Pru 401(K) just started showing up in paycheck?

Flex

Not signing up is that. NOT SIGNING UP, what don't some of us get this isn't about the pros and cons of 401k. They are taking money without permission. Why talk about how or where people want to save or invest their money?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not signing up is that. NOT SIGNING UP, what don't some of us get this isn't about the pros and cons of 401k. They are taking money without permission. Why talk about how or where people want to save or invest their money?
Why talk about it? Because I'd prefer not to have money taken from me to support all of the idiots too dumb to save a few percent now.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Because those people start saving at 55 and those of us who started young end up paying taxes to support them. The amount they pay is so small it shouldn't matter. I signed up for it right away. Can't miss the money if you've never had it.

I've been unloading for nearly 7 years, I recently transferred from another hub just a few hours south. Just a few weeks ago I checked online direct deposits and a new feature its showing is "Pru 401(K)" (I'm guessing pru= prudential?) is coming out of my paychecks when I did not ask or sign up for anything to be coming out. I didn't sign up for anything but its coming out, almost a full 3%.

They also show I've taken vacations on the # of hours listed at the bottom which is rich because we haven't even scheduled vacations yet. I printed off a copy of my check and wrote a note and gave it to my soup but this week its still showing I took one. Havn't missed a day yet this year so I'm scratching my head, havn't even been paid for it (shucks)
I've had more than my fair share of bowls of soup this winter so far. Hang in there.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My dad says the same thing.

I finally listened. 10% 401 for the last 3 years, and now UPS stock also. Portfolio diversity for the win :)
Mine as well. He's a smart dude with money and has kind of been my financial advisor. Told him about the 401K stuff when I was offered it and he told me to jump on it. Followed his advice and I'm happy with where I am at my age.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mine as well. He's a smart dude with money and has kind of been my financial advisor. Told him about the 401K stuff when I was offered it and he told me to jump on it. Followed his advice and I'm happy with where I am at my age.

My son recently started his first "real" job and one of the first things that I advised him to do was to start his 401k. The company (Cobham) offers a full match up to 4% and will match an additional 1% if he bumps that up to 6%. He chose to start at 4% as he has a ton of student loan debt to whittle down but he hopes to be able to go to 6% within the next few years as his salary increases.

I was just saying that the tax hit on the selling it would be greater than the 5% discount presently getting.
Let me rephrase. If you put away 10 or 20 bucks a week away. You would have probably spent that money anyways. Its not a bad deal for people who can not save.

I don't own UPS stock anymore.I max out a Roth IRA for the wife and myself. And out 7% in the pretax 401k

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Is your UPS stock in a Roth? The 5% discount UPS offers now, is not good enough to consider that a win.
No ups stock doesn't go into your 401k. It's its own account.

What makes it worth it to me is discount + dividend + no commission fees + after two years the availability of the money.

I think of ups stock less as a retirement account and more as a high interest savings account.

upschuck

No ups stock doesn't go into your 401k. It's its own account.

What makes it worth it to me is discount + dividend + no commission fees + after two years the availability of the money.

I think of ups stock less as a retirement account and more as a high interest savings account.
When I cashed out my stock, I believe I had to pay like a $15 transaction fee, or something like that, which could be considered a commission fee, taxes on the dividend and the growth more than overtake the 5% discount. That is why I said the Roth would be a better way of saving, and never had to do it, but believe you can withdraw the amount of money you put in Roth without penalty. Depends on what your objective is, I guess.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When I cashed out my stock, I believe I had to pay like a $15 transaction fee, or something like that, which could be considered a commission fee, taxes on the dividend and the growth more than overtake the 5% discount. That is why I said the Roth would be a better way of saving, and never had to do it, but believe you can withdraw the amount of money you put in Roth without penalty. Depends on what your objective is, I guess.
I payed taxes on 14k in capital gains from UPS stock last year. What was left was still money I wouldn't of had otherwise. I'm not a moreluck. Not gonna die with my money for fear of a tax hit.