Putting in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow (srs)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by klolx, Jul 18, 2012.

1. klolx

klolx New Member

Please respect srs tag

So I talked to hr and my full time sup today about giving my 2 weeks notice tomorrow. I will be going back to school full time. I just don't see myself working for UPS for the next 20 years, don't get me wrong I loved the experience, great sups and co workers. I actually felt sad knowing I will be leaving UPS but it's time for me to move on.

"Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become.”
  2. btrlov

btrlov Member

Honestly you should consider doing both at the same time. Fulltime school is good but it often is just a bunch of state workers, over paid paper pushers, and Professors whom use power point slides more than they actually teach. An industrial money machine that perpetuates itself often losing the spirit of education.

Make sure you get good grades, kiss up to instructors(so they can write a decent letter of rec later on, if u wanna go for grad school) and do internships. Make sure your major is targeted and marketable. keep ups on the back burner till you get a good internship.

Take it from a college grad, school can be a tremendous waste of time and money w/o planning
  3. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

you should stick with UPS till you finish school, even if it takes longer

the extra dosh every week is always good, and don't forget the tuition assistance UPS offers
  4. eedsegura

eedsegura New Member

Don't do something you'll end up regretting. Goes both ways.
  5. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

They must like you . your lucky they didnt say go now.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

If you can you should try to do both with the emphasis on the school.
  7. working up a sweat

working up a sweat Active Member

I recommend talking to your sup about getting on the re-hire list. You stated that your time there in a positive manner. You never know about the future, you might want to come back someday. Also get a withdrawal card from your union local. If in the case you come back, you will not have to pay initiation fees again.
  8. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

You're PT or FT? If PT I don't see how you couldn't do both if you wanted.
  9. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...normally I would agree with you but in this case I don't---the guy is leaving to finish his education--I still think he should try to make it work...
  11. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I would give both a shot for a while and if you see that UPS is getting in the way of your education, then by all means.
  12. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Would you pay a dime to see this?

Good for you. Do yourself a favor and find a useful major. College is a waste of time and money if you are getting into a field where there is no real-world demand.

Best wishes!
  13. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

i say stay as a Saturday-only driver... and maybe peak winter driver during your college breaks
  14. klolx

klolx New Member

Thank you for the replies. I have everything planned and got the max pell grants and financial aid for school and will also be getting GI bill from the military as well as housing allowance. So I'm not too worried about anything. I will also be doing work study at my school so I'll have extra money for myself. As much as I hated UPS, there's still a part of me that loves everything about it. It is pretty bitter sweet.
  15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Well gee, you could have mentioned all that in the beginning (not that it's any of our business).

Reach for the stars my friend for the whole world is out there if you want it bad enough. Good luck.
  16. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

if you have military reup finish 20
  17. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Use your brain, not your braun. Two words, good for you!!!
  18. btrlov

btrlov Member

I haven't even touched my gi bill yet because i graduated before joining the military. And I wont touch until I Know that grad school/professional school/trade etc will teach me something that I like and most importantly, IN DEMAND/MARKETABLE. Re-up in the Navy, Coast Guard reserve or air national guard... complete your 20 and get a easy pension from that. Stay pt UPS....if your going away for school then arrange for an educational transfer. If the school is expensive Utilize UPS tuition assistance, so you can pocket more of your pell and BAH. KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN!
  19. velle1203

velle1203 New Member

Congratulations!Like others said If you can stay do so and take advantage of the tuition help and weekly "change".But if your carrying a heavy course load then school would have to be your main focus.I feel you on the bittersweet part!Im taking up 15 credits this semester and 2 are online.I have a sub teaching license and contemplated staying on overnights.Follow your heart I'm pretty sure it'll lead you the right way 'god":wink2:
  20. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

brawn, and that was three words. ;)

I say use both if you can and have the ability. Use it or lose it - either way you'll want both when you get old.