problem with management

qaun1

I have a problem, I passed my probation about 2 weeks ago (been at my hub for almost 4 months) and now our full time manager/supervisor or something has been on my case about my performance. i unload about 900-1100 boxes per hour on average and my supervisor normally doesn't say anything to me because I keep a good pace and get stuff done on time. or at least my supervisor doesn't say anything to me specifically. but the full time manager has been saying that if i don't step it up then they are going to stop letting me come in to work and apparently he has been telling other people i work with that they are going to fire me if I don't step it up soon. i'm already passed my probation and I don't think he should be telling other people this? I'm wondering what i should do

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I have a problem, I passed my probation about 2 weeks ago (been at my hub for almost 4 months) and now our full time manager/supervisor or something has been on my case about my performance. i unload about 900-1100 boxes per hour on average and my supervisor normally doesn't say anything to me because I keep a good pace and get stuff done on time. or at least my supervisor doesn't say anything to me specifically. but the full time manager has been saying that if i don't step it up then they are going to stop letting me come in to work and apparently he has been telling other people i work with that they are going to fire me if I don't step it up soon. i'm already passed my probation and I don't think he should be telling other people this? I'm wondering what i should do
Just tell him you're trying your best and leave it at that. No one has ever been fired for production. You're going to hear something similar to this for the next 30 years or until you find a better job.

If they do an OJS on you, do not speed up. Work at the same pace you always do. This is where people get in trouble and get disciplined. When they are being observed, they speed up, whether they realize it or not.

Then they can discipline you for failing to work unsupervised as supervised.

Don't worry what he tells other people and work at your own pace.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Just say, "I'll work on it." and keep doing what you are doing. Ignore everything else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is just trying to light a fire under your butt and is trying to use peer pressure to get you to work faster.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you have your union book the manager has zero power. Kiss the ring and work slower. Bathroom breaks on the clock as breaks for water.

alwaysoverallowed

Welcome to UPS this is how it is; but it doesnt have to be. Since you're asking for advice here's mine:

1st do as said above and do the yes sir, no sir dance
2nd when the harrasment keeps up, and it will because this is UPS, ask what advice does the sup have to perform the task to their satisfaction, they won't have any because well this is UPS or if they do have some it's just to work fast(because UPS). Politely tell them you are working to the best of your abilities.
3rd when the harassment keeps up ask if you are going to be disciplined if the answer is yes invoke your Weingarten rights and ask for a steward or as known on the cafe a Stuart or Stewart.

If it gets to number three the sup will end his harrasment because the IBT doesn't recognize preformance nor should they ever.

Dr.Brownz

Welcome to UPS this is how it is; but it doesnt have to be. Since you're asking for advice here's mine:

1st do as said above and do the yes sir, no sir dance
2nd when the harrasment keeps up, and it will because this is UPS, ask what advice does the sup have to perform the task to their satisfaction, they won't have any because well this is UPS or if they do have some it's just to work fast(because UPS). Politely tell them you are working to the best of your abilities.
3rd when the harassment keeps up ask if you are going to be disciplined if the answer is yes invoke your Weingarten rights and ask for a steward or as known on the cafe a Stuart or Stewart.

If it gets to number three the sup will end his harrasment because the IBT doesn't recognize preformance nor should they ever.

this

Talk to your Steward. Make him aware of the situation. If he's worth anything he will get this to stop with a simple passing comment to the manager. Thats how things are handled here, tell the steward and he tells management to :censored2: off for you. At the very least the steward should know in case later you have to file a grievance. My advice is keep your nose clean and file as many grievances as you can. Collect as much free money as you can. That is the only thing UPS cares about: MONEY. They don't care if get a break or a vacation or how you feel about anything they do. They WILL CARE once you start taking there money and that is when you will see results. Don't let them intimidate you. If you file grievances and management harasses you contact a lawyer immediately, and inform the harrassing manager you will be doing so. No need to yell or get mad, just calmly state your intentions.

fres431

Union doesn't recognize numbers we recognize Safety, follow the 8 keys work as directed. Ask to be trained, then ask for a hourly to train you which you can do. Then after your training challenge the manager giving ya crap to a unload race. I've done it many a time as well as challenged division manager. I tell em I'll have more respect for ya when ya unload a pig in less the a hour or if you out unload me till then I'm going to do what I do.

fres431

Union doesn't recognize numbers we recognize Safety, follow the 8 keys work as directed. Ask to be trained, then ask for a hourly to train you which you can do. Then after your training challenge the manager giving ya crap to a unload race. I've done it many a time as well as challenged division manager. I tell em I'll have more respect for ya when ya unload a pig in less the a hour or if you out unload me till then I'm going to do what I do.

jrh

the way i see it, a supe is just a conduit for the instructions of the higher ups; so if the supes are telling you to speed up when you haven't actually slowed down, you can safely assume it's just in response to pressure from higher up the chain. Supes are always struggling to make their numbers, but remember they're the ones who chose to become supes. They aren't the ones wearing down their bodies for a paycheck, but you are. Never take anything a supe says personally

andrsnbkj

Just friend them all they can't do the job any better than you can. Although your out there everyday while the sit the fat asses down behind a computer