Providing

Jeremaih156

I wanted to know if any part time preloaders are able to provide without a second job. I would get one, but I'm a full time college student.

upschuck

I wouldn't worry about others habits, and concentrate on your own. Calculate how much you make each month, calculate how much you spend each month, if spend > make, then you need a second job, or cut your spending. Keeping up with the Jones' will send you to the poorhouse, no matter how much you make.

Kis124

I make enough to get by. But my kid is grown, and has her own income. I also fill in at our customer center 2-3 times a month

UPSGUY72

I wanted to know if any part time preloaders are able to provide without a second job. I would get one, but I'm a full time college student.

Part time jobs aren't met to live off of. They are there to supplement a FT job or provide a little extra money when you in school and someone else is paying most of the bills.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
During peak time, yes, I can more than get by on just my UPS check. But I make a lot more than new PTers. And newbies bringing home $200 a week...I don't know how anyone could live on that alone.

Jeremaih156

[quot"bleedinbrown58, post: 1436489, member: 46975"]During peak time, yes, I can more than get by on just my UPS check. But I make a lot more than new PTers. And newbies bringing home $200 a week...I don't know how anyone could live on that alone.[/quote]
Well I'm not actually paying all my bills. Just my car and gas right now. Saving up for an apartment next year

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
[quot"bleedinbrown58, post: 1436489, member: 46975"]During peak time, yes, I can more than get by on just my UPS check. But I make a lot more than new PTers. And newbies bringing home $200 a week...I don't know how anyone could live on that alone.
Well I'm not actually paying all my bills. Just my car and gas right now. Saving up for an apartment next year[/quote]
You're expecting a kid? You're gonna need another job for sure.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
When I was a part timer I took a second job as a male model...had to give alot of refunds so I took a third job to pay for the second job.

Kis124

I also make more than the newbies. I clear anywhere between 350-750 a week depending on how much I cover the counter. I also average about 24 hours just on preload.

PT Car Washer

True. But I am suggesting there are other opportunities if you know about them. Driving air in Saturdays and through the week , double shifting, moving to another sort for more hours. Most likely have to get another FT or PT job to make ends meet. That is what most of us have had to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea, I just thought it would make me feel better hearing other opinions. Supposedly I'm expecting a child

If you are pregnant. Ups is not for you. Its a very physical job

No woman would ever say "supposedly I'm expecting a child". The OP is a guy who may or may not have knocked up some girl. If this is indeed the case you can delete "full time college student" as your facebook status.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
No offense, but this is a silly thread. We can get into a political argument about the part-timing of America and the stigmatization of wages... but that won't change the fact that this is a part-time job in which, per UPS's own numbers, most persons working every day will take home less than $10,000 within their first year of employment. I'm certain there's some places in the USA in which you can get a low-rent room in a shared house/apartment, ride public transportation to work, shop frugally, forgo most luxuries and ultimately live off of $10,000 without assistance... but realistically, for most people, yeah it's tough.

You're a FT college student. That means in less than four short years, you'll be working a FT job that will provide you with a living wage (unless you're really naive and are majoring in something like Latin). Kudos for you for working while going to school FT... most students don't. And sometimes it's better not to -- focusing on your studies and participating in major-related co-ops and internships will typically lead to better offers upon/nearing graduation.

But to answer your question, yes, there are plenty of PTers here who live off just this job. All of them have been here a long time, longer than you've been alive. But the real question is... when you're working a low wage, menial job and attending college FT... why on Earth did you choose to conceive a child? And yes, you choose to; your mom was lying when she said the Stork brought you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No woman would ever say "supposedly I'm expecting a child". The OP is a guy who may or may not have knocked up some girl. If this is indeed the case you can delete "full time college student" as your facebook status.

"Knocked up" is always funny.

EastBrown N Down

I work a ft job where I make over 25hr. I work at ups pt, and I run a business selling art. And I often do not have anything left for savings/fun after the bills, and the little ones needs and wants are taken care of. So NO you cannot support yourself, and a child on a bullshat pt gig.. BTW if you don't have an apartment, where's the kid gonna sleep? Priorities son... git some.