Pumping gas on route

GatoBrown

For any one wondering I did pre trip, my gauge read 35 % which was enough on some routes but it wasn't enough for this route. Lots of hills.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Do you not have pumps in your center?

I have seen centers where almost everyone has a fuel card and I have seen centers where it's virtually impossible to get one.
We had gasoline pumps and the diesels had gas cards. Then we switched the pumps to diesel and now the new vehicles are all coming in gas. Every vehicle has a fuel card now.

MaceFremonti

Lots of smoke( if it starts at all) and eventual engine destruction if allowed to continue running.

I was talking to an old feeder driver from the midwest last winter and he told me that they put a few squirts of gasoline in their tanks to keep the fuel lines from freezing up overnight.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I was talking to an old feeder driver from the midwest last winter and he told me that they put a few squirts of gasoline in their tanks to keep the fuel lines from freezing up overnight.
It would take a lot more than that in a tank that size to do anything meaningful with that respect. Better off keeping it plugged in.

JL 0513

Gas cards are expensive apparently. My card expired and they didn't have the budget to replace it. I had to write down the number off another gas card and the gas station clerk has to put it in manually.

This is what I don't understand. Why do fleet cards cost anything, if they do? They should be free just like any personal credit card. Unless it's because they don't make any interest off these big companies that pay the full balance each month.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Gauges don't always accurately reflect the quantity of fuel in the tank but you keep on relying on it.........
The newer gasoline powered cars have a restriction in the neck of the filler to prevent a larger diesel nozzle from being inserted by mistake. This makes it impossible to visually confirm that the tank is full. The only foolproof method would be to top the tank off every morning before leaving.

trickpony1

This makes it impossible to visually confirm that the tank is full. The only foolproof method would be to top the tank off every morning before leaving.

.....or do what some private pilots do and go to the hardware store and purchase a 1/2 inch wooden dowel to "stick" the tank(s) with.

I know.........I know.........this may take a precious 30 extra seconds of AM time.

Darn!.....I guess it's better than running out of fuel.

But what could I know........

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
.....or do what some private pilots do and go to the hardware store and purchase a 1/2 inch wooden dowel to "stick" the tank(s) with.

I know.........I know.........this may take a precious 30 extra seconds of AM time.

Darn!.....I guess it's better than running out of fuel.

But what could I know........
Just make sure it isn't short enough to drop inside like out shifter did.

trickpony1

Just make sure it isn't short enough to drop inside like out shifter did.

I think they are 3 foot in length.

Stick the 3 foot dowel in the tank until it bottoms out. Measure an appropriate length for a "handle". Cut off remaining dowel. Fill tank full. Stick tank and mark on dowel where the "full" fuel level is. Then you will know.

Rocket science.

soberups

I think they are 3 foot in length.

Stick the 3 foot dowel in the tank until it bottoms out. Measure an appropriate length for a "handle". Cut off remaining dowel. Fill tank full. Stick tank and mark on dowel where the "full" fuel level is. Then you will know.

Rocket science.
Or you could just pull up to the pump in the morning, stick the fuel nozzle in, and pump gas until it shuts off. No need to buy a dowel rod, no need to measure a dowel rod, no need to cut a dowel rod and no need to store a gasoline/diesel-soaked dowel rod in your locker or have it roll around on the shelf all day only to get lost when your route gets loaded in a different car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Or you could just pull up to the pump in the morning, stick the fuel nozzle in, and pump gas until it shuts off. No need to buy a dowel rod, no need to measure a dowel rod, no need to cut a dowel rod and no need to store a gasoline/diesel-soaked dowel rod in your locker or have it roll around on the shelf all day only to get lost when your route gets loaded in a different car.

You don't top the tank off? I can usually get another 5-6 gallons in after the pump initially shuts off.

soberups

You don't top the tank off? I can usually get another 5-6 gallons in after the pump initially shuts off.
You can do that in a diesel because the filler neck is basically a big hole in the top of tank with a cap on it, and there is plenty of extra room for more fuel if you pull the nozzle almost all the way out and continue pumping after it shuts off the first time. The gasoline cars have a restriction in the fuel neck with a spring-loaded plate that closes the hole, so when you put the nozzle in it "bottoms out" in the neck and its more difficult to top off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can do that in a diesel because the filler neck is basically a big hole in the top of tank with a cap on it, and there is plenty of extra room for more fuel if you pull the nozzle almost all the way out and continue pumping after it shuts off the first time. The gasoline cars have a restriction in the fuel neck with a spring-loaded plate that closes the hole, so when you put the nozzle in it "bottoms out" in the neck and its more difficult to top off.

I can usually an extra 2-3 gallons in my Altima.