Problem with doctor's note?

Interstellar16

Struggling Biochem major
I'm a fairly new hire. I've been there for almost a year, nine months exactly. I've never taken a day off until today because I have food poisoning, which is able to be treated at home. However, my boss wants a doctors note for food poisoning. The problem is 1. I don't have a primary care doctor, 2. It's just food poisoning. I don't have to go to the doctor for that and 3. I'm too sick to even go to the doctor. I don't think he'd believe me. He's been on my ass since he was transferred there. The guy really acts like he doesn't like me. So what other options do I have? I don't want to get fired for this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rack em

Made the Podium
You won't get fired so don't worry. And with this being your first time calling in there is no reason you should need a doctors note. Just ignore your boss and if he keeps bothering you for calling in sick one day then hand him a harassment grievance instead of a doctors note.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I don't know of anyone ever fired for taking a single sick day off, doctors note or not. Generally doctors notes are only required as a verification on questionable days, like the Friday before a Monday holiday weekend, or for lengthy absences, like over 4 work days etc.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It's a HIPPA violation for him to even ask you. Get human resources and your steward involved if you have to.
Wrong. Get a refund on that jailhouse law degree! An employer may request a doctor’s note as part of its sick leave or attendance policy.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I'm a fairly new hire. I've been there for almost a year, nine months exactly. I've never taken a day off until today because I have food poisoning, which is able to be treated at home. However, my boss wants a doctors note for food poisoning. The problem is 1. I don't have a primary care doctor, 2. It's just food poisoning. I don't have to go to the doctor for that and 3. I'm too sick to even go to the doctor. I don't think he'd believe me. He's been on my ass since he was transferred there. The guy really acts like he doesn't like me. So what other options do I have? I don't want to get fired for this. Thanks.
You don't need a doctor note unless you are out 4 days in a row.

He is trying to intimidate you into not calling in sick again.

And I call in sick sometimes 10 days a year (2 and 3 days at a time) so as not to build up to 7 occurrences.

And there are years I don't call in sick at all.

It's a tough job.

I'll take the days off I need to so I can get better.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wrong. Get a refund on that jailhouse law degree! An employer may request a doctor’s note as part of its sick leave or attendance policy.
The employer may request a note, but it does not need to give any information except the person was excused from work and may return, or not. It does fall under medical privacy rights to need not explain WHY.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The employer may request a note, but it does not need to give any information except the person was excused from work and may return, or not. It does fall under medical privacy rights to need not explain WHY.
You don't need to quote me, I know what they can and cannot do and I know what the HIPAA law entails but thanks for saving me from having to type that out to some schlep.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
They can request all they want, but if I am not out 4 days, they ain't getting it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't need to quote me, I know what they can and cannot do and I know what the HIPAA law entails but thanks for saving me from having to type that out to some schlep.

While you may know what the HIPPA law entails, your answer to BostonBo should have included "....but may not inquire as to the nature of the illness..."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He is correct. Yes, the employer can require a doctor's note saying employee was seen on this date and can return to work on this date. They cannot ask about what the illness was, nor are you required to tell them. That is a HIPPA violation.

As apparently Dave said before me....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Management will feed you any BS they think you will believe. Follow the proper call in procedure and contact your steward and tell him about your manager demanding a Dr note.