Putting in My Letter of Intent

clean hairy

Here is one for you.
You do an audit and are instructed to find 3 things that the driver could improve on.
In your observation, the driver does everything by the book.
You see nothing that needs improvement.
Being honest, you would have zero items the driver could improve on, but if you do that, you are not working as instructed.
Here is the quandary: do you submit an HONEST evaluation of the driver, or be dishonest and make up 3 things which are not true to meet the expectations of your Boss?
If you select the second, what other dishonest acts will you commit against employees to make your Boss happy?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They all got good jobs and are (seemingly) happier.

Life isn't all about money (as I've said before) but you'd think the wage makes the person who they are by what they have.

Fool's gold.
UPS Management are at average for the industry.
The industry is below average.
Few have degrees in trucking.
UPS is highly and widely recognized as a very well managed company
By people who make decisions in hiring.
None who care anything about what UPS drivers think.
Also, they don't get jobs in the trucking industry when they leave.

10 point

UPS Management are at average for the industry.
The industry is below average.
Few have degrees in trucking.
UPS is highly and widely recognized as a very well managed company
By people who make decisions in hiring.
None who care anything about what UPS drivers think.
Also, they don't get jobs in the trucking industry when they leave.
They don't take "trucking jobs" because it's against the standing pension rules.

I'm not degrading or demeaning management jobs or the employees who work them. Some like the transition from driving to managing. Some have the qualities to survive in a quality way. Pick your poison. There's no perfect job.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
More like.....

How dare you suggest that our policy is causing services failures!?!! Oh you have a "solution"!?!?!? Thanks but no thanks. And next time you try and fix anything you better be ready to pack your bags, put the house up for sale, and yank the kids out of school because you will be transferred.

Every driver I know who hopped to the other side are miserable , depressed and wished they never did it.

Greed was their choice.

Two were forced to relocate.

You better hope some upper management doesn't have a hard on for you already for past actions as a driver!

How many years driving you have?

Good luck your going to need it!

Big Babooba

I was asked by my center manager many years ago to put my letter in. I refused. When he asked my why I refused I told him, " You eat your own". 25 years later I am thankful that I didn't.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just about every driver I know who went into management either regrets it or doesn't appear to be any better off. Two have since quit, two others made it to center manager and then got busted back down to oncar and transferred to other buildings one was busted for changing timecards the other was just incompetence (couldn't make his numbers or whatever). There's a couple others who I really couldn't say because they're dicks and I don't talk to them, they didn't have any friends when they were drivers and they don't have any friends now. Another guy has a medical condition that was going to eventually prevent him from passing the physical so he didn't have much of a choice but he seems to be doing alright, he's a good dude. None of them ever seem to make it to other areas of the company either they all just stay right here in operations, I've seen a couple come back with the ORION implementation teams but that's just temporary duty, when it's over they go right back to package. I've had occasion to talk with 4 managers who left UPS, 3 who retired and one who quit, and all 4 of them were unequivocal about how much they hated the company by the time they left and how happy they were were to be gone. Years ago I was pressured to put my letter in, thought long and hard about it and said no and I've never regretted that decision.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.