the road, they work in the center. Read the big words on the pages of the blue book. Have dictionary handy. I think you will need it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, according to OUR BA, they are part time cover drivers. But, Mr. Scaredipants won't call his own BA for fear of all the crows he would be eating.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could see where letting the casuals get their hours by working on the inside would be a nice thing to do but only if no PTers are displaced as a result. If this is the case I would think the PTers would have a legitimate beef.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I could see where you actually reading the local riders might help with 'knowing it all'. They have seniority over them, and as a result they are displaced. Novel idea coming, call your BA. He negotiated those riders. When those PT'ers are hired, management should make clear what the rules of the game are. Or, better yet, the union should be holding orientation with the new hires. None of these will occur, especially, you reading the contract that you work under.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just read the section your referenced--I suggest you do the same as this has nothing to do with casuals. It refers to PT seniority employees working as PT cover drivers. This is why they are able to get their hours by working on the inside.

Thanks for playing--have a nice day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I just read the section your referenced--I suggest you do the same as this has nothing to do with casuals. It refers to PT seniority employees working as PT cover drivers. This is why they are able to get their hours by working on the inside.

Thanks for playing--have a nice day.
Casuals no longer exist in our area. PT cover drivers, is it. I don't care if they work every day. You are wrong. As I said in the other thread where you posted this, I have used the language to get many PT covers out of warning letters for no call no show. I am sure that teacher in Syracuse let all those warning letters get dropped just because he likes my sweeat ass and apples. Yeah, sure.

klolx

So its a part time sup? Well he only made me do 2 trucks today and he did the 3rd one but he makes me do the 3rd truck from time to time when he has something to do. Also, I forgot about the 70 day probation. What is it again?

Thank you :)