Problems with people working “off the Clock”?---Here you go

Rawrzxor

I've noticed this possibly happening at my hub, except with more subterfuge. When I come in, the clock sometimes shows that I was paid from 5:30/5:15 whenever I clock in at 5. The sups say that's just because of break, but break should be subtracted after the hours--and, even still, that's a 10 minute break, not a 30 minute one. I haven't really checked my hours yet, but if they are doing this, then they're making me work 2.5 hours for free. In all fairness, I don't know, and the full-time says that he changes the time for everyone to what start time was. However, I find it difficult to believe that he makes a point of manually seeing when people come in. That entirely defeats the purpose of having to clock in. Not to mention clocking in early and going to work, only to find out that you weren't paid

In addition! My very first month, I was working 8-9 hour days. They only paid me for 4 hours per day. This was after my training week. My previous full time sup said, "Oh, well, I'll just give you the extra dollar." He never did. It was never resolved, because they don't :censored2:ing keep the records on the scanners longer than 3 days, so I can't prove that I actually worked. :censored2:ing shady.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You are doing far more damage to your fellow union brothers and sisters by working for free, than by filing a grievance against UPS--repeat--UPS, for allowing this to happen. There is no reason to argue against those who feel that working for free is ok, and that only hurts the one working for free. If you don't comprehend the macro picture at work here, you never will.

But rest assured, working for free is on par with crossing picket lines, which I assume you feel should be up to the once individual Teamster.

Are you dense?

Not once have I condoned working off the clock nor said that I do it (I don't in case you are wondering). I have merely pointed out that there are other ways to take care of drivers who do other than attacking them! Holy mother of Jesus how many times I I have to say this!

OPTION3

You are doing far more damage to your fellow union brothers and sisters by working for free, than by filing a grievance against UPS--repeat--UPS, for allowing this to happen. There is no reason to argue against those who feel that working for free is ok, and that only hurts the one working for free. If you don't comprehend the macro picture at work here, you never will.

But rest assured, working for free is on par with crossing picket lines, which I assume you feel should be up to the individual Teamster.
He doesn’t work off the clock...what he REALLY wants is the right to work off the clock if he WANTS to....SMH

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It would bother me as you weren't well informed of the possibility of getting hurt while not on the clock.
I know what disability pays, 300 a week.. workers' comp is 850 something

consider that

If your family suffers from that ... I'll feel bad and will pray for ya. bs aside
Gettin' pretty deep around here, I better get my boots on :happy-very:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Are you dense?

Not once have I condoned working off the clock nor said that I do it (I don't in case you are wondering). I have merely pointed out that there are other ways to take care of drivers who do other than attacking them! Holy mother of Jesus how many times I I have to say this!

You sound like you haven't filed many grievances. So let me educate you how it typically works. There is a procedure. You first address the problem. You talk to the person working off the clock, you tell them they cannot work off the clock. You tell them it is a violation of our approved contract. You tell them it hurts them and everyone around them. You also tell them if they do it again, you will file a grievance against UPS for letting it happen.

Now, if you think that is attacking another Teamster, then you need to man up and add another layer of paper mache over your feelings. What it is, is protecting our contract, and protecting these people from themselves. Damn, you are like talking to a teenager.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Quite obviously that does not work because everyone in this forum says that this continues to go on and every one of their Hubs and centers.

How about if you address the short staffing and overworked preload the problem of needing to load your truck disappears and therefore no one could do it even if they wanted to.

You then would not have to address the problem with a fellow teamster, there would be no arguments and fighting amongst union brothers.

Sounds like a real good time doesn't it?

But you'd rather get into fights and arguments with your union brothers just like you do on this forum.

Talking to you is like talking to my dog.

Even children doing childish things know when it's best time to stop talking.

I'm out

PT Car Washer

about time...

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif
I bet he comes back.

Dracula

Quite obviously that does not work because everyone in this forum says that this continues to go on and every one of their Hubs and centers.

How about if you address the short staffing and overworked preload the problem of needing to load your truck disappears and therefore no one could do it even if they wanted to.

You then would not have to address the problem with a fellow teamster, there would be no arguments and fighting amongst union brothers.

Sounds like a real good time doesn't it?

But you'd rather get into fights and arguments with your union brothers just like you do on this forum.

Talking to you is like talking to my dog.

Even children doing childish things know when it's best time to stop talking.

I'm out

See ya...

Dracula

Hey everyone. UPS is UPS. Guess what? They're gonna short shift us. They're going do everything in their power to make our life tough. Is this new news to anyone here?

What is your reaction? Are you like ShiftingContents, and think you should do whatever it takes to make your life easier, or do you think you should buck up, continue doing things by the book, by the contract and work to keep all of the people you work around to stick together doing the same?

Or do you cower down, also like ShiftingContents, and say, "Hey, UPS is real mean, and it's every man to himself. What could possibly go wrong with an 'every man to himself' philosophy?"

If you bow down every time UPS makes it hard on us, guess what--you're not cut out for this. Cutting corners and turning a blind eye to fellow Teamsters openly ignoring our contract is a pathetic way to work at this company. Do these people even comprehend how we make the money we make and the benefits we enjoy?

Thank you, ShiftingContents, for tapping out. Who needs to argue with dumbasses that speak Greek?

Tough Guy

It's my experience, that regardless if whether or not drivers sort their trucks early, run, skip lunch; or don't do those things that may affect time allowances for better or worse;

That management will still cut routes, over dispatch trucks, and cut corners whatever way they can. All this regardless of whether the driver does all that or not.

Tough Guy

That is to say, they might use the under allowed from runners and what not as an "excuse" for when they do try to cut corners with routes, but I'm sure we've all seen it happen either way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That is to say, they might use the under allowed from runners and what not as an "excuse" for when they do try to cut corners with routes, but I'm sure we've all seen it happen either way.
Truth. The big driver for dispatch isn't over/under, it's revenue. Over/under is a useful measuring stick at the ground level but the real metric that determines how many routes get put in is cost. Less drivers doing more work = lower labor costs = higher profit per package. In that sense having a couple runners in the group actually decreases the pressure for production because it makes it easier for the center manager to make his stops per car while keeping his over 9.5 number low.

Dracula

It's my experience, that regardless if whether or not drivers sort their trucks early, run, skip lunch; or don't do those things that may affect time allowances for better or worse;

That management will still cut routes, over dispatch trucks, and cut corners whatever way they can. All this regardless of whether the driver does all that or not.

Right. No matter what YOU do as a driver, or a part-timer, UPS will do what they do, whether you like it or not. Justified or not. So why not keep both of your feet on the ground, do your job the way you've been trained, and make your money the honest way.

There's a million reasons to do things the wrong way, and very few to do it the right way. The right way will always be the right way, but there is a boatload of ShiftingContents out there that say the easy way is always the right way...even when they say they do things the 'right' way.

wayfair

swollen member
Explained to a new seniority driver the importance of standards the other day... he kept complaining about always having to finish loading it before he leaves. Told him to tag it sort n load.... people started to bitch about too much AM time. He told them that he had to wrap it up everyday and had to code it out that way. They then got on to him that he wasn't supposed to do that, he's new and was scared after the way they talked to him. Hopefully I got his mind right about the games that happen and to remember that it's all business. Take care of number one and keep doing what you're doing until they adjust it

throwaway10

We have idiots here that do the same thing... doesn't matter labor laws and union rules prohibit management from knowingly allowing it... once you file/notify it should stop fairly quickly..
Also for the employees who just don't get it... watch what happens if/when you get hurt "working" off the clock. You will be at fault(this goes for driving on your break, too)