Preliminary Read on Medical Plans

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's life expectancy, not life span. Life expectancy is an average of all deaths. In 1940 people had to deal with diseases that we don't now. That brought life expectancy down.
Yes, as I was saying, people didn't live as long then. Glad you figured it out.
But more people are doing it now [living longer] because of medicines that have been developed.
Yes, life expectancy increases with developments in medicine and such. Glad you're catching on.

But plenty of people lived into their 80's back then.
"Plenty of people" most certainly did. Most did not.

vantexan

Yes, as I was saying, people didn't live as long then. Glad you figured it out.

Yes, life expectancy increases with developments in medicine and such. Glad you're catching on.

"Plenty of people" most certainly did. Most did not.
Nope, the deaths of a lot more babies, children, young adults from diseases like polio and tuberculosis brought life expectancy down. Average of all deaths. But plenty of people lived into their 70's, 80's and beyond. The cemeteries are full of them. People didn't die of old age at 62.

59 Dano

He said life expectancy in 1940 was 62 and there were very few seniors who lived past 62. No, a lot more people died young because of disease. They didn't get old and die at 62. If they stayed healthy plenty of them lived into their 80's. He is saying there were very few seniors past 62. He's trying to justify not having SS.
I said no such thing. Looks like reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

vantexan

Let's be truthful about the reality. Life expectancy in 1940 was 62 years. You weren't eligible to collect benefits until age 65. Stop acting like there was this big problem of all these old people struggling with poverty. Most people weren't living long enough to struggle with poverty in old age.
You absolutely said what I claimed. Looks like lying to cover your tracks isn't your strong suit.

59 Dano

No, you're trying to say they don't do anything to deserve the company matching their SS tax. Those companies can't exist without the rank and file. How would you keep your job without couriers? They're just doing the bare minimum? Really?
No, I'm saying that if you don't like the pay and benefits of your employer, get a new employer. This isn't really that hard for most of us to understand. You, on the other hand.

vantexan

No, I'm saying that if you don't like the pay and benefits of your employer, get a new employer. This isn't really that hard for most of us to understand. You, on the other hand.
Except at least half of all jobs are wage slave jobs with no upward mobility. Stop trying to justify taking away SS so that you can do better for yourself.

59 Dano

Nope, the deaths of a lot more babies, children, young adults from diseases like polio and tuberculosis brought life expectancy down. Average of all deaths. But plenty of people lived into their 70's, 80's and beyond. The cemeteries are full of them. People didn't die of old age at 62.
No one said they did, van. Would love to explain the basics of actuarial science related to this topic, but I don't have the patience for all the ignorant objections and denials you'd raise.

Needless(?) to say the program was set up the way it was for a reason, and that reason was life expectancy.

59 Dano

Except at least half of all jobs are wage slave jobs with no upward mobility. Stop trying to justify taking away SS so that you can do better for yourself.
Who said anything about taking SS away? As for upward mobility, half of jobs offer none and less than half of all working people even want it.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I have the 80 broad myself and will again next year due to some underlying medical issues. While 1300 deductible for single individual is higher then I’d like, after I hit that I normally don’t pay much in medical costs (80/20 split at that point) and the max out of pocket is 3200 for my plan anyways in case I have major medical issues.

Until health care industry is actually reined in or we finally go universal health care this is only going to get worse for majority the country.

Now if I was trying to insure a family on FedEx plan I might be singing a different tune but as for individual coverage only it seems pretty average for what is offered out there.

One thing people don't bring up about the health industry is the price gouging that doctors do. Go to the hospital and get some aspirin and they charge you $100 for $.50 worth of aspirin. Go to the doctor and have liquid nitrogen put on a wart and your insurance gets charges $250 for "surgery" that only took 10 seconds. Go to your doctor for just an annual office visit where nothing happened and your insurance gets charged $250 for basically nothing. Doctors and their price gouging are a big part of the problem, not just the insurance companies.

vantexan

Oh? Go look at what I said and compare it to what you claim I said.
Tap dance much? You said most people weren't living long enough to claim Social Security. Again, because I know this is hard for you to grasp, life expectancy of 62 doesn't mean dying by 62 for most people. It means the average of all deaths works out to 62. It was that low not because people were living to 62 and dying. It means a lot of younger people died back then due to diseases and that brought the overall average down. Plenty of people, millions, lived to a ripe old age. By the way when they said in 1940 life expectancy was 62 they meant for those born in 1940. My dad was born in 1939. He and millions of seniors have lived into their 70's, 80's, and beyond here in Florida. So why didn't they all croak around the turn of the century? Because healthcare got better. A lot of disease eliminated. So we aren't having young adults and children dying in the numbers they had in 1940. That brings the average up higher. Which actually dipped a bit in recent years because of the opioid crisis and criminal violence.

Last edited:

bacha29

One thing people don't bring up about the health industry is the price gouging that doctors do. Go to the hospital and get some aspirin and they charge you $100 for $.50 worth of aspirin. Go to the doctor and have liquid nitrogen put on a wart and your insurance gets charges $250 for "surgery" that only took 10 seconds. Go to your doctor for just an annual office visit where nothing happened and your insurance gets charged $250 for basically nothing. Doctors and their price gouging are a big part of the problem, not just the insurance companies.
If the doctor is on insurer assignment say BC/BS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc, they agree to accept the insurers allowable charges as payment in full for coded services at a price that was previously negotiated.

No one is saying that they don't get paid well but given today nearly all healthcare is managed care there is at least some effort to control costs and with the ACA get people some insurance.

Good to see some honest talk regarding these troubling matters.

bacha29

Perhaps it can be best summed up by what a friend said to me after he was in an industrial accident in his early 60's that left him in considerable to this very day.

"If you CAN retire....retire because you just don't know what your health is going to be like".

Guitarman01

FedEx does have some pretty good vision insurance. They pay for 100 percent of your contacts if ordered from the Davis collection, which is pretty unheard of. They also pay about 50 percent towards LASIK, alot don't trust that surgery though myself included.

bacha29

FedEx does have some pretty good vision insurance. They pay for 100 percent of your contacts if ordered from the Davis collection, which is pretty unheard of. They also pay about 50 percent towards LASIK, alot don't trust that surgery though myself included.
Helps you to better see the tiny numbers on your paycheck?